Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 2009-2010 Coaching changes

  1. #1
    Brazilian Eurotrash beep_beep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Porto Alegre, Brazil
    Posts
    2,017

    2009-2010 Coaching changes

    Well, we are in for another off season of coaching music chairs.
    So far:

    McLaughlin/Brubaker: from Sappenfield to Nicks
    Abbott: Zakrajsek to Sato
    Nagasu: from Wong to Carroll
    Inoue/Baldwin: from Mills to Meno/Sand

    All in the US, apparently, so far...

    In the midst of alleged babies and comebacks, it looks like this will not be a boring off season...

    Anyone you think will too change coaches about this time ?

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Outside the US, Joubert changed coaches, supposedly temporarily, after Worlds to get ready for WTT. It was said after that the French federation would be looking for a permanent coach for him. There was some talk it might be Tarasova. ?? So add to the list:

    Joubert >> ?? ( for now)

  3. #3
    Brazilian Eurotrash beep_beep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Porto Alegre, Brazil
    Posts
    2,017
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    Outside the US, Joubert changed coaches, supposedly temporarily, after Worlds to get ready for WTT. It was said after that the French federation would be looking for a permanent coach for him. There was some talk it might be Tarasova. ?? So add to the list:

    Joubert >> ?? ( for now)
    Oh, yeah, I completely forgot that one...(kind of a big one...) too many people annoucing changes at the same time... I forgot the ones that came before... my bad

  4. #4
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,426
    AFAIK Joubert is still with Depouilly, Tarasova (I think) is only supposed to consult and do choreo for his LP.

    Didn't Cappellini and Lanotte also change coaches, moving to Lyon to train with Muriel Zazoui's group?

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    AFAIK Joubert is still with Depouilly, Tarasova (I think) is only supposed to consult and do choreo for his LP.
    You're right, he is but it was my understanding that was to be temporary just through WTT. TT was one that was being talked about for a full time coach.

    Maybe it's working out well so they decided to keep working together. Didn't they work together before at some point? If so, seems possible that what separated them the first time around may still be a factor on down the road.

  6. #6
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    Maybe it's working out well so they decided to keep working together. Didn't they work together before at some point? If so, seems possible that what separated them the first time around may still be a factor on down the road.
    Yes, Depouilly was with Joubert before. One of the things I read about the break-up is, that they were "too close". If that was one of the main problems, then it might be very well possible that being apart for several years was all their coaching relationship needed and now everything is fine.

    It's not exactly what that cheating French Figure Skating president wanted, does anybody know if he gave / gives Joubert trouble because of that?

  7. #7
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    It's not like the 'new' coach is going to show them how to do elementary skating. I presume it's for the 'new' coach to assist the skater(s) in getting over the rough spots. Will Depuilly get Joubert's mind more in focus? He has the goods to win.

  8. #8
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,426
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    You're right, he is but it was my understanding that was to be temporary just through WTT. TT was one that was being talked about for a full time coach.
    TT was never supposed to be the full time coach, because Brian won't relocate to Moscow. There was talk of him going there for one week a month, which to me suggests consulting and polish on the choreo, not a coaching arrangement. I've heard that Tarasova has been having some medical problems (hope that's not true), but either way Brian has been in Poitiers since the season ended. His LP music has been chosen but so far it's being kept a secret. He's keeping his SP from last year.

  9. #9
    Custom Title NatachaHatawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    724
    I've read the last few posts and thought I'd bring some of my "Babou-expertise" to answer some questions.

    Concerning the fact that Brian has already worked with Laurent

    Brian was being coached by Laurent when he became European champ and vice world champ in 2004. However there were several problems, some that lead to their split (according to Brian in his book):

    - as Medusa pointed out, they were far too "matey". Laurent frenquently spent time with Brian and his family while he was in Poitiers. Because of this Brian couldn't let off steam and speak frankly to his family (his Mum being his greatest support), but said what Laurent wanted to hear.

    - During competitions, Laurent was always extremely nervous. Amthough Brian said that this wasn't all that much a problem, because of his own mental strength, I'm not sure Brian needs somebody all stressed out during the Olys.

    - One thing that made their relationship particularly sour was the fact that when there was a victory, Laurent's attitude was "Yay! We won" and when Brian didn't win it was "Brian what did you do wrong?"

    - The thing that directly lead to the federation sacking Laurent was the fact that he wasn't there all that often (Although Brian says he wasn't happy with it, he also blames de federation for not being honest financially with Laurent). To save his reputation , he claimed that Brian wasn't rigourous and was often late, although Brian claims that he was always on time and that Laurent was always late.

    What the problem really seems to have been is that Laurent can be as bad-tempered as Brian, if not ten times worse, which as anybody can imagine is not necessarily a good thing, especially when Laurent loses his temper 5 metres away from Plushenko!

    Concerning Didier Gailhaguet's attitidue

    The first thing that can be said is that it's common lnowledge, especially after Didier's rant in front of the whole of the French press, that he wanted Brian to work with Brian Orser. He clearly believes that Brian should leave Poitiers if necessary. I do believe that he isn't completely against the idea of Brian working with Laurent again. And one must take note that it's not because Didier gave a press conference in which he more or less told Brian "get rid of JCS or else..." that their relationship isn't good. That's the way Didier has always spoken to Brian and they understand each other as they're both hot-heads. They're honest to each other.

    Concerning Laurent and Tatiana's respective role

    It would seem that Brian has no intention of changing the original plan, i.e: Laurent being his coach and Tatiana his choreographer. I do suspect however that Tatiana probably gives Brian some advice and that she'll probably, as well as Laurent, accompany him to the Olys (she is far more calm!)



    As for my opinion on Brian's choices:

    Concerning Laurent Depouilly:
    I am rather sceptical for the reasons why they split. However, they have both had time to mature (Brian is definitly more mature since 2004), so maybe their collaboration will be better this time round. But still I've got the feeling that Brian chose Laurent with his brain and not his gut instinct, which is, when it comes to Brian never a good thing. I've got the feeling he chose Laurent out of rationnal logic (he was European champ with him and, until things went wrong, their relationship was rather good). However when Brian tries to be logical it rarely works (for example when he calculates how many points he needs to become world champ he either gets ssilver or gold or his choice in 04/05 to work with TT - I'll come back to her later). When he follows his gut instinct however, he gets things spot on: working with Kurt (he never saw him skate, he just had a feeling that they would do good work together), changing back to Matrix (eventually!) in 2006...
    Saying that, Laurent was originaly a tempory choice, so if Brian decided to keep him on, then it probably means that things were going really well.

    Concerning Tatiana Tarasova
    Brian already worked with her in 04/05. The choreographies she did were beautiful and really brought out loads of Brians qualities. However, Brian didn't feel comfortable with them, he couldn't get them "under his skin". Also, her way of working wasn't ideal, as she'd do something and start all over again. However, I do have reasons to believe Tatiana is a good choice. Firstly, he trusts her and she adores him. There is no doubt that she is committed to enabling him to get gold. Secondly, as I've already said, she knows how to bring out Brian's artistic qualities. Thirdly, although the programs that she made for him in 04/05 didn't suite his personnality, Tatiana has had loads of time to think something up for him (she always has wanted to work with Brian again) and Brian has gained artistic maturity.
    I definitly think that she should accompany Brian during big competitions, as I really believe that she can be of strong mental support.
    Last edited by NatachaHatawa; 05-24-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Just correcting some dreadful English mistakes!

  10. #10
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Thanks for the insight, NatachaHatawa! I can't wait till October to see how everything turned out for Brian.

  11. #11
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,426
    Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    I definitly think that she should accompany Brian during big competitions, as I really believe that she can be of strong mental support.
    Thanks, Natacha! That was very helpful and interesting. I agree with you re TT's role and hope it works out. At the very least if she's with him in competition, she'll make sure he goes into the LP with one plan and one contingency rather than a "choose your own adventure" type approach .

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Thanks for all the additional information NatachaHatawa! That makes sense.

    Love the "choose your own adventure" line. I'm very certain TT wouldn't go for that - she said as much backstage when she talked to him after worlds. (in a fluff - vid clip I saw-"never change" repearted often

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •