Laura Lepisto's Comments about Male Skaters | Golden Skate

Laura Lepisto's Comments about Male Skaters

Well, at least she thinks French male skaters are hot. I wonder if she has anyone in particular in mind. :)

She should start a movement for Ladies to be the sole competitors in Figure Skating. Why not? Certainly they are followed in America with great care. Moreso than other disciplines.

wishmaker

Rinkside
I know there is this freedom of speech, but with this article and with Elvis/Skate Canada still perking, I wish the figure skaters would just focus on the Oly. This controversy on being feminine and being macho really is insulting the figure skaters. Maybe there's something to be learned from all these articles - 1) will encourage and discourage figure skaters to work harder ; 2) figure skaters should be careful not to put their shoe (actually skate) in their mouth forgetting that there is a blade which is hurtful.

enlight78

Medalist
I think it is funny and riddiculous. When are we going to start talking about the so called "masculine" female skaters.The fact that Luara finds the European men to be most masculine make sense since European ladies are also the most masculine.;)

i love to skate

Medalist
She should start a movement for Ladies to be the sole competitors in Figure Skating. Why not? Certainly they are followed in America with great care. Moreso than other disciplines.

Because in many other countries they are not the focus. For example, here in Canada we have a history of following men and pairs more so than ladies. Also, not every woman skater wants to be a singles skater. Each discipline has their own unique qualities to offer.

berrycute

On the Ice
There are a few ladies who were seen as "too masculine" and had to try and feminize their styles, eg Midori Ito, Irina Slutskaya

But I think people are getting worried about feminine male skaters because people don't like feminine men. I find that really nasty. Who are we to tell people how to act? There's nothing wrong with being "feminine", whether you're a skater or not!

antmanb

Record Breaker
There are a few ladies who were seen as "too masculine" and had to try and feminize their styles, eg Midori Ito, Irina Slutskaya

Tonya Harding, Yoshie Onda, I suspect Alena Leonova will also come under fire much like Slutskaya.

The pattern is simply this - you absolutely MUST stick to your own gender stereotypes otherwise there is something wrong with you.

Unless you absolutely blow the rest of the field away....like John Curry.

I totally agree with you berrycute it's totally wrong. The men criticised for being to "feminine" i find extremely extremely enjoyable. Equally the more "masculine" female skaters are a breath of fresh air for the plinkety plokenty piano skating ice pwincessezzzz

Ant

But I think people are getting worried about feminine male skaters because people don't like feminine men. I find that really nasty. Who are we to tell people how to act? There's nothing wrong with being "feminine", whether you're a skater or not!
Yet they will defend the overuse of glitzy costumes for the men. No?

berrycute

On the Ice
Yet they will defend the overuse of glitzy costumes for the men. No?

True, but most of the criticisms for men's costuming are over how "feminine" the costumes are. I'm thinking the Swan costume Johnny wore in 2006, all the talk over that being to swan-princessy, whereas I thought fashionwise it was better than his blue Otonal outfit, which was absolutely heinous but received no nasty comments because it was more "masculine".

Wicked

Final Flight
True, but most of the criticisms for men's costuming are over how "feminine" the costumes are. I'm thinking the Swan costume Johnny wore in 2006, all the talk over that being to swan-princessy, whereas I thought fashionwise it was better than his blue Otonal outfit, which was absolutely heinous but received no nasty comments because it was more "masculine".

Masculine costumes are boring!

janetfan

Match Penalty
oh no, not another my eyes are dying royal blue.
:unsure:

Don't worry seniorita, Scott is a big fan of Plushy and already has a very special costume for him........(blue, did you say blue? ;)
This costume will be reserved special and only for Plushy to wear....:laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Will scott get out of his closet his winning olympics one? :eek:yes I know how big fan of plushy he is:unsure:
Well, at least she thinks French male skaters are hot. I wonder if she has anyone in particular in mind.
well all skating fans have the same one you have in mind. Now it seems skating ladies also think the same. It is contagious probably.;)