The "It Factor" | Page 6 | Golden Skate

The "It Factor"

seniorita

Record Breaker
:laugh::laugh::laugh: janet this was what i needed after a bad day...me and my roomies thank you, we spitted our drinks from laughing. You are funny, i ll come back :rock:

janetfan

Match Penalty
:laugh::laugh::laugh: janet this was what i needed after a bad day...me and my roomies thank you, we spitted our drinks from laughing. You are funny, i ll come back :rock:

Dobre nottes Seniorita,

Glad I could make your night - and amuse you and your friends! The least you could do is offer to share whatever it is you are drinking with me....:p
Sorry if I read your post too fast coz I see now I might have misunderstood you.
And, FYI, I am a fan of Janet Lynn - but my name is not Janet. No big deal, and I am a big Plushy fan....so I must have some common sense - not to mention very good taste in skaters:)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Are you saying Plushy has no "it" factor? Because he does have all the technique. (?????)
Would I ever say that???:laugh:I laughed with your comment cause when i try to write something it looks clear in my mind but usually not for the rest..you know.. But this is one of few topics I didnt think to mention plushy. For the record I dont think anyone has the perfect package, not evgeni, not anyone. But flaws are nothing when they have the 'it' . And of course I think he has "it", but wasnt that a given for me in this forum??:laugh:
What i wanted to say that the whole package or great jumps, great spins or any great elements are not making the 'it' skater necessarily!Someone can be perfect but indifferent. It is something more they should have. A star above their head.
Sequins comment was meant to be metaphorically, humor from the other topic, like they need to shine themselves ... but got lost in translation:eek:
I am a fan of Janet Lynn - but my name is not Janet.
I thought you were janet jackson fan :p (i kid, i figured that but i write first letters of nicknames out of rush..sorry!)

MKFSfan

Medalist
IMO, "it" factor = Star Quality.

Obviously that is open to subjective opinion. But chances are, if they can get their name in the press and have the media hound them, they have "it"!!!\

I've never been much of a Tara fan, yet look at the girl-11 years after her Big Win, a brief stint on tour and a few minor TV roles later, the media STILL snaps her picture while she is out and about. Why? Star quality.

icedancexpert

Rinkside
Ladies:
Yuna Kim (Obviously), Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Katarina Witt, Dorothy Hammill, Naomi Nari Nam (the year she came in second to Michelle at Nationals)

(Grace under pressure, strong role models, gracious in defeat, star-power)

Men:
Kurt Browning, Rudy Galindo, Evgeni Plushenko, Alexei Yagudin, Adam Rippon

(Strong performers, style, and charismatic)

Pairs:
Gordeeva/Grinkov, Sale/Pelletier, Shen/Zhao

(Dominance, personality, and beautiful skating)

Dance:
Torville/Dean, Usova/Zhulin (dramatic both on and off the ice), Duschenays, Belbin/Agosto, Virtue/Moir, Shibutanis

(Charismatic, media-savvy, great performers, large fan base)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Not sure what you mean by the "it factor"; however, many skaters are referred to as having "the whole package." Kurt Browning comes to mind for example. Kurt is the consumate entertainer, athlete and musical skating genious. I guess one could call that the "it factor."

At one time figures played a major role in figure skating. Skaters who could do it all - like Karen Magnussen earned the title of the "whole package" skater.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I define IT by the following:

• a nonfan who mocks you for watching skating wanders through the room and stops to watch during a subpar performance and says "wow" (ala Irina at 2004 worlds - I think)
  • your then nine year old son screams "Ta Da!" after every jump (ala Emily Hughes)
  • your husband stops and says "why isn't he doing something practical like playing soccer? (ala Joubert)
  • you don't mind when they TOTALLY forget the program durning a competition (ala Kurt Browning)
  • You stand up and cheer at the conclusion of their program & prior to that you didn't really care (ala Yuna at Worlds)
  • You don't even care what they do on the ice - you just like watchin' 'em skate (ala Miki)
  • You feel compelled to eat chicken and junior mints whenever they hit the ice - its just mandatory - and your husband already knows what's for dinner that night (ala Kwan)
  • Your name is :bow:Michelle Wing Kwan:bow: and even when you loose, you still win and everybody knows it... because you are simply that damn awesome.

I almost forgot - you are the cause of knock down drag outs on skating boards - I'm not a fan but I cannot deny that Sasha has IT

When you hit any of the above, then you have IT.

passion

On the Ice
To me, you are born with the "it" factor. There is something about the skater that makes her stand out in a crowd. It could be her beautiful presence on the ice or an undefined quality about her skating that grabs your attention like you can't keep your eyes off her as she is performing. It's like she's bringing you on a ride and you're experiencing all the emotion at the same time she is while she is skating to the music. It's like she took an arrow and shot it directly to your heart leaving you breathless because her skating is so breathtaking. She is a natural at movement and the expression to music gives her so much joy that you can't help but notice how much she loves to perform. As a spectator, you feel that you have just experienced her gift to the world.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
To me, you are born with the "it" factor. There is something about the skater that makes her stand out in a crowd. It could be her beautiful presence on the ice or an undefined quality about her skating that grabs your attention like you can't keep your eyes off her as she is performing. It's like she's bringing you on a ride and you're experiencing all the emotion at the same time she is while she is skating to the music. It's like she took an arrow and shot it directly to your heart leaving you breathless because her skating is so breathtaking. She is a natural at movement and the expression to music gives her so much joy that you can't help but notice how much she loves to perform. As a spectator, you feel that you have just experienced her gift to the world.

:agree:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Did the "it" factor have an impact on the Grand Prix selections?

Last edited:

wishmaker

Rinkside
Okay, my idea of IT---when someone has the soul/spirit of. In relation to figure skaters, when you see them on the ice, you don't see her/his normal/usual self as you see her/him during the ordinary day doing ordianry things. When he/she is on the ice, you see a different person, a complete transformation from ordinary/normal person, into an awesome skater. He/she has the soul/spirit of something that makes him/her special. The IT FACTOR is not limited only to figure skaters but is within anybody else whom anyone can see that there is something special about her/him because they shine within.

MKFSfan

Medalist
This was an interesting thread! I think everything that has been posted is relevant to the "it" factor and it is up to each individual fan, observer, viewer, etc. to determine what appeals to them. I think we can all agree the majority of elite skaters have a special quality that makes them stand out against the average field of skaters. They are the ones you are drawn to during practice sessions, the ones that stand out in a crowd even if they are dressed in plain black. They are the ones the media seeks out, whether or not that skater purposely draws attention. It is the undeniable star quality, whether it is in your face or subtle. There is no specific description or guideline to determine who falls in that category.

janetfan

Match Penalty
From Wikipedia:

"The it factor refers to an undefinable quality a person has that makes them charismatic or attractive in some way. While the term is generally used in the entertainment industry, politicians, religious leaders, and job-seekers could all be described to have the it factor."

iceangel

Spectator
:biggrin:

What is the "it factor"? Well, I found it surprisingly, I might add, in France's Alban Preaubert.

I say "surprisingly" because I had become bored with the male competitors and wondered who, if anyone, would ever capture my imagination and make watching the men's short and long programmes interesting again!

And there he was! Alban Preaubert! Had never heard of him, and suddenly I was giggling out loud. What a ham! What a charmer! He steps on the ice and has so much fun, his programmes are choreographed to suit his personality. Fans (or at least this fan!) find him completely irresistible, and the lad can skate! When the competition is over, Alban is the only skater I remember and look forward to seeing again!!!!

iceangel

Spectator
Ladies:
Yuna Kim (Obviously), Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Katarina Witt, Dorothy Hammill, Naomi Nari Nam (the year she came in second to Michelle at Nationals)

(Grace under pressure, strong role models, gracious in defeat, star-power)

Men:
Kurt Browning, Rudy Galindo, Evgeni Plushenko, Alexei Yagudin, Adam Rippon

(Strong performers, style, and charismatic)

Pairs:
Gordeeva/Grinkov, Sale/Pelletier, Shen/Zhao

(Dominance, personality, and beautiful skating)

Dance:
Torville/Dean, Usova/Zhulin (dramatic both on and off the ice), Duschenays, Belbin/Agosto, Virtue/Moir, Shibutanis

(Charismatic, media-savvy, great performers, large fan base)

:biggrin: I agree with most on your list, especially Kurt Browning (a genius!), Torville and Dean (brilliant, and like Kurt, they are still very relevant after all those years).

I would, however, have added the irrrepressible and always entertaining Scott Hamilton to the list. Scottie combined awesome talent with such hilarity that I cannot imagine a more fitting example of "the it factor". His "Opera" programme is simply incomparable for technical skating and insane interpretation of the music:laugh:! And rarely has anyone been so loved by so many in the world of figure skating.

janetfan

Match Penalty
:biggrin: I agree with most on your list, especially Kurt Browning (a genius!), Torville and Dean (brilliant, and like Kurt, they are still very relevant after all those years).

I would, however, have added the irrrepressible and always entertaining Scott Hamilton to the list. Scottie combined awesome talent with such hilarity that I cannot imagine a more fitting example of "the it factor". His "Opera" programme is simply incomparable for technical skating and insane interpretation of the music:laugh:! And rarely has anyone been so loved by so many in the world of figure skating.

Good post and I heartily agree with you that HUMOR seems to be a rare commodity in the skating world today. It is something I see in Mirai - and not many others at this time.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
IMO, "it" factor = Star Quality.

Obviously that is open to subjective opinion. But chances are, if they can get their name in the press and have the media hound them, they have "it"!!!\

I've never been much of a Tara fan, yet look at the girl-11 years after her Big Win, a brief stint on tour and a few minor TV roles later, the media STILL snaps her picture while she is out and about. Why? Star quality.

Yes