Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The "It Factor"

Custom Title

Imho

I think that Adam Rippon definitely has "it". I watched him become an overnight sensation in Korea. When his picture popped up on the Jumbotrons at Festa on Friday evening, there was a collective gasp of awe. Afterwards and in subsequent performances, the cacophony of screaming was overwhelming.

He also has a tremendous following in Russia and the former communist bloc nations. I think that he has a 5 day show engagement this summer in Japan and I think that the response will be the same.

If he skates well at the Grand Prix this fall and makes the final group at Nationals, I think that his stock will go up tremendously in the US.

Custom Title
    The “ It factor“ , when I saw these skaters first time ,

For Ladies - Cohen , Kwan, Slutsukaya , Ando

For men, - Weir, Plushenko, Yagudin, Takahashi, Rippon

These skaters have big impact to me, even when just standing on ice. Even when these skaters are wearing simple practice training wear. I don’t think you can get “ it factor” by working hard, it’s all natural. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by efreedman View Post
    I think that Adam Rippon definitely has "it".
    (Oh, my, just realized how long this post is, sorry!)

I think it's the curls.

More seriously, I think Western and Eastern tastes are a little different. In the East, they often prefer men with delicate features, pale complexion, tender gestures, etc. That's why they especially love Johnny, and also Adam. Whereas in the West, there's this perpetual discussion of whether certain males make figure skating look less masculine to the general public.

A slight generalization, but I do think that the relative amount of "it" factor for the same skater is different in different countries due to cultural reasons, it's not like there's an absolute scale or anything.

As far as ladies go, I think Yu-na and Mao both have the "it" factor, Yu-na has more passion, Mao has more balletic elegance. Yu-na for me is like Stephane Lambiel among men, they may not hit the most elegant, balletic positions, but they skate with such intensity and commitment/belief in their program/choreography (Johnny made some statement like this about Lambiel in an interview, he said he admired Lambiel for that reason). I wish Yu-na would pick better music for this season, though, I liked her programs from 3 seasons ago much better, before she started working with Brian Orser (even though it's obvious that her jumps, skating skills, athleticism have all improved tremendously since then). The way she skates her programs, since Brian Orser, now seems so completely over-practiced to me, like every single gesture, facial expression is completely pre-programmed, and as such takes away from her emotional connection with the program and the audience. But that's just my opinion!

Among the US ladies, I'd say that Caroline has the most "it" factor, and Mirai has the second most. When all the ladies skate clean, Caroline gets the most standing ovations, and Mirai the second. Caroline's exhibitions are mesmerizing. She takes her time to wring all the emotional/musical nuances out of a piece, and she (as well as the audience) doesn't have to worry about rushing around the ice with speed. Ironically, when she's not worried about the competitive aspect, she skates faster and freer. I would *love* for Caroline to be coached by Brain Orser. He's done a great job in transforming Yu-na from a delicate, fragile little thing into a woman of athletic strength and beauty. Yu-na's speed, edging, quality of jumps have drastically improved under his guidance. I always thought that she wasn't as naturally gifted in her jumping ability as Mao, in terms of being a child prodigy and attempting super-naturally difficult jump elements (didn't Mao attempt two 3A's including one in combo, and a 3-3-3 at age 12 in Japanese National's?), I think Brian's coaching has *really* done her wonders, plus he seems really good at getting the most out of CoP with her abilities. So of course until Yu-na leaves Brian Orser (maybe after 2010 if she wins gold?), Caroline can't go to him, but maybe after? I'm sure the first thing he would do is make her do more cross-training, weight-lifting, running, pilates, etc. to make her stronger/faster (since that's what he did with Yu-na when she first went to him). And God knows that this is what Caroline desperately needs...

Mirai has natural grace/flexibility in her movement as Caroline does, and she has additional strength/athleticism/enthusiasm. But I think most of her successful programs so far, whether for competition or exhibition, have been ones in which she was very bubbly and kid-like. When she has tried to skate to mature, more serious music, it simply hasn't worked so well, her skating looks quite detached to the music, it's like her heart isn't in it -- I really do think that the bubbly/cheerful/funny music is what she can relate to the most, and that makes her most expressive on ice; perhaps with aging and maturity, she will grow emotionally as a person, and that'll allow her to show a broader range of personality on ice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by efreedman View Post
    I think that Adam Rippon definitely has "it". I watched him become an overnight sensation in Korea. When his picture popped up on the Jumbotrons at Festa on Friday evening, there was a collective gasp of awe. Afterwards and in subsequent performances, the cacophony of screaming was overwhelming.
    If he skates well at the Grand Prix this fall and makes the final group at Nationals, I think that his stock will go up tremendously in the US.

No doubt there is an awful lot of love for skaters in Korea these days. If Yuna's physical therapist or dress designer were to step on the ice at FOI I am sure the applause would be deafening.
    Do you think Rippon has a chance to make the podium this season at Nationals? That would also most likely earn him a ticket to Vancouver unless there were injury issues with one of the more established skaters.

Custom Title
    From what I can think of for ladies who has the it factor, K. Witt, O. Baiul, MK, Sasha, Caroline, Mirai, and of course Mao and Yuna, and yes, Elena G. and Caro K!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    In dance, I'd say V&M, D&W, K&N, and B&A all have 'it' in varying degrees! In the past, definitely T&D had 'it' as did A&P.

In men's, Ryan Bradley has 'it' for me...if only he had better basics. So does Lambiel.

Ladies? I haven't gone out of my way to watch the ladies since MK retired. Emily has some 'it' and so does Mirai for me.

Pairs? Pairs is particularly 'it' less for me at this time. Oh for the days of P&P, G&G, B&S, S&P, and even W&O.

Custom Title

Adam's Chances

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Do you think Rippon has a chance to make the podium this season at Nationals? That would also most likely earn him a ticket to Vancouver unless there were injury issues with one of the more established skaters.
    Oh, to be omniscient! We have to leave that determination up to the skating gods. I'm sure that Adam and his team of Brian Orser and David Wilson are trying their best to seduce them. If you haven't done so already, you might want to read Adam's very thoughtful and well written commentary on YuNa Kim. In that, she identifies what makes her such a powerhouse.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I think to many Evan has the "it" factor and that is arguably why he won his world title. His content was not that impressive, nor his technique. It was that "it" factor that gave him the edge and won the freeskate that infamous night he tied with Johnny for the national title.
    None of the american ladies have 'it." Both Sasha and Michelle did. Caroline has "it" in exhibitions, she is right on the cusp but skates like a wilting flower in competition often...which holds back the "it" factor.

My " It Factor " skaters :

Ladies :

Miki Ando, Sasha Cohen, Yu-Na Kim, Mirai Nagasu, Mao Asada, Elene Gedevanishvili

Ice Dancing :

Tatyana Navka

Custom Title
    I am one of those that believe Evan has the "it" factor. He has a commanding presence on the ice that captivates the crowd and brings the audience to its feet! That spells "it" for me!

For ladies, for me Alissa has a soft "it" - sells with grace and style. Do hope she gets control of her nerves so she can land those jumps.

For dance - Meryl and Charlie and Tanith and Ben for sure. V/M did for me with Umbrellas, but I wasn't too sold on their programs this year. I'm not sure they were either.

Pairs - phew! Actually Denney and Barret are on the edge of "it"! McLaughlin and Brubaker had it last year and I hope they get it back next season.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post

Pairs - phew! Actually Denney and Barret are on the edge of "it"! McLaughlin and Brubaker had it last year and I hope they get it back next season.
    I agree that Denny and Barret are on the verge, but can Keauna and Rockne have "it" one year and not the next? the "it" factor remains, if it was ever really there to being with whether they placed high or not. Falling on salchows should not remove "it".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I agree that Denny and Barret are on the verge, but can Keauna and Rockne have "it" one year and not the next? the "it" factor remains, if it was ever really there to being with whether they placed high or not. Falling on salchows should not remove "it".
    Yes, I think anyone can have "it" one year and not the next. It's as much attitude as anything - a spark if you will - that lights the eyes and translates to the ice. If for some reason that spark is missing, which to me it was for M/B last year, then the "it" dims and doesn't reach off the ice into the audience.

I agree "It" isn't a matter of results! You can still have "it" regardless, if the spark is there. Some of the most exciting skaters don't make the podium but still excite the crowd.

The "it" factor exists, only it's subjective. Saying, that, some people's "it" factor is so strong that they can make any program amazing.

Here's who I believe have the "it" factor:

Ladies: Yu-Na, Sasha, Shizuka

Men: Alexei Yagudin, Stéphane Lambiel, Brian Joubert, Alexander Abt, Tomas Verner, Johnny Weir, Daisuke Takehashi

Ice dancing: Bourne & Kraatz, Anissina & Peizerat, Navka & Kostomorov,

Pairs: Shen & Zhao, Abitbol & Bernadis

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    The "it" factor exists, only it's subjective. Saying, that, some people's "it" factor is so strong that they can make any program amazing.

Here's who I believe have the "it" factor:

Ladies: Yu-Na, Sasha, Shizuka

Men: Alexei Yagudin, Stéphane Lambiel, Brian Joubert, Alexander Abt, Tomas Verner, Johnny Weir, Daisuke Takehashi

Ice dancing: Bourne & Kraatz, Anissina & Peizerat, Navka & Kostomorov,

Pairs: Shen & Zhao, Abitbol & Bernadis
    Taking out Yagudin, Joubert and Bourne & Kraatz, but otherwise I agree with your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Taking out Yagudin, Joubert and Bourne & Kraatz, but otherwise I agree with your list.
    Wow- you wouldn't give Alexei Yagudin the "it" factor! I'm so surprised! I've never heard ofanybody (except fervent Plushenko fans) not believing that Alexei has the "it" factor!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast