The "It Factor" | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The "It Factor"

seniorita

Record Breaker
Whatever I have "against" him, I've never moved to the fridge when he skated, he's a Champion plus he's not boring!
He's NO Yagudin though ... ;) :) ;)

Maybe IT is the one from the Steven King novel, takes the form of our deepest fears:laugh:
I m still cracking up with your fridge comment, I think going to the kitchen is a major factor whether a skater has or has not the "it":p.bathroom also.

Last edited:

davina

Rinkside
This is a really interesting thread!
I think seeing someone as having the 'it' factor is a pretty personal thing.
I have definitely felt that certain skaters have the 'it' factor whilst others don't have that special something.

Christina Chitwood and Mark Hanretty of GBR have the 'it' factor for me. They are really only just starting out in terms of international success but for me they are the complete package - they are nice people off the ice, they both have 'the look' - both are tall, thin, and blonde - and immediately capture your attention on the ice. They have a lovely chemistry together and their skating is very fluid. They are just made to skate together.

For me, you can tell whether someone has the 'it' factor not by watching their competition, but by watching their warm up. I have always found that when you take a group of skaters and put them together on the ice at the same time for a warm up, there is often a pair or a single skater that takes your attention and runs with it. When this happens you almost lose focus and forget that there are other people on the ice. This could be for many reasons or may be completely unknown but for me, that's when I know someone has the 'it' factor.

janetfan

Match Penalty
This is a really interesting thread!
I think seeing someone as having the 'it' factor is a pretty personal thing.
I have definitely felt that certain skaters have the 'it' factor whilst others don't have that special something.
For me, you can tell whether someone has the 'it' factor not by watching their competition, but by watching their warm up. I have always found that when you take a group of skaters and put them together on the ice at the same time for a warm up, there is often a pair or a single skater that takes your attention and runs with it. When this happens you almost lose focus and forget that there are other people on the ice. This could be for many reasons or may be completely unknown but for me, that's when I know someone has the 'it' factor.

Thanks for your insights and I don't think anyone else mentioned the "warmups."
I would definitely agree and remember years ago seeing Nancy K. and Oksana at a COI show. Even in moments when she wasn't skating I could not take my eyes of Oksana.

Germanice

On the Ice
I m still cracking up with your fridge comment, I think going to the kitchen is a major factor whether a skater has or has not the "it":p.bathroom also.
Probably I should've pointed out I went to the bathroom instead? ;)

Naaa, jokes aside, I'm glad I've made you somewhat happy. I've said what I've to say about Plushy, nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe someone courageous dares to start a thread about fridge/bathroom-break skaters here. Wouldn't that be cool? :cool: (But quite nasty, too ...)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Maybe someone courageous dares to start a thread about fridge/bathroom-break skaters here. Wouldn't that be cool? :cool: (But quite nasty, too ...)

Yes it would. Since it is your idea - why don't you start one.
I remember going to the bathroom after Yuna's SP at Worlds. And I like Laura but needed time to appreciate what Yuna had just done. So a trip away from TV is not necessarily a negative reaction - but then again, if Mao had followed Yuna no way would I have left the room.

mskater93

Record Breaker
An up and coming skater with "IT" in spades in the US is Jason Brown (Novice medalist in 09, Intermediate medalist in 08, and Juvenile Champion in 07). He just commands a warm up that no matter how many skaters are out there, your eyes are drawn to him.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Naaa, jokes aside, I'm glad I've made you somewhat happy. I've said what I've to say about Plushy, nothing more, nothing less.
yes i know, he is not yagudin though.. ;)
Actually the live broadcast of fs competitions is so little every year, and with time differences and all, you manage to watch few hours live, breaks during any skater are pity, you can miss a great performance even in first groups and now they have narrowed it down to 20...I remember only a skater in mens competition in 2006 Olympics, chinese, i dont remember his name that I had spot on to program my breaks!Sorry!
But i admit, i have slept numerous times in ice dance, unless it is the top skaters :eek:

Alicja

On the Ice
I don't think any of the current US ladies has an "it" package but they have some little sparks. Caro Z has "it" moves, like the pearl spin, Rachael has "it" attitude, competition nerves and joy for skating, Mirai also has "it" moves and speed, Kimmie definitely has "it" work ethic and personality, Alissa has "it" flexibility as Caro Z and Mirai, Emily has "it" attack and presence, Ashley has "it" power... they all have something special but noticeably lack in another area which makes it difficult for me to say "it" overall

I am still waiting for an official definition of "IT".. I believe everyone who posted who has IT, has their own definition.

Mine has to do with the Whole Package and not just any element. It has to do with so many things but it should be pointed out that the skater with 'IT' is unique and vastly different from all other skaters in the most complimentary sort of way.

What is your definition of "IT"..

nylynnr

On the Ice
I am still waiting for an official definition of "IT".. I believe everyone who posted who has IT, has their own definition.

Mine has to do with the Whole Package and not just any element. It has to do with so many things but it should be pointed out that the skater with 'IT' is unique and vastly different from all other skaters in the most complimentary sort of way.

What is your definition of "IT"..

You are right, there is no one definition. The term, coined by Elinor Glyn, was originally applied to silent star Clara Bow, the 1920's "It Girl." Even Clara didn't know what it meant; when asked, she replied, "I ain't real sure." IMO regardless of how much "It" Cohen has, if she doesn't do at least one GP and isn't in the top two at nationals, she ain't going to the Olympics.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
A skater that no matter what goes on (whether they are having a good or bad skate day) you can't take your eyes off them.

that combined with the nervousness you feel when they skate, wondering if they will do well.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Mine has to do with the Whole Package and not just any element.
For me, certainly not the ones who have the elements or the package. My view is that its not the skaters with best technique, or jumps, or spins or whatever.

'It' skater: when they sparkle more than their sequins even while doing crossovers.
"It" definition: the little fragment of the skater's soul shining on ice after he/she/they have left the rink. (it rains, i m poetic)

fairly4

Medalist
nynnlyr, you are correct in that it started with Clara Bow,
why she starred in the Movie called "It Girl", ever since than .
The "it girl" has become acquainted with star power in selling whether because of sex appeal, medals, winning, sportmanship, etc.
The it factor has become big.

fairly4

Medalist
when i mention it factor, i was thinking of only the current crop of skatersnot the past skaters or who haven't skating in a while.

janetfan

Match Penalty
For me, certainly not the ones who have the elements or the package. My view is that its not the skaters with best technique, or jumps, or spins or whatever.

'It' skater: when they sparkle more than their sequins even while doing crossovers.
"It" definition: the little fragment of the skater's soul shining on ice after he/she/they have left the rink. (it rains, i m poetic)

Are you saying Plushy has no "it" factor? Because he does have all the technique. (?????)

What if the skater is not wearing sequins? What does that have to with "it" ????

I agree with your last sentence about "soul". That and more are what "it" is all about.

The rest of what you said did not make sense to me.