Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The "It Factor"

Custom Title
    practising Smetana's Macbeth and the Witches...
    I don't think any of the current US ladies has an "it" package but they have some little sparks. Caro Z has "it" moves, like the pearl spin, Rachael has "it" attitude, competition nerves and joy for skating, Mirai also has "it" moves and speed, Kimmie definitely has "it" work ethic and personality, Alissa has "it" flexibility as Caro Z and Mirai, Emily has "it" attack and presence, Ashley has "it" power... they all have something special but noticeably lack in another area which makes it difficult for me to say "it" overall

I am still waiting for an official definition of "IT".. I believe everyone who posted who has IT, has their own definition.

Mine has to do with the Whole Package and not just any element. It has to do with so many things but it should be pointed out that the skater with 'IT' is unique and vastly different from all other skaters in the most complimentary sort of way.

What is your definition of "IT"..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I am still waiting for an official definition of "IT".. I believe everyone who posted who has IT, has their own definition.

Mine has to do with the Whole Package and not just any element. It has to do with so many things but it should be pointed out that the skater with 'IT' is unique and vastly different from all other skaters in the most complimentary sort of way.

You are right, there is no one definition. The term, coined by Elinor Glyn, was originally applied to silent star Clara Bow, the 1920's "It Girl." Even Clara didn't know what it meant; when asked, she replied, "I ain't real sure." IMO regardless of how much "It" Cohen has, if she doesn't do at least one GP and isn't in the top two at nationals, she ain't going to the Olympics.

A skater that no matter what goes on (whether they are having a good or bad skate day) you can't take your eyes off them.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    A skater that no matter what goes on (whether they are having a good or bad skate day) you can't take your eyes off them.
    that combined with the nervousness you feel when they skate, wondering if they will do well.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Mine has to do with the Whole Package and not just any element.
    For me, certainly not the ones who have the elements or the package. My view is that its not the skaters with best technique, or jumps, or spins or whatever.

'It' skater: when they sparkle more than their sequins even while doing crossovers.
    "It" definition: the little fragment of the skater's soul shining on ice after he/she/they have left the rink. (it rains, i m poetic)

Custom Title
    nynnlyr, you are correct in that it started with Clara Bow,
    why she starred in the Movie called "It Girl", ever since than .
    The "it girl" has become acquainted with star power in selling whether because of sex appeal, medals, winning, sportmanship, etc.
    The it factor has become big.

Custom Title
    when i mention it factor, i was thinking of only the current crop of skatersnot the past skaters or who haven't skating in a while.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoitTf-0B8A

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    For me, certainly not the ones who have the elements or the package. My view is that its not the skaters with best technique, or jumps, or spins or whatever.

'It' skater: when they sparkle more than their sequins even while doing crossovers.
    "It" definition: the little fragment of the skater's soul shining on ice after he/she/they have left the rink. (it rains, i m poetic)

Are you saying Plushy has no "it" factor? Because he does have all the technique. (?????)

What if the skater is not wearing sequins? What does that have to with "it" ????

I agree with your last sentence about "soul". That and more are what "it" is all about.

The rest of what you said did not make sense to me.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Exquisite! Unbelievable. Yes - "it." Thanks for posting.

janet this was what i needed after a bad day...me and my roomies thank you, we spitted our drinks from laughing. You are funny, i ll come back

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    janet this was what i needed after a bad day...me and my roomies thank you, we spitted our drinks from laughing. You are funny, i ll come back

Dobre nottes Seniorita,

Glad I could make your night - and amuse you and your friends! The least you could do is offer to share whatever it is you are drinking with me....
    Sorry if I read your post too fast coz I see now I might have misunderstood you.
    And, FYI, I am a fan of Janet Lynn - but my name is not Janet. No big deal, and I am a big Plushy fan....so I must have some common sense - not to mention very good taste in skaters

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Are you saying Plushy has no "it" factor? Because he does have all the technique. (?????)
    Would I ever say that???I laughed with your comment cause when i try to write something it looks clear in my mind but usually not for the rest..you know.. But this is one of few topics I didnt think to mention plushy. For the record I dont think anyone has the perfect package, not evgeni, not anyone. But flaws are nothing when they have the 'it' . And of course I think he has "it", but wasnt that a given for me in this forum??
    What i wanted to say that the whole package or great jumps, great spins or any great elements are not making the 'it' skater necessarily!Someone can be perfect but indifferent. It is something more they should have. A star above their head.
    Sequins comment was meant to be metaphorically, humor from the other topic, like they need to shine themselves ... but got lost in translation:o
    I am a fan of Janet Lynn - but my name is not Janet.
    I thought you were janet jackson fan (i kid, i figured that but i write first letters of nicknames out of rush..sorry!)

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Phenomenal performance! I remember her well, she was a beautiful little darling. What a natural performer!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast