Yagudin Requests Alcohol Rehabilitation Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yagudin Requests Alcohol Rehabilitation Program

Linny

Final Flight
Cheesy

Yes, "Feelings" is cheesy. However, Brian Orser skated to a cheesy Neil Diamond song and turned it into something wonderful. Perhaps Alexei will do the same...
Linny

Wow, great review of Alexei's Simsbury performances. Maybe "Feelings" is one of those soufflé programs that can only rise under just the right conditions and can easily deflate. As you might imagine, I'm not a fan of the song. (A bar patron at a place I worked in college would come in every night and play "Feelings" over and over and...need vomit emoticon here.) But as Linny pointed out, sometimes skaters can turn cheesey songs into some of their most memorable programs. Let's let it simmer. Loved your description of Yags slapping the ice as if to say, "Don't even think about it!"

I LOOOOOOVVVVVE Michael Nyman's music and I can only imagine that Nyman and Alexei can create magic together. Loved the description, "Deep, yet not dark." Your review made me really anxious to see it. Did I miss the obvious or is this going to be televised? If so, when? Also, from your description of the speed and intensity of Alexei's footwork both in this piece and "Racing," even if his hip prevents him from returning to multi-quad eligible competition, it sounds like Yags is still master of the ice when it comes to bringing an audience to both an audible hush and roaring cheers. So very glad to hear it and hope Yags continues to find happiness and creative satisfaction in his performances even though the hip will probably never allow him to be the jumper he used to be. I'm very bummed, of course, since we won't get to see him skate as often, but since I've been going to SOI, which is over 10 years now, the most memorable performances are those where the choreography, music, and the skater's soul react with each other to make a completely unique and emotionally affecting performance. The jumps are thrilling, naturally, but short of an unexpectedly amazing recovery, I'm hoping Yags will find a way to keep making great skating magic in spite of his hip.

OT: I've always thought Evgeny Platov was a hottie. I met him once at a reception and before I was to meet him, I kept repeating to the friend I was with, "I will not gush, I will not gush..." I got face to face with him (well, not quite, he's quite tall), shook his hand, and promptly gushed.

Also, I'm so envious of your icons. I have a Mac and so far haven't been able to find an emoticon site that works with Macs:cry: I'll just have to make do with cheesey keyboard stuff <8-{

Thanks again for the groovy review. Next best thing to being there.
Rgirl

windspirit

On the Ice
Germanice said:
So it seems to use the "Feelings" music wasn't such a good idea? Frankly - never liked that song, too mainstream/conventional and way too cheesy. On the other hand I've often changed my mind when watching Alexei skate to a piece kinda
- IMHO! - "lousy" music. So let's just wait and see ....
That's exactly what I'm going to do. But I still wish he skated to something else. Even the country song he skated once would be better, I think (Billy Dean's "Somewhere In My Heart"). Hey, it could've been worse... Does "You're My Heart, You're My Soul" ring a bell? (I've always wanted to allude to that sig of yours) http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/rotfl.gif

Here's another link to photos from Expression on Ice:
http://www.koalaplace.com/skatingphotos/photoalbum/2003/p2003eoi-ay.htm

Rgirl, thanks for your nice words. As for his Memorial program, I think he's going to skate it at SOI, so you'll have the chance to see it there. I've heard that one of the local channels (Channel 3 probably) in Conn. is going to show Expression on Ice on Thanksgiving Day, but it's a very local channel. ;)