Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The "It Factor"

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Germanice - I can acknowledge your label of 'the It Factor' for Plushenko, although I don't agree, if he is the one in present day skating who fulfills for you that special something that no ne else has..
    Joesitz, thanks for your rare acknowledgement, but obviously you haven't read my post attentive enough ...

Quote Originally Posted by Germanice View Post
    ...others with "picture-perfect-" but yaaaawwn performances.
    Does anyone on the ladies' side in particular come to mind?

Joesitz, thanks for your rare acknowledgement, but obviously you haven't read my post attentive enough ...
    sorry Germanice. I did read your post maybe just got a different impression of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, I have no idea what association comes in your mind in that particular matter, but it was certainly not my intention. I've made my remarks in all innocence and won't make any suggestions otherwise. After all this is a thread about the "It Factor" and skaters who have "it", eh?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Naomi Nari Nam is the personification of "it" to me.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Whatever I have "against" him, I've never moved to the fridge when he skated, he's a Champion plus he's not boring!
    He's NO Yagudin though ...
    Maybe IT is the one from the Steven King novel, takes the form of our deepest fears
    I m still cracking up with your fridge comment, I think going to the kitchen is a major factor whether a skater has or has not the "it".bathroom also.
    Last edited by seniorita; 05-26-2009 at 05:50 AM.

Rinkside
    This is a really interesting thread!
    I think seeing someone as having the 'it' factor is a pretty personal thing.
    I have definitely felt that certain skaters have the 'it' factor whilst others don't have that special something.

Christina Chitwood and Mark Hanretty of GBR have the 'it' factor for me. They are really only just starting out in terms of international success but for me they are the complete package - they are nice people off the ice, they both have 'the look' - both are tall, thin, and blonde - and immediately capture your attention on the ice. They have a lovely chemistry together and their skating is very fluid. They are just made to skate together.

For me, you can tell whether someone has the 'it' factor not by watching their competition, but by watching their warm up. I have always found that when you take a group of skaters and put them together on the ice at the same time for a warm up, there is often a pair or a single skater that takes your attention and runs with it. When this happens you almost lose focus and forget that there are other people on the ice. This could be for many reasons or may be completely unknown but for me, that's when I know someone has the 'it' factor.

Custom Title

Naomi Nari Nam

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Naomi Nari Nam is the personification of "it" to me.
    That's not only true on the ice but also off ice. She has tremendous presence. She also is one of the nicest people.

Quote Originally Posted by davina View Post
    This is a really interesting thread!
    I think seeing someone as having the 'it' factor is a pretty personal thing.
    I have definitely felt that certain skaters have the 'it' factor whilst others don't have that special something.
    For me, you can tell whether someone has the 'it' factor not by watching their competition, but by watching their warm up. I have always found that when you take a group of skaters and put them together on the ice at the same time for a warm up, there is often a pair or a single skater that takes your attention and runs with it. When this happens you almost lose focus and forget that there are other people on the ice. This could be for many reasons or may be completely unknown but for me, that's when I know someone has the 'it' factor.
    Thanks for your insights and I don't think anyone else mentioned the "warmups."
    I would definitely agree and remember years ago seeing Nancy K. and Oksana at a COI show. Even in moments when she wasn't skating I could not take my eyes of Oksana.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I m still cracking up with your fridge comment, I think going to the kitchen is a major factor whether a skater has or has not the "it".bathroom also.
    Probably I should've pointed out I went to the bathroom instead?

Naaa, jokes aside, I'm glad I've made you somewhat happy. I've said what I've to say about Plushy, nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe someone courageous dares to start a thread about fridge/bathroom-break skaters here. Wouldn't that be cool? (But quite nasty, too ...)

Maybe someone courageous dares to start a thread about fridge/bathroom-break skaters here. Wouldn't that be cool? (But quite nasty, too ...)

Yes it would. Since it is your idea - why don't you start one.
    I remember going to the bathroom after Yuna's SP at Worlds. And I like Laura but needed time to appreciate what Yuna had just done. So a trip away from TV is not necessarily a negative reaction - but then again, if Mao had followed Yuna no way would I have left the room.

I totally agree about the "can't take your eyes off her in warm-ups" factor.

http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/pict..._olympics2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan
    Why don't you start one.
    No-o-o-o-o-o! Inviting Germanice to start a thread about who's boring is like letting the fox into the chicken coop. (Although the new Germanice does seem a little mellower than the old. )

An up and coming skater with "IT" in spades in the US is Jason Brown (Novice medalist in 09, Intermediate medalist in 08, and Juvenile Champion in 07). He just commands a warm up that no matter how many skaters are out there, your eyes are drawn to him.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Naaa, jokes aside, I'm glad I've made you somewhat happy. I've said what I've to say about Plushy, nothing more, nothing less.
    yes i know, he is not yagudin though..
    Actually the live broadcast of fs competitions is so little every year, and with time differences and all, you manage to watch few hours live, breaks during any skater are pity, you can miss a great performance even in first groups and now they have narrowed it down to 20...I remember only a skater in mens competition in 2006 Olympics, chinese, i dont remember his name that I had spot on to program my breaks!Sorry!
    But i admit, i have slept numerous times in ice dance, unless it is the top skaters :o

I totally agree about the "can't take your eyes off her in warm-ups" factor.
    http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/pict..._olympics2.jpg

Ha-ha, that pic is so cool!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast