The "It Factor" | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The "It Factor"

greengal5874

Rinkside
Just IMO
IT-
Men=Yagudin, Plushenko,Wylie, Ryan Bradley, Bowman & Lysacek (He is a fighter & it shows)

Women= :bow:The Kween, Michelle; Bonaly, Young Oksana Baiol, :Later Cohen and as much as I hate to admit it, even Tara Lipinski sometimes

Dance= T & D

Pairs= G & G, Shen & Zhao

As stated above, just IMO- these skaters have drawn me in more than not when I watch them perform. Heck, add Michael Weiss (as a show skater)- he can sell it!!:rock:

After reading all these 'favorites' with the IT factor. I can't help but wonder what is the definition of the IT factor? Could it mean just the skaters I like?

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
After reading all these 'favorites' with the IT factor. I can't help but wonder what is the definition of the IT factor? Could it mean just the skaters I like?

No. I haven't named all of my favourite skaters as having the "it" factor, and there are some skaters I named that aren't my favourites.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
IMO, a lot of the young American gals (Mirai, Ashley, Caroline, Rachael) have the potential to reach the "it factor," they just need a bit of polishing in some areas.

janetfan

Match Penalty
No. I haven't named all of my favourite skaters as having the "it" factor, and there are some skaters I named that aren't my favourites.

Everyone can have a different way of seeing this. If I think Michelle has "it" and Maria Butyraskya does not have "it" what does that really mean. Another person could come on and say, no Michelle does not have it and Maria does have it.
It is subjective - and in the off season gives some of us a chance to talk about the skaters we see as most exciting.

So whatever "it" means is open for discussion. There have been many skaters mentioned and many different ideas and criteria about "it". Even cultural differences regarding physical appearance and the degree of expression we see from skaters around the world.

I like that the Plushy fans basically agreed that Yagudin had "it" and that Yagudin fans also could admit Plushy has it. Even the Yuna and Mao fans kept a clear head about this topic.

Someone said that Jeremy had it at GPF/Nationals but not at Worlds. Not sure if I agree with that but obviously this was just a different interpretation of "it" factor.
It was pointed out that "it" factor is not always present, that it can be supressed.
It was also stated that you either have it or you dont. It is not something you can get by practicing in front of a mirror.
Frank Carroll said Mirai has the highest "it" factor of the current US Lady skaters.
What if it had been Caroline who switched to him rather than Mirai. Would Frank have said, "Caroline has the highest "it" factor?

Am sure this message has not cleared up a thing but it doesn't really need to.

Germanice

On the Ice
Certainly not. For example, naturally Plushenko isn't exactly a favourite of mine, many of his programs I find somewhat ridiculous to horrible. But I'm willing to admit that certain "It" factor (whatever "it" is ...) still makes him interesting to watch, in opposite to others with "picture-perfect-" but yaaaawwn performances. Whatever I have "against" him, I've never moved to the fridge when he skated, he's a Champion plus he's not boring!

He's NO Yagudin though ... ;) :) ;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think boring can be one factor to justify "it" although what bores you is still subjective.But i dont think "it" has to to with good or bad day in a competition, as I mention with Abott, skaters with 'it" dont lose it when they mess their jumps or performance. And they dont have to win to have 'it'.

I've never moved to the fridge when he skated

Thats why I moved the fridge in the living room:p

Hi Janetfan - Some rationale you are giving. I like it.

If it isn't a favorite, and it isn't a skater with longevity, if it isn't a skater with gobs of medals, then what is it?

It should have something that is special to that one named skater that goes beyond potential.

When I read a poster's list of several skaters of the same gender as all having "The It Factor" my feeling is there is nothing individually special about any one of those listed. They all have It, so there is no further discussion as to who is special. One should just put down their list as they would in a prediction thread. no?

Germanice - I can acknowledge your label of 'the It Factor' for Plushenko, although I don't agree, if he is the one in present day skating who fulfills for you that special something that no ne else has.

Ullrich Salchow or Alois Lutz, could also have had the 'tt Factor.. I know of their contributions, but I do not know of how well they skated.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think boring can be one factor to justify "it" although what bores you is still subjective.But i dont think "it" has to to with good or bad day in a competition, as I mention with Abott, skaters with 'it" dont lose it when they mess their jumps or performance. And they dont have to win to have 'it'.

Thats why I moved the fridge in the living room:p

Yes, I agree with you and thought that was what you meant in your previous post. I really just used it as an example -

And I laughed so hard about your fridge comment :rofl: :rofl:
Your passion and humor is compelling.
I said a few days ago that I think Plushenko is the greatest skater I ever saw. He is not my favorite but I do love to watch him skate - his great technique and command of the ice is for me incredible.

seniorita

Record Breaker
if he is the one in present day skating who fulfills for you that special something that no ne else has.
For one fan does it have to be one 'it' from each discipline?:)

For one fan does it have to be one 'it' from each discipline?:)
Well, for you it could be what you want, Senorita, but as I understand the "IT Factor", it would be beyond being a good skater, but someone you would want to see at every competition (win or lose). If you name more than one then you diminish the one you like most. But for different eras there is always one with the IT factor, naming that one would be fine.

seniorita

Record Breaker
but someone you would want to see at every competition (win or lose). If you name more than one then you diminish the one you like most.
Isn't this skater the answer to the question "which skater is your favorite'?I think that the skater with 'it' doesnt have to be the one you like most or favor. Or it doesnt have to be only that one.
'It' skater is the one that makes my mum who passes nonchalant by tv to stop and watch.

He is not my favorite but I do love to watch him skate - his great technique and command of the ice is for me incredible.
nice to hear this :) cause I sometimes feel here like a weirdo...:unsure:

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
Germanice - I can acknowledge your label of 'the It Factor' for Plushenko, although I don't agree, if he is the one in present day skating who fulfills for you that special something that no ne else has..
Joesitz, thanks for your rare acknowledgement, but obviously you haven't read my post attentive enough ... :laugh: ;)

Germanice

On the Ice
Does anyone on the ladies' side in particular come to mind? :rofl:
Well, I have no idea what association comes in your mind in that particular matter, but it was certainly not my intention. I've made my remarks in all innocence and won't make any suggestions otherwise. After all this is a thread about the "It Factor" and skaters who have "it", eh? :biggrin: ;)