Should Weir skip the GP this year? | Golden Skate

Should Weir skip the GP this year?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Ever since Johnny changed coaches he has been tearing up the GP, winning or placing second in all the events he entered. He appears unbeatable until the major competitions come around, starting with the GP final. He has had less than suberb performances at nationals the last two times and although his skate at worlds in 2008 was good, esp the SP, he was admittedly exhausted.

I think that because if the importance of skating well in feb, Johnny should skip the GP and stagger his training to peak at the olympics and nationals. thoughts?

Kypma

Final Flight
The issue there would be that he would have no international judges' feedback on his programs, no opporunity to make sure he's getting all his levels and everything... which is what some skaters use the GP series as -- an opportunity to test out programs before the "big competitions", ie. Olympics and Worlds. Then again, fatigue is also a factor, since in particular Jessica Dubé and Bryce Davison (2008 World Pairs bronze Medallists from Canada) were almost burned out two years ago when they did 3 GP's, the Final, and then had only about a month before Nationals. I think in all it was something like 3 competitions in 7 weeks at some point for them.

Bottom line, I think he should do the GP, just to get the feedback from the judges -- I think it's worth it.

-kypma

skatingbc

Final Flight
I think skipping the GP circuit would not be a good idea for Johnny. He hasn't competed internationally since December. I do think he needs to look at when he peaks during his season, but I think skipping the GP in order to do that is a major no-no. If he did that, he probably wouldn't compete internationally until the Olympics (I think 4CC are in Asia two weeks before Olympics in NA). He would have had no exposure and no feedback about his programs. Bad idea.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Ever since Johnny changed coaches he has been tearing up the GP, winning or placing second in all the events he entered. He appears unbeatable until the major competitions come around, starting with the GP final. He has had less than suberb performances at nationals the last two times and although his skate at worlds in 2008 was good, esp the SP, he was admittedly exhausted.

I think that because if the importance of skating well in feb, Johnny should skip the GP and stagger his training to peak at the olympics and nationals. thoughts?

That is an interesting thought. Didn't Jeremy also claim to be exhausted by the time Worlds came around this past season?
Another thought might be to cut back on Gala appearances. I doubt if Johnny's appearance in Korea for the Xmas Gala (when he was already under the weather) did much for his chances at Natls. But skaters have to make a living so I am not sure which events might be best for them to cut back on.

merrybari

Final Flight
If he did that, he probably wouldn't compete internationally until the Olympics (I think 4CC are in Asia two weeks before Olympics in NA). He would have had no exposure and no feedback about his programs. Bad idea.

To add to that, 4Cs in 2010 start on Jan. 25, the day right after the end of US Nationals on Jan. 24. Logistically, it's highly unlikely, that medalists from Spokane going on to Vancouver will even go to 4Cs with only two weeks to the start of the Olympics after that. Talk about an exhausting schedule.

Therefore, if Johnny is to get international feedback on his programs before Vancouver, he'll need to do the GP. JMO.

Plus, I'm sure the prize money is a factor for him as well as for many skaters these days.

Last edited:

skatingbc

Final Flight
That is an interesting thought. Didn't Jeremy also claim to be exhausted by the time Worlds came around this past season?
Another thought might be to cut back on Gala appearances. I doubt if Johnny's appearance in Korea for the Xmas Gala (when he was already under the weather) did much for his chances at Natls. But skaters have to make a living so I am not sure which events might be best for them to cut back on.

That's a good point. I think it's more realistic for him to cut down on Gala performances. If he budgets wisely, money shouldn't be an issue now that he stars in his own reality show, assuming he makes money from it.

Wow, In reading the title I thought this actually was johnny's plan.

If he is serious about winning medal (any color) at the Olys, then he must have decided what he thinks would be best for him.

I think rushing off to Seoul and Moscow for exhibitions, rushing off to fashion runways, enjoying the nightlife, making interviews, making movies does cut out some practice time. This must stop at some point. He has coaches that are truly interested in him, and also want to make a name for themselves.

If he really has an interest in competitive skating, he will skate his best at all events that he signs up for.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
his coaches already have names... but I agree they are very invested in his success... he just needs to be as equally invested if not more so.

I get that he has financial pressure, but if he cut out the luxuries at least for this season he could afford it all and have some left over and not be so drained come nationals. It's really hard for me to see a skater (or any athlete/celeb) cry poor mouth when they're in designer everything (and said designers aren't sponsoring them).

That being said - GP is a must if he wants to stay in the running for the team... it's obvious that his World Bronze wasn't enough, so he's going to have to show that he's SERIOUS.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
his coaches already have names... but I agree they are very invested in his success... he just needs to be as equally invested if not more so.

I get that he has financial pressure, but if he cut out the luxuries at least for this season he could afford it all and have some left over and not be so drained come nationals. It's really hard for me to see a skater (or any athlete/celeb) cry poor mouth when they're in designer everything (and said designers aren't sponsoring them).

That being said - GP is a must if he wants to stay in the running for the team... it's obvious that his World Bronze wasn't enough, so he's going to have to show that he's SERIOUS.

I’m not sure he is getting luxury stuffs now, but it’s so much easier to suggest solutions, when we don’t know all the details.
What I can see is he is trying to do the best he can given the present situation. I don’t think there is a need to bring up those same past arguments again and again and again.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I don’t think there is a need to bring up those same past arguments again and again and again.
Well, if we don't repeat those arguments again and again - what else can we talk about? I always mention Lysacek's lack of musicality again and again and again. Or remember loudly again and again with glee how Chan sometimes leaves his 3A in Canada. It's a figure skating board and it's off-season, what do you expect?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you don't get those any time of the year on a skating board

and they're relevant. I think that IF he dropped those extra activities the GP wouldn't be so taxing... why should THAT be what he gets rid of in an intense season? I say the gala stuff should go first. yeah the money's nice but he obviously can't do both and succeed at both.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I agree that having judges critique his programs is a good idea, but perhaps he could just do one GP or at least decline the GPF if he qualifies. The GPF is usually half-way around the world, not a good idea to do all that traveling a month before nationals. Same goes for Abbott, but he seems to have recongnized that his training schedule was a problem last season and has said he will try and peak later in the year next time.

elinmand

Rinkside
What Johnny really needs to do is work with a trainer and a nutritionist to make sure he stays in top physical shape. He seems to tire easily and have recurring injuries and pick up colds and flu bugs before nearly every major competition. When was the last time he showed up healthy and rested?

dancingqueen

On the Ice
you don't get those any time of the year on a skating board

I know, that’s why I was laughing. :laugh:

and they're relevant. I think that IF he dropped those extra activities the GP wouldn't be so taxing... why should THAT be what he gets rid of in an intense season? I say the gala stuff should go first. yeah the money's nice but he obviously can't do both and succeed at both.

Do you mean his Korean Christmas charity Gala for his friend ? I’ve heard that he didn’t do that one for money. I think he had promised to attend that one before GPS started (? ) And he didn’t expect to get illness as a result of the trip. Once he accepted , it’s hard to cancel and the charity show audience was expecting him.

So far, since last worlds, he only attended FOI in Korea, and next is JOI in Japan, I don’t see he is planning many ice shows so far. Past is already past, we will see what he plans to do this season.

psycho

On the Ice
The way people talk, it's as if he was doing show after show, after show, all GP season. He did one show. At Christmas.

You know who did many shows during the GP season and especially before worlds? Evan Lysacek. And he's a world champion. That worked out for him! So maybe we should stop blaming "shows" for a random illness he aquired, and accept that sometimes **** happens and it's not always someone's fault.

PS: Skipping GP is a ridiculous idea. He'll do the GP, get some competitive mileage on his programs, and be ready for nationals, just like all the other skaters out there.

Last edited:

greengal5874

Rinkside
As much of a fan of Johnny's that I am, I feel he needs to be training, conditioning, cross-training, etc. more. As said above, Evan did more shows, but Evan became world champ. But Evan also has a personal trainer, nutritionist, and definitely trains enough.
Anyhow, I think that Johnny is capable of anything, and I wish him luck. He definitely needs to do the Grand Prix- that's a given! I think he is one of those skaters that could be REALLY great (more so than the past) if he got ultra committed.....(not that he isn't, but I do think he could step it up a notch)

:clap:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
You know who did many shows during the GP season and especially before worlds? Evan Lysacek. And he's a world champion. That worked out for him!

The difference is that Evan's shows are mainly (if not all) in the U.S. That is a big difference from traveling to from the East coast to east asia back and forth.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny also doesn't just do skating shows... he ends up going to fasion deals and half a dozen other things, as per his journal and other reports... I'm not so narrowminded that that doesn't also take up a great deal of his time. It might be a stress reliever or whatnot, but it definitely takes him away from training...

and the other points of his eating habits and the fact that he'd complained about fatigue in the past is another reason he got sick. There are ways to prevent the common cold... granted skaters do get sick (sometimes at the worst possible moment) but you should still take precaution.

gocaroline

On the Ice
johnny a real rare talent. I feel he just needs to keep focus on his physical condition and training to achieve his best. Doing GP will get him the feedback from the judges and some competitive mileages. So totally skipping GP doesn't sound like a good plan IMO. Besides, I really hope to see his new program early in the season:love: