The "It Factor" | Golden Skate

The "It Factor"

janetfan

Match Penalty
I was wondering how important the "it factor" is in figure skating. It does seem to be real - but I wonder how differently we all see this and how some here feel about it. Is this something that we can define, or by it's nature is it just something that we feel?
Does a skater (or team) loaded with the "it factor" receive better marks at competitions?
I wonder if there is a general consensus about who has "It" and who doesn't?
Does Yuna have it and if so does she have more of it than Mao? If so, will that be a factor in Vancouver?
Has any American male skater had "it" since Brian Boitano?
Can a skater work hard trying to attain "it" - maybe Johnny comes to mind - as opposed to a skater like Joubert who seems to have it naturally.
Is this "it factor" nothing more than charisma, or is there more to it when talking about skaters?

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think the "It" factor is partly subjective. It's a start quality, what draws the audience to the skater on the ice, a captivating presence. The reason I say this is subjective is because we could all list our top 5 skaters with "It" and you could get several different names.

Currently, amongst the US Ladies, I believe Caroline has "It." She draws me in, makes me watch and when she presents a clean program, I forget her mule kick or that she's slow. Alissa has that "it" factor as well, but her falls always ruin the program for me. That's what made 2007 so special, when she was almost clean. Rachel on the other hand, is technically sound and cute, yet I don't really remember what she had just done. If Caroline or Alissa had Rachel's jump technique...I'm hoping Mirai will be that skater next year, as I definitely think she has that "it" factor going on, plus speed and good tech when she can rotate her jumps.

Yu-Na and Mao definitely have "it". I don't think one necessarily has more that the other-who we prefer is our own preference. I think all the "it" factor really is is a star quality, what makes them more special, separates them and makes them stand out amongst their peers.

If you think about it, out of all the skaters in the world, the same names seem to pop up over and over in different threads...Michelle, Sasha, Carolina, Mao, Yu-Na, etc, and those skaters have such a following, evoke such emotions on different levels, that IMO, that makes them not just popular, but special. And I feel they ALL have the "it" factor. It separates them from ordinary.

I don't think a skater's "it" factor influences competitions as much as the fact the skater has that quality makes them better than the others, if that makes any sense at all! For example, Caroline has been picked apart on her jump technique and for her lack of speed, yet she hits the most exquisite positions, and her spins are beautiful. She's had more standing ovations than Rachel, who has been lauded for her better basics. IMO, Caroline seems to have more of that factor going for her, yet she doesn't get huge PCS marks due to weaknesses in other areas.

As for male skaters, again, it is subjective, Todd, Mike, Evan and Johnny spring to mind to have "it" and there are several other guys, Ryan Bradley, Matt Savoie. No real way to measure that quality or label it. It's more about the overall quality, presentation on the ice. Under 6.0, I think it was more obvious with scoring, but no doubt it helps the PCS marks.

janetfan

Match Penalty
As for male skaters, again, it is subjective, Todd, Mike, Evan and Johnny spring to mind to have "it" and there are several other guys, Ryan Bradley, Matt Savoie. No real way to measure that quality or label it. It's more about the overall quality, presentation on the ice. Under 6.0, I think it was more obvious with scoring, but no doubt it helps the PCS marks.

I wonder about some of the skaters listed above. No doubt all of them have a degree of "it" but for that matter one could say that Bebe, Emily, Kimmie and so many others have a fan base within the skating world. But it is really small and does not carry over to the casual skating fan let alone the general public.
I think part of the low TV ratings in USA would suggest most of the guys listed along with the ladies I mentioned don't really have much of an "it factor."
Evan is a good example. He just won the WC in his home country and it hardly made a ripple. It is not Evan's fault there was poor TV coverage but then again, NBC, for better or worse couldn't sell the men's (and pairs& Dance) events to their advertising base. Perhaps this gets into a broader discussion about skating.
B & A seem to have a certain degree of "it", Tannith in particular. But Dance has never been that popular in USA compared to the singles competitions.
Whether it is simply star power or whatever we choose to call it I think it has been missing in our male skaters for years now.
Going back to Calgary there were two big showdowns - the Battle of the Carmens and the Battle of the Brians. In fact, that might be the last time the Men's final had the same or greater impact in USA as the Ladies final.
A degree of logic tells me that USA has not had a male skater with anything close to Brian B's it factor in years.
I agree that Mirai and Caroline both have 'it' potential and that Alissa has a degree of "it."
As a skating fan I miss the TV coverage of the Grand Prix series and better, in depth coverage of Nationals and Worlds. I think we are in dire need of some skaters with crossover power to bring back some of the casual fans who no longer are interested in skating.

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
I wonder about some of the skaters listed above. No doubt all of them have a degree of "it" but for that matter one could say that Bebe, Emily, Kimmie and so many others have a fan base within the skating world. But it is really small and does not carry over to the casual skating fan let alone the general public.
And IMO, they DO possess a certain about of that "it" quality. Kimmie is the most successful of the three ou just mentioned, yet I think Emily and Bebe emit a more resounding star quality, which is why, despite not really having an impact in the skating world, they ARE popular and have done decently. Bebe's 2007 SP is a good example of her showing off that factor, IMO. There's no way to measure star quality, which IMO, is that whole "It" factor. The only way it's presented is in their following of fans, media, etc. You have skaters like...Tugba. She has fans, but does the media really pick her up and show her off? Is she sought after for skating tours? I think that's one way to measure star quality/"it" factor.

Going back to Calgary there were two big showdowns - the Battle of the Carmens and the Battle of the Brians. In fact, that might be the last time the Men's final had the same or greater impact in USA as the Ladies final.
A degree of logic tells me that USA has not had a male skater with anything close to Brian B's it factor in years.
Agreed, but i think it's more a loss of interest in skating in general, not so much that the skaters themselves are lacking. The Battle of the Brians was exciting, built up towards it-the media tried to create a rivalry between Evan and Johnny, and that never took off. I thought the whole Plushy Vs Alexei was entertaining. Maybe not to the same degree as the Brians, but it was there. Skating is popular elsewhere-apparently skaters like Korea, the fans their adore them.

As a skating fan I miss the TV coverage of the Grand Prix series and better, in depth coverage of Nationals and Worlds. I think we are in dire need of some skaters with crossover power to bring back some of the casual fans who no longer are interested in skating.
Ditto.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mirai. She has "It" factor written all over her. It's so natural for her. Her debut always reminds me of NNN.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mirai. She has "It" factor written all over her. It's so natural for her. Her debut always reminds me of NNN.

Read more carefully :)
Mk and I both mentioned Mirai, and suggested she has a degree of "it" factor.
As a matter of fact it was Mirai, or Frank's comments about Mirai having the "it factor" that led me to start a new thread rather than commenting on it at the Mirai thread.
I was never that big of a Mirai fan until Natsl this year. The whole drama and tears preceeding her LP and the way she skated really drew me in. Her reaction at the end made me think of how much I still miss Michelle at times.
But I agree that Mirai has the abilty to draw in fans and does have a natural "it" factor and even greater "it" potential should her skating get back on track.

To MK fan, thanks for your posts. I think we agree and because this is a topic with many possible interpretations our biggest difference might be that I am hoping for an "it factor" that would register outside of world of die hard skating fans like us.
The reason the "Evan vs Johnny" rivalry is a non-factor with very limited "it " potential outside of their "botfans" suggests they both have limited "it" quality. I know how hard Johnny tries and it seems to be his dream to be a "Michael Jackson " on skates - but as Jimmie Connors once said about a younger rival, "there's a little too much mustard on that hotdog." Trying hard to be a star and having natural star quality are really not the same thing.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
Personally, most of the US female skaters don't have the it factor to me now,
maybe Caroline but I am not sure, not Rachel or Mirai yet. Maybe later , Alissa looks good in pictures but doesn't come across the ice as "it" for me.
Mao to me as more of it than Yu-na,
I am talking both on the ice and off. Skaters can have it on ice but not off.
as far as men, I don't see anyone even Evan,
I think that is part of the problem in the US no skater to me have the so-called "it" factor.
Mao might have it in Japan, Yu-na in Korea', Daiskue in Korea, I think Stephane had it Switzerland, Evygeny for Russia.
I don't classify Sasha has it for US -why she has some but not all, some on ice, nothing off (sorry)
I also think Tanith has more of the "it" than Sasha and the US single female skaters.
Kimmie, Emily to me didn't have any. The younger Us single female skaters may grow into it , I don't know.
sorry for the downers, but that is how I see it.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Personally, most of the US female skaters don't have the it factor to me now,
maybe Caroline but I am not sure, not Rachel or Mirai yet. Maybe later , Alissa looks good in pictures but doesn't come across the ice as "it" for me.
Mao to me as more of it than Yu-na,
I am talking both on the ice and off. Skaters can have it on ice but not off.
as far as men, I don't see anyone even Evan,
I think that is part of the problem in the US no skater to me have the so-called "it" factor.
Mao might have it in Japan, Yu-na in Korea', Daiskue in Korea, I think Stephane had it Switzerland, Evygeny for Russia.
I don't classify Sasha has it for US -why she has some but not all, some on ice, nothing off (sorry)
I also think Tanith has more of the "it" than Sasha and the US single female skaters.
Kimmie, Emily to me didn't have any. The younger Us single female skaters may grow into it , I don't know.
sorry for the downers, but that is how I see it.

Actually, your reply is not a downer for me and I appreciate your honesty.
I think you look at this the way I do to an extent. Real "it" factor has to go beyond little fan clubs and should have some impact off the ice. I agree with you about Sasha - who has a huge "it' factor on the ice but not so much off the ice.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I should really start reading the whole thread more carefully:)

As for Sasha's off-the-ice it factor, aren't we equating it factor with commercial success? Granted, those who have it factor are likely to have commercial success off the ice, but I don't think it is the most accurate measure either. Nancy had more commercial success during her heyday than Sasha. Does she have more of "it" than Sasha?

Back to the question of who have natural it factor, I think of Sasha, Mirai, Mao, young Elene Gedevanishivili, and young Bebe. OTOH, Yuna is the prime example of "nurtured" it factor. I'm not sure where Caroline would fit on the spectrum.

fairly4

Medalist
to some it extent the it factor does tie into commercial success, but only after they Have the "it" factor.
in other words for me
you have to have the "it" factor to have commercial success.

Wrlmy

Medalist
to some it extent the it factor does tie into commercial success, but only after they Have the "it" factor.
in other words for me
you have to have the "it" factor to have commercial success.

I agree. I'm just saying it factor doesn't neccessarily translate into huge commercial success for other reasons.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I should really start reading the whole thread more carefully:)

As for Sasha's off-the-ice it factor, aren't we equating it factor with commercial success? Granted, those who have it factor are likely to have commercial success off the ice, but I don't think it is the most accurate measure either. Nancy had more commercial success during her heyday than Sasha. Does she have more of "it" than Sasha?

Back to the question of who have natural it factor, I think of Sasha, Mirai, Mao, young Elene Gedevanishivili, and young Bebe. OTOH, Yuna is the prime example of "nurtured" it factor. I'm not sure where Caroline would fit on the spectrum.

Alot of this has to to with our own preferences. And you are right that there is more than one way to look at this.
We are very much swayed by championships in the USA but not all of our "it" factor ladies were OGM winners or involved with commercial interests off the ice.
Some that I would pick would be: Sasha, Michelle, Kristy, Dorothy, Janet, and Peggy.
Laurence Owen had it in spades, and would have become our first "Golden girl" of the TV era if not for her tragic death in the '61 air crash tragedy.
Even at 16 Laurence had this bigger than life ice presence and there probably would have been no limit to the success she could have achieved on and off the ice.
I think of Katerina but not so many other international skaters. Did Irina have it? What about Shizuka? I see it very clearly with Yuna and Mao who are "rock stars" in their homeland. Who am I missing or over estimating? What about the men, and the pairs and Dance?

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
I don't think I've seen more "it" factor in a skater than I've seen in Tiffany Stiegler! (Well, maybe besides Lambiel.)

Last edited:

efreedman

On the Ice
Imho

I think that Adam Rippon definitely has "it". I watched him become an overnight sensation in Korea. When his picture popped up on the Jumbotrons at Festa on Friday evening, there was a collective gasp of awe. Afterwards and in subsequent performances, the cacophony of screaming was overwhelming.

He also has a tremendous following in Russia and the former communist bloc nations. I think that he has a 5 day show engagement this summer in Japan and I think that the response will be the same.

If he skates well at the Grand Prix this fall and makes the final group at Nationals, I think that his stock will go up tremendously in the US.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
The “ It factor“ , when I saw these skaters first time ,

For Ladies - Cohen , Kwan, Slutsukaya , Ando

For men, - Weir, Plushenko, Yagudin, Takahashi, Rippon

These skaters have big impact to me, even when just standing on ice. Even when these skaters are wearing simple practice training wear. I don’t think you can get “ it factor” by working hard, it’s all natural. IMO.

feraina

Record Breaker
I think that Adam Rippon definitely has "it".

(Oh, my, just realized how long this post is, sorry!)

I think it's the curls. ;)

More seriously, I think Western and Eastern tastes are a little different. In the East, they often prefer men with delicate features, pale complexion, tender gestures, etc. That's why they especially love Johnny, and also Adam. Whereas in the West, there's this perpetual discussion of whether certain males make figure skating look less masculine to the general public.

A slight generalization, but I do think that the relative amount of "it" factor for the same skater is different in different countries due to cultural reasons, it's not like there's an absolute scale or anything.

As far as ladies go, I think Yu-na and Mao both have the "it" factor, Yu-na has more passion, Mao has more balletic elegance. Yu-na for me is like Stephane Lambiel among men, they may not hit the most elegant, balletic positions, but they skate with such intensity and commitment/belief in their program/choreography (Johnny made some statement like this about Lambiel in an interview, he said he admired Lambiel for that reason). I wish Yu-na would pick better music for this season, though, I liked her programs from 3 seasons ago much better, before she started working with Brian Orser (even though it's obvious that her jumps, skating skills, athleticism have all improved tremendously since then). The way she skates her programs, since Brian Orser, now seems so completely over-practiced to me, like every single gesture, facial expression is completely pre-programmed, and as such takes away from her emotional connection with the program and the audience. But that's just my opinion!

Among the US ladies, I'd say that Caroline has the most "it" factor, and Mirai has the second most. When all the ladies skate clean, Caroline gets the most standing ovations, and Mirai the second. Caroline's exhibitions are mesmerizing. She takes her time to wring all the emotional/musical nuances out of a piece, and she (as well as the audience) doesn't have to worry about rushing around the ice with speed. Ironically, when she's not worried about the competitive aspect, she skates faster and freer. I would *love* for Caroline to be coached by Brain Orser. He's done a great job in transforming Yu-na from a delicate, fragile little thing into a woman of athletic strength and beauty. Yu-na's speed, edging, quality of jumps have drastically improved under his guidance. I always thought that she wasn't as naturally gifted in her jumping ability as Mao, in terms of being a child prodigy and attempting super-naturally difficult jump elements (didn't Mao attempt two 3A's including one in combo, and a 3-3-3 at age 12 in Japanese National's?), I think Brian's coaching has *really* done her wonders, plus he seems really good at getting the most out of CoP with her abilities. So of course until Yu-na leaves Brian Orser (maybe after 2010 if she wins gold?), Caroline can't go to him, but maybe after? I'm sure the first thing he would do is make her do more cross-training, weight-lifting, running, pilates, etc. to make her stronger/faster (since that's what he did with Yu-na when she first went to him). And God knows that this is what Caroline desperately needs...

Mirai has natural grace/flexibility in her movement as Caroline does, and she has additional strength/athleticism/enthusiasm. But I think most of her successful programs so far, whether for competition or exhibition, have been ones in which she was very bubbly and kid-like. When she has tried to skate to mature, more serious music, it simply hasn't worked so well, her skating looks quite detached to the music, it's like her heart isn't in it -- I really do think that the bubbly/cheerful/funny music is what she can relate to the most, and that makes her most expressive on ice; perhaps with aging and maturity, she will grow emotionally as a person, and that'll allow her to show a broader range of personality on ice, too.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think that Adam Rippon definitely has "it". I watched him become an overnight sensation in Korea. When his picture popped up on the Jumbotrons at Festa on Friday evening, there was a collective gasp of awe. Afterwards and in subsequent performances, the cacophony of screaming was overwhelming.
If he skates well at the Grand Prix this fall and makes the final group at Nationals, I think that his stock will go up tremendously in the US.

No doubt there is an awful lot of love for skaters in Korea these days. If Yuna's physical therapist or dress designer were to step on the ice at FOI I am sure the applause would be deafening. :)
Do you think Rippon has a chance to make the podium this season at Nationals? That would also most likely earn him a ticket to Vancouver unless there were injury issues with one of the more established skaters.

gocaroline

On the Ice
From what I can think of for ladies who has the it factor, K. Witt, O. Baiul, MK, Sasha, Caroline, Mirai, and of course Mao and Yuna, and yes, Elena G. and Caro K!