Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should Weir skip the GP this year?

Hybrid View

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar

Should Weir skip the GP this year?

Ever since Johnny changed coaches he has been tearing up the GP, winning or placing second in all the events he entered. He appears unbeatable until the major competitions come around, starting with the GP final. He has had less than suberb performances at nationals the last two times and although his skate at worlds in 2008 was good, esp the SP, he was admittedly exhausted.

I think that because if the importance of skating well in feb, Johnny should skip the GP and stagger his training to peak at the olympics and nationals. thoughts?

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    The issue there would be that he would have no international judges' feedback on his programs, no opporunity to make sure he's getting all his levels and everything... which is what some skaters use the GP series as -- an opportunity to test out programs before the "big competitions", ie. Olympics and Worlds. Then again, fatigue is also a factor, since in particular Jessica Dubé and Bryce Davison (2008 World Pairs bronze Medallists from Canada) were almost burned out two years ago when they did 3 GP's, the Final, and then had only about a month before Nationals. I think in all it was something like 3 competitions in 7 weeks at some point for them.

Bottom line, I think he should do the GP, just to get the feedback from the judges -- I think it's worth it.

-kypma

Custom Title
    I think skipping the GP circuit would not be a good idea for Johnny. He hasn't competed internationally since December. I do think he needs to look at when he peaks during his season, but I think skipping the GP in order to do that is a major no-no. If he did that, he probably wouldn't compete internationally until the Olympics (I think 4CC are in Asia two weeks before Olympics in NA). He would have had no exposure and no feedback about his programs. Bad idea.

Custom Title
    If he did that, he probably wouldn't compete internationally until the Olympics (I think 4CC are in Asia two weeks before Olympics in NA). He would have had no exposure and no feedback about his programs. Bad idea.
    To add to that, 4Cs in 2010 start on Jan. 25, the day right after the end of US Nationals on Jan. 24. Logistically, it's highly unlikely, that medalists from Spokane going on to Vancouver will even go to 4Cs with only two weeks to the start of the Olympics after that. Talk about an exhausting schedule.

Therefore, if Johnny is to get international feedback on his programs before Vancouver, he'll need to do the GP. JMO.

Plus, I'm sure the prize money is a factor for him as well as for many skaters these days.
    Last edited by merrybari; 05-24-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Wow, In reading the title I thought this actually was johnny's plan.

If he is serious about winning medal (any color) at the Olys, then he must have decided what he thinks would be best for him.

I think rushing off to Seoul and Moscow for exhibitions, rushing off to fashion runways, enjoying the nightlife, making interviews, making movies does cut out some practice time. This must stop at some point. He has coaches that are truly interested in him, and also want to make a name for themselves.

If he really has an interest in competitive skating, he will skate his best at all events that he signs up for.

his coaches already have names... but I agree they are very invested in his success... he just needs to be as equally invested if not more so.

I get that he has financial pressure, but if he cut out the luxuries at least for this season he could afford it all and have some left over and not be so drained come nationals. It's really hard for me to see a skater (or any athlete/celeb) cry poor mouth when they're in designer everything (and said designers aren't sponsoring them).

That being said - GP is a must if he wants to stay in the running for the team... it's obvious that his World Bronze wasn't enough, so he's going to have to show that he's SERIOUS.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    his coaches already have names... but I agree they are very invested in his success... he just needs to be as equally invested if not more so.

I get that he has financial pressure, but if he cut out the luxuries at least for this season he could afford it all and have some left over and not be so drained come nationals. It's really hard for me to see a skater (or any athlete/celeb) cry poor mouth when they're in designer everything (and said designers aren't sponsoring them).

That being said - GP is a must if he wants to stay in the running for the team... it's obvious that his World Bronze wasn't enough, so he's going to have to show that he's SERIOUS.
    I’m not sure he is getting luxury stuffs now, but it’s so much easier to suggest solutions, when we don’t know all the details.
    What I can see is he is trying to do the best he can given the present situation. I don’t think there is a need to bring up those same past arguments again and again and again.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Just a few comments. Much of the designer wear that Johnny sports is from many prior seasons ago, or have been gifted to him by fans. In fact, when I was in Korea at FOI, I witnessed a number of his fans walking in with gifts for him in designer shopping bags. I think that Johnny has limited his shopping tremendously compared with prior periods (i.e., prior during 2006).

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Ever since Johnny changed coaches he has been tearing up the GP, winning or placing second in all the events he entered. He appears unbeatable until the major competitions come around, starting with the GP final. He has had less than suberb performances at nationals the last two times and although his skate at worlds in 2008 was good, esp the SP, he was admittedly exhausted.

I think that because if the importance of skating well in feb, Johnny should skip the GP and stagger his training to peak at the olympics and nationals. thoughts?

That is an interesting thought. Didn't Jeremy also claim to be exhausted by the time Worlds came around this past season?
    Another thought might be to cut back on Gala appearances. I doubt if Johnny's appearance in Korea for the Xmas Gala (when he was already under the weather) did much for his chances at Natls. But skaters have to make a living so I am not sure which events might be best for them to cut back on.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    That is an interesting thought. Didn't Jeremy also claim to be exhausted by the time Worlds came around this past season?
    Another thought might be to cut back on Gala appearances. I doubt if Johnny's appearance in Korea for the Xmas Gala (when he was already under the weather) did much for his chances at Natls. But skaters have to make a living so I am not sure which events might be best for them to cut back on.
    That's a good point. I think it's more realistic for him to cut down on Gala performances. If he budgets wisely, money shouldn't be an issue now that he stars in his own reality show, assuming he makes money from it.

Custom Title
    I have a question, call me stupid. but did Johnny come out and state he didn't want to do a Grand Prix Event this season?
    Or was this just started as a question by a fan on the assumption, that Johnny is good/ and for (so-called)health reasons, he shouldn't do one.

Because if it is the latter question, than it doesn't matter what we as fans think because Johnny will do GP. If it is the first one, I think it will hurt Johnny if he doesn't do one (unless it is a major health issue that requires surgery).

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    I have a question, call me stupid. but did Johnny come out and state he didn't want to do a Grand Prix Event this season?
    Or was this just started as a question by a fan on the assumption, that Johnny is good/ and for (so-called)health reasons, he shouldn't do one.

I don't remeber this...but I could have missed something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease

In this article from last week you can see that Johnny's next competition will be GP series in fall. That means he has no intention to skip it.

Custom Title
    Michelle Kwan stopped doing the GP because it was too hard for her to stay in top shape throughout a long season, given the hip injury which got worse and worse as the years went by. She had stopped trying to do 3/3s, loops and layback spins because they put too much strain on her hip and back.

Custom Title
    Mathman, I agree with you with respect to the International judging community. His issue lies with the US skating community.

I don't think that Johnny has an option, given the issues he faced last year. Every competition will have to be statement. Otherwise, there's no possibility of his either being marked appropriately at Nationals or being included on the 2010 Olympic team. I thjnk that the only acceptable (to the US judges/USFSA) reason for bowing out of the Grand Prix would be injury. And even then, I wonder about their ability to divorce themselves from their resentment.
    Last edited by efreedman; 05-27-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast