Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 122

Thread: The "It Factor"

  1. #106
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    IMO, "it" factor = Star Quality.

    Obviously that is open to subjective opinion. But chances are, if they can get their name in the press and have the media hound them, they have "it"!!!\

    I've never been much of a Tara fan, yet look at the girl-11 years after her Big Win, a brief stint on tour and a few minor TV roles later, the media STILL snaps her picture while she is out and about. Why? Star quality.

  2. #107
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    39
    Ladies:
    Yuna Kim (Obviously), Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Katarina Witt, Dorothy Hammill, Naomi Nari Nam (the year she came in second to Michelle at Nationals)

    (Grace under pressure, strong role models, gracious in defeat, star-power)

    Men:
    Kurt Browning, Rudy Galindo, Evgeni Plushenko, Alexei Yagudin, Adam Rippon

    (Strong performers, style, and charismatic)


    Pairs:
    Gordeeva/Grinkov, Sale/Pelletier, Shen/Zhao

    (Dominance, personality, and beautiful skating)

    Dance:
    Torville/Dean, Usova/Zhulin (dramatic both on and off the ice), Duschenays, Belbin/Agosto, Virtue/Moir, Shibutanis

    (Charismatic, media-savvy, great performers, large fan base)

  3. #108
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,685
    Not sure what you mean by the "it factor"; however, many skaters are referred to as having "the whole package." Kurt Browning comes to mind for example. Kurt is the consumate entertainer, athlete and musical skating genious. I guess one could call that the "it factor."

    At one time figures played a major role in figure skating. Skaters who could do it all - like Karen Magnussen earned the title of the "whole package" skater.

  4. #109
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    I define IT by the following:

    • a nonfan who mocks you for watching skating wanders through the room and stops to watch during a subpar performance and says "wow" (ala Irina at 2004 worlds - I think)
    • your then nine year old son screams "Ta Da!" after every jump (ala Emily Hughes)
    • your husband stops and says "why isn't he doing something practical like playing soccer? (ala Joubert)
    • you don't mind when they TOTALLY forget the program durning a competition (ala Kurt Browning)
    • You stand up and cheer at the conclusion of their program & prior to that you didn't really care (ala Yuna at Worlds)
    • You don't even care what they do on the ice - you just like watchin' 'em skate (ala Miki)
    • You feel compelled to eat chicken and junior mints whenever they hit the ice - its just mandatory - and your husband already knows what's for dinner that night (ala Kwan)
    • Your name is Michelle Wing Kwan and even when you loose, you still win and everybody knows it... because you are simply that damn awesome.


    I almost forgot - you are the cause of knock down drag outs on skating boards - I'm not a fan but I cannot deny that Sasha has IT

    When you hit any of the above, then you have IT.

  5. #110
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    439
    To me, you are born with the "it" factor. There is something about the skater that makes her stand out in a crowd. It could be her beautiful presence on the ice or an undefined quality about her skating that grabs your attention like you can't keep your eyes off her as she is performing. It's like she's bringing you on a ride and you're experiencing all the emotion at the same time she is while she is skating to the music. It's like she took an arrow and shot it directly to your heart leaving you breathless because her skating is so breathtaking. She is a natural at movement and the expression to music gives her so much joy that you can't help but notice how much she loves to perform. As a spectator, you feel that you have just experienced her gift to the world.

  6. #111
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post
    To me, you are born with the "it" factor. There is something about the skater that makes her stand out in a crowd. It could be her beautiful presence on the ice or an undefined quality about her skating that grabs your attention like you can't keep your eyes off her as she is performing. It's like she's bringing you on a ride and you're experiencing all the emotion at the same time she is while she is skating to the music. It's like she took an arrow and shot it directly to your heart leaving you breathless because her skating is so breathtaking. She is a natural at movement and the expression to music gives her so much joy that you can't help but notice how much she loves to perform. As a spectator, you feel that you have just experienced her gift to the world.

  7. #112
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Did the "it" factor have an impact on the Grand Prix selections?
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-02-2009 at 12:38 PM.

  8. #113
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    70
    Okay, my idea of IT---when someone has the soul/spirit of. In relation to figure skaters, when you see them on the ice, you don't see her/his normal/usual self as you see her/him during the ordinary day doing ordianry things. When he/she is on the ice, you see a different person, a complete transformation from ordinary/normal person, into an awesome skater. He/she has the soul/spirit of something that makes him/her special. The IT FACTOR is not limited only to figure skaters but is within anybody else whom anyone can see that there is something special about her/him because they shine within.

  9. #114
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    This was an interesting thread! I think everything that has been posted is relevant to the "it" factor and it is up to each individual fan, observer, viewer, etc. to determine what appeals to them. I think we can all agree the majority of elite skaters have a special quality that makes them stand out against the average field of skaters. They are the ones you are drawn to during practice sessions, the ones that stand out in a crowd even if they are dressed in plain black. They are the ones the media seeks out, whether or not that skater purposely draws attention. It is the undeniable star quality, whether it is in your face or subtle. There is no specific description or guideline to determine who falls in that category.

  10. #115
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    From Wikipedia:

    "The it factor refers to an undefinable quality a person has that makes them charismatic or attractive in some way. While the term is generally used in the entertainment industry, politicians, religious leaders, and job-seekers could all be described to have the it factor."

  11. #116
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2

    The "It Factor"



    What is the "it factor"? Well, I found it surprisingly, I might add, in France's Alban Preaubert.

    I say "surprisingly" because I had become bored with the male competitors and wondered who, if anyone, would ever capture my imagination and make watching the men's short and long programmes interesting again!

    And there he was! Alban Preaubert! Had never heard of him, and suddenly I was giggling out loud. What a ham! What a charmer! He steps on the ice and has so much fun, his programmes are choreographed to suit his personality. Fans (or at least this fan!) find him completely irresistible, and the lad can skate! When the competition is over, Alban is the only skater I remember and look forward to seeing again!!!!

  12. #117
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2

    Thumbs up The "It Factor"

    Quote Originally Posted by icedancexpert View Post
    Ladies:
    Yuna Kim (Obviously), Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Katarina Witt, Dorothy Hammill, Naomi Nari Nam (the year she came in second to Michelle at Nationals)

    (Grace under pressure, strong role models, gracious in defeat, star-power)

    Men:
    Kurt Browning, Rudy Galindo, Evgeni Plushenko, Alexei Yagudin, Adam Rippon

    (Strong performers, style, and charismatic)


    Pairs:
    Gordeeva/Grinkov, Sale/Pelletier, Shen/Zhao

    (Dominance, personality, and beautiful skating)

    Dance:
    Torville/Dean, Usova/Zhulin (dramatic both on and off the ice), Duschenays, Belbin/Agosto, Virtue/Moir, Shibutanis

    (Charismatic, media-savvy, great performers, large fan base)

    I agree with most on your list, especially Kurt Browning (a genius!), Torville and Dean (brilliant, and like Kurt, they are still very relevant after all those years).

    I would, however, have added the irrrepressible and always entertaining Scott Hamilton to the list. Scottie combined awesome talent with such hilarity that I cannot imagine a more fitting example of "the it factor". His "Opera" programme is simply incomparable for technical skating and insane interpretation of the music! And rarely has anyone been so loved by so many in the world of figure skating.

  13. #118
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by iceangel View Post
    I agree with most on your list, especially Kurt Browning (a genius!), Torville and Dean (brilliant, and like Kurt, they are still very relevant after all those years).

    I would, however, have added the irrrepressible and always entertaining Scott Hamilton to the list. Scottie combined awesome talent with such hilarity that I cannot imagine a more fitting example of "the it factor". His "Opera" programme is simply incomparable for technical skating and insane interpretation of the music! And rarely has anyone been so loved by so many in the world of figure skating.
    Good post and I heartily agree with you that HUMOR seems to be a rare commodity in the skating world today. It is something I see in Mirai - and not many others at this time.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-02-2009 at 06:33 PM.

  14. #119
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,082
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post

    [Definition]: "The it factor refers to an undefinable quality..."

  15. #120
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    IMO, "it" factor = Star Quality.

    Obviously that is open to subjective opinion. But chances are, if they can get their name in the press and have the media hound them, they have "it"!!!\

    I've never been much of a Tara fan, yet look at the girl-11 years after her Big Win, a brief stint on tour and a few minor TV roles later, the media STILL snaps her picture while she is out and about. Why? Star quality.
    Yes

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •