Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Should Weir skip the GP this year?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Weir always seems to get Russia and Japan, oddly enough his two favorite countries. He has a large fan base in both countries, so the odds of him actually skating both events have risen considerably in my book.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    being named and actually skating are two completely different things. The summer has just started, it's quite a ways till October.
    True enough!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Weir always seems to get Russia and Japan, oddly enough his two favorite countries. He has a large fan base in both countries, so the odds of him actually skating both events have risen considerably in my book.
    Does seem to tip the scale in that direction!

it makes sense that he always gets them. he's a huge draw with the local fans... which means, cha-ching!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    The two events he wanted, but two tough competitions for him. The road to the Grand Prix Finale won't be easy.
    I suppose, but if Johnny wants to beat the competition in Vancouver, he might as well get some practice beating them in the Grand Prix .

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I suppose, but if Johnny wants to beat the competition in Vancouver, he might as well get some practice beating them in the Grand Prix .
    Yes, that is a good strategy. I remember that in years before the Nagano Olympics Ilia Kulik very often competed against Stojko in GP events. Also in 1997 they both were in Skate Canada (Stojko won) and GP final, which Kulik won.

Medalist
    Part of me wants Johnny not to peak so early in the season, but with the competition he's facing in his GPs (and of course later on in the season), he needs to show he can beat them.

Wonder how much a trip to Japan would cost from the Philippines? Maybe I can convince my office that they need to cover a skating event...

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ballerynna View Post
    Part of me wants Johnny not to peak so early in the season, but with the competition he's facing in his GPs (and of course later on in the season), he needs to show he can beat them.
    yeah, beating them early is all very satisfying, but by March 2010 nobody will remember or care who won Cup of Russia. An Olympic Medal is remembered a lot more than a few GP victories which have already been claimed.

Medalist
    yeah, beating them early is all very satisfying, but by March 2010 nobody will remember or care who won Cup of Russia. An Olympic Medal is remembered a lot more than a few GP victories which have already been claimed.
    Actually I was thinking more along the lines of at least showing that he shouldn't be completely written off, something like that. But yes, in the long run, it's the Worlds and even more so the Olympic medal that is remembered more

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10