Should Weir skip the GP this year? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Should Weir skip the GP this year?

Binthere

On the Ice
The scheduling of the Grand Prix events is different this coming season as well. Will be interesting to see how that factors into decisions. For instance, the final is in Japan. Who will want to make 2 trips to Asia within 2 months? Very tiring.

efreedman

On the Ice
Per Mathman:Why would the USFSA bear resentment against Johnny Weir -- or against any skater, for that matter?

I believe that they resent his outspoken admiration of all things Russian and his Russian coach. I think that with the exception of ice dancers, there is a prejudice on the part of US judges about having a non-American coach. A friend of mine was sitting immediately in front of a couple of US judges and heard a negative comment from them to that effect.

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
Per Mathman:Why would the USFSA bear resentment against Johnny Weir -- or against any skater, for that matter?

I believe that they resent his outspoken admiration of all things Russian and his Russian coach. I think that with the exception of ice dancers, there is a prejudice on the part of US judges about having a non-American coach. A friend of mine was sitting immediately in front of a couple of US judges and heard a negative comment from them to that effect.
I think the USFSA sees him as a choker and as someone who does not live up to his talent. Personally I don't think they should see him this way, but I think they do see him this way. I think the fact that he is a Russophile does not help him either.

nylynnr

On the Ice
It doesn't matter if you are a Russophile, Francophile, or died-in-the-wool U.S. patriot, if you pop a triple Axel in your short and do it again in the long you're likely to end up fifth best at U.S. nationals.

seniorita

Record Breaker
if you pop a triple Axel in your short and do it again in the long you're likely to end up fifth best at U.S. nationals.

lol that was the tip of the day!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
and I agree.

Wicked

Final Flight
It doesn't matter if you are a Russophile, Francophile, or died-in-the-wool U.S. patriot, if you pop a triple Axel in your short and do it again in the long you're likely to end up fifth best at U.S. nationals.
You're right, Nylynnr. But I still think the USFSA has a more negative opinion of Johnny Weir than he deserves. I wish he would put it all together and show them, but his time for that is running out.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I doubt that the judges hold down his scores domestically on purpose because they don't like him or because they were "told to score him low" by TPTB. I heard from people who were in/near the judges room at Nationals in 08 that they were surprised that Weir didn't win overall because they thought they had scored him high enough and some were disappointed in the result and they had been on the panel. I know this is just hearsay, but still, even if there is a kernel of truth to it, I think that blows away the theory that TPTB just don't like him...

As it is, he has to skate cleanly at Nationals, especially if he's not going to at least rotate a quad, otherwise he will stay home. You can say the same thing for Lysacek and Abbott, so it's not like I'm singling Johnny out.

I believe that they resent his [Weir's] outspoken admiration of all things Russian and his Russian coach. I think that with the exception of ice dancers, there is a prejudice on the part of US judges about having a non-American coach. A friend of mine was sitting immediately in front of a couple of US judges and heard a negative comment from them to that effect.

This is quite strange to me. First, about the coach part, lots of American skaters have been helped by Russian coaches. Mrs. Tarasova worked briefly with Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, and Evan Lysacek, as well as with Johnny. Shpilband and Zoueva and Linichuk and Karponosov coach the top U.S. dance teams, without any apparent ill will on the part of the USFSA.

As for admiring all things Russian, I am dismayed at the thought that any organization run by adults for the benefit of young people would promulgate xenophobia. Lots of young people develop an intense interest in foreign cultures, or in a particular one. They are intrigued by the exotic fashion, cuisine, and customs. They like to hang out with people from other countries and make new friends. If they are serious about it, maybe they become motivated to study the history, language, and contribution to the arts, of the country that has piqued their interest.

How can this be anything but good?

Last edited:

nylynnr

On the Ice
Sometimes I think it's quite easy and glib to say or write, "The USFS doesn't like a certain skater" or "USFS thinks this" or "USFS thinks that." It's a large country and USFS is a big, mostly volunteer organization. It's far from monolithic. There are regions, clubs, etc. and judges and officials from all over.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Weir also seems to have a general tendency not to do all his jumps in the freeskate, what ever the competition may be.

pippa

Rinkside
I wonder if Johnny's inability to do all of the jumps in his long program is related to his poor diet; maybe he just lacks the energy? It seems to me that a nutritious diet with daily protein would help him a lot.

As for the idea that USFS doesn't like him, I think that comes directly from certain things they have done, such as leaving Johnny off both the web site and printed materials for Nationals 2007 while prominently displaying Evan and all of the other top US skaters in large photos on both, even though Johnny was then the three-time reigning champion. Or the kind of negative way they report Johnny's successes on their official website compared to the way they report on Evan or other skaters - for example, when Evan won his bronze medals at Worlds, they trumpeted it in excited terms describing what a triumph it was, but when Johnny won his World bronze, they were considerably more subdued and even negative about his win, remarking that he didn't skate his best (which may have been true, but neither did Lysacek when he got bronze).

nylynnr

On the Ice
As for the idea that USFS doesn't like him, I think that comes directly from certain things they have done, such as leaving Johnny off both the web site and printed materials for Nationals 2007 while prominently displaying Evan and all of the other top US skaters in large photos on both, even though Johnny was then the three-time reigning champion. Or the kind of negative way they report Johnny's successes on their official website compared to the way they report on Evan or other skaters - for example, when Evan won his bronze medals at Worlds, they trumpeted it in excited terms describing what a triumph it was, but when Johnny won his World bronze, they were considerably more subdued and even negative about his win, remarking that he didn't skate his best (which may have been true, but neither did Lysacek when he got bronze).

USFS has formed icenetwork as a joint venture with MLB and it is the main repository of US skating news. Johnny's bronze medal was reported in detail on IN, not on the USFSA site, which by that time was not the site that posted competition reports. Skating magazine also did a lengthy cover story on JW after his bronze medal win. IN does not downplay JW.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
Weir also seems to have a general tendency not to do all his jumps in the freeskate, what ever the competition may be.

Yes, EL fans should appreciate for Johnny about it, therefore EL could get the title in 2008 Nationals. :laugh:.

Last edited:

pippa

Rinkside
USFS has formed icenetwork as a joint venture with MLB and it is the main repository of US skating news. Johnny's bronze medal was reported in detail on IN, not on the USFSA site, which by that time was not the site that posted competition reports. Skating magazine also did a lengthy cover story on JW after his bronze medal win. IN does not downplay JW.

You are correct that icenetwork does not downplay Johnny, but you are incorrect that the USFS official site did not report on Worlds and Johnny's bronze medal there. The USFS official site did indeed have articles about both Johnny's and Evan's bronze medals at Worlds in their respective years, and there is no question that they were covered very differently.

Here is how the USFS official site reported Lysacek's bronze medal at 2006 Worlds:

Glorious and Surprising Finish for Lysacek at World Championships

In a scenario reminiscent of the Olympic Winter Games, Lysacek saved his best performance for last, but this time the ending was different. Skating in the penultimate group, the reigning U.S. silver medalist reeled off seven clean triples, including a quad toe (two-footed)-triple toe combination, and gave "Carmen" all the justice it deserved. One by one his competitors went down without beating his score. He won the bronze medal behind gold medalist Stephane Lambiel of Switzerland and silver medalist Brian Joubert of France. -USFS Website Home Page, March 23, 2006

Here is how the same site reported Johnny's bronze medal at 2008 Worlds:

Weir Wins Bronze Medal at World Championships

Johnny Weir wasn't at his best in Saturday's men's free skate, but he did enough to earn the bronze medal at the 2008 World Figure Skating Championships in Gothenburg, Sweden. -USFS Website Home Page, March 22, 2008

janetfan

Match Penalty
You are correct that icenetwork does not downplay Johnny, but you are incorrect that the USFS official site did not report on Worlds and Johnny's bronze medal there. The USFS official site did indeed have articles about both Johnny's and Evan's bronze medals at Worlds in their respective years, and there is no question that they were covered very differently.

Differently perhaps - but also accurately.
As stated earlier - by 2008, USFS may have been reducing it's coverage/articles of competitions.
And I don't see this as any type of knock against Weir. In fact, the articles you posted said Evan needed the skate of his career just to get third - while noting that Johnny, far from his best was still good enough for third.
How is that reporting a knock against Weir?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I wouldn't call those news blurbs on USFS' home page "full articles" -- just quick summaries written by whoever was managing the USFS site at the time. I think you're reading too much into them... just my humble opinion.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
I wouldn't call those news blurbs on USFS' home page "full articles" -- just quick summaries written by whoever was managing the USFS site at the time. I think you're reading too much into them... just my humble opinion.

I don’t think it has anything to do with reading into them, I think it has more to do with reading what was actually written.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don’t think it has anything to do with reading into them, I think it has more to do with reading what was actually written.

From one perspective what was written makes it sound like Evan was lucky to have had the skate of his life. Anything less and he wouldn't have medaled. The other points out that even on an off evening Weir's talent carried him to a medal.
Actually the reports seem to be truthful - and accurately reflect how they skated.
So where is the bias? Perhaps there is a little bit towards Evan.

Brandi_DeLain

On the Ice

He usually does all of the required jumps, but his problem is that he doesn't always add a third combo. That's cost him a few times now, so I hope he and his team are working on a solution.