Should Weir skip the GP this year? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Should Weir skip the GP this year?

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
From one perspective what was written makes it sound like Evan was lucky to have had the skate of his life. Anything less and he wouldn't have medaled. The other points out that even on an off evening Weir's talent carried him to a medal.
Actually the reports seem to be truthful - and accurately reflect how they skated.
So where is the bias? Perhaps there is a little bit towards Evan.

Oh sure, it couldn’t possibly be biased. Come on, people !

I said reading what was actually written.

which was the following :

Lysacek

Glorious and Surprising Finish for Lysacek

Lysacek saved his best performance for last

U.S. silver medalist reeled off seven clean triples

and gave "Carmen" all the justice it deserved

One by one his competitors went down without beating his score

won the bronze medal

Weir

Weir Wins Bronze Medal

Johnny Weir wasn't at his best in Saturday's men's free skate,

did enough to earn the bronze medal

What could possibly be biased about that ?

It couldn't be more crystal clear.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
In his free skate at Nationals (09), he did three combination jumps, but no quad was planned because of his health issue, he made mistakes in one of his 3A and other parts, but what I saw is he started to do three combo, finally. And I see this he will bring next season. The fact he attempted three combo jumps in the condition he was in, I can only imagine what he will do when he is healthy.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Oh sure, it couldn’t possibly be biased. Come on, people !
I said reading what was actually written.
which was the following :
Lysacek
Glorious and Surprising Finish for Lysacek
Lysacek saved his best performance for last
U.S. silver medalist reeled off seven clean triples
and gave "Carmen" all the justice it deserved
One by one his competitors went down without beating his score
won the bronze medal

Weir
Weir Wins Bronze Medal
Johnny Weir wasn't at his best in Saturday's men's free skate,
did enough to earn the bronze medal
What could possibly be biased about that ?
It couldn't be more crystal clear.

I agree with you that the reporting was extremely accurate. One skated up to and possibly exceeded his potential. The other skater have a lacklustre performance nowhere near his potential.
I believe that is what happened and don't see bias, only the truth. Why should any reporter feel obligated to make up facts and stretch the truth about Weir's skating that night. Glad he won - but he did not exactly set the arena on fire.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Lysacek Captures the Bronze at [2006] World Championships
By Laura Fawcett: http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=33541

Movement at the Top in Men's Short Program at [2006] Worlds
by Laura Fawcett: http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=33494

Weir handles pressure, wins bronze medal [2008 Worlds]
American proves that he's tough enough
By Lynn Rutherford:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080322&content_id=46466&vkey=ice_news

Johnny be good: Weir in medal contention [2008 Worlds SP]
Will outspoken skater be U.S. Figure Skating's savior in Gothenburg?
By Lynn Rutherford:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080321&content_id=46304&vkey=ice_news

nylynnr

On the Ice
Comparing the 2006 USFS site to the 2008 USFS site is akin to comparing chalk to cheese. The link from 2006 sited earlier was a paragraph pulled from a full article on the site; the link from 2008 was a sentence that flipped readers over to IN, where articles about Weir's bronze appeared.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You're free to believe whatever you want to believe :)

OK, that is nice and fair enough. :) I just read the links/articles Sylvia posted and it is hard to find much bias.
As to my thoughts on Johnny, even though I have not been his fan since Torino I start to realize he does bring something to these events. Some wonder about his costume or what he will say. I care how he skates. I wonder if we will ever see even one performance at Worlds or Olympics where he actually skates up to his potential. Evan just did it at Worlds and I do hope Johnny has one great skate at a major event before he retires.

IIRC the perception that USFS was trying to marginalize Johnny Weir began with the lead-up to 2007 Nationals.

An official publicity brochure was distributed which prominently featured the reigning ladies champion, Sasha Cohen, the reigning pairs champions, Rene Inoue :love: and John Baldwin, the reigning dance champions, Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto, and...

the reigning men's second place finisher Evan Lysacek. No reigning men's champion Johnny Weir.

It was the same with the official U.S. Nationals web site. Big pictures of Cohen, Inoue/Baldwin, Belbin/Agosto --- and Lysacek. After a public outcry by Weir fans they added a smaller picture of Johnny on page two.

(By the way, I was in Spokane the month before, and the official headquarters for the event featured a big poster of Sasha on the front and a big poster of Tanith and Ben on the side. I don't remember when Sasha officially announced that she would not compete.)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
There were plenty of shots of Tanith in the audience every time Evan skated -- look, Evan has a girl friend! This led to the feeling that the USFSA was pushing Evan as the great straight hope and trying to push Johnny back into the closet.
I do, however, think that USFS has abandoned that particular PR campaign.

Thanks for your comments mm. Sometimes I wonder why I hear little snippets and many innuendos about the "closet" factor - but never anything else that might point to other reasons why US Skating has not always wanted to promote Weir as much as say....Evan. (if that is even true.)
The first and undeniable premise is that Johnny is not unique in his perceived gender preferences. But why does he have a bias problem with his federation and not all of the other skaters who may be share the same preference.....???
There could be other factors such as odd behavior, inappropriate comments at press conferences, perceived lack of competitiveness (choke factor) negative remarks made about other skaters and so forth.
We were talking about bias, or perceived bias - and from what I read here one would assume johnny is a non-controversial person, a true gentleman, kind to animals, a model teamate, etc, etc. That to me displays inaccurate if not unfair bias towards US Skating.
Does anyone think US Skating would be happy if Tannith did nude pictorials in Playboy, or was constantly acting in a sexually provacative manner? Or using language a bit too colorful during interviews? Or just going out of her way to prove she is the flakiest skater in the World? Of course US Skating would frown on such behavior from Tannith or anyone else. US Skating is NOT alone in frowning on tasteless, inappropriate behavior. Yet all I hear is that because Johnny has different preferences US Skating doesn't want to promote him. That is ridiculous and if it could be proven Weir would have sued them already.
What is closer to the truth is that US Skating does not want to promote a flake who can act like a jerk and goes out of his way to be tacky. After his excuses at Torino even Button through Weir under the bus (and it wasn't about Johnny's preferences.) It was about his attititude and the excuses he offered.
I understand US Skating may be too stodgy but isn't it obvious that Weir has done as much as he could to provke them? Or to atleast present himslef past the norms of what the G -rated, family oriented skating business has tried to cater too?
People could look at this from different angles, but I don't buy this one-sided attack on US Skating having it in for Johnny. He brings it on himself and it is easy enough to see he enjoys it until it comes back and bites him where the sun don't shine. Then all we here are cries and complaints from Johnny and his fans.
Am I the only skating fan who gets it?

Last edited:
Johnny's been in World Championships since 2004 plus one Oly. His best showing in a grand international event was in 2008 (Sweden) where he got a a bronze, With the exception of Buttle and Joubert, Daisuke, Verner. Lambiel, Takahiko, Preaubert all had a meltdowns. EVAN wasn't even there.

His third place was well deserved but imo, not all that impressive.

2008 GPs, were impressive but he faltered in the 2009 US Nats. He continues to be a great entertainment skater. How do you rate him if the above is correct and what should the USFS do about making him a poster boy?

btw, the movie about Johnny will be playing in NYC. I hope to see it.

janetfan

Match Penalty
what should the USFS do about making him a poster boy?

btw, the movie about Johnny will be playing in NYC. I hope to see it.

That's a good question Joe. What would you do? How would you promote him? Or maybe how would you go about not promtoting him "fairly?"

What would you do if Tannith went off the deep end and tried to sell herself as the "sex Goddess" of skating"? Would that type of intentionally lewd behavior be good for US Skating?

Like I said I dont believe for a second that Johnny's perceived problems come form his gender preferences. That is the excuse and the easy way to face his apparent lack of promotion and fair treatment from US Skating.
I'm not buying it.

I will wait to see the movie until it gets to cable.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments mm.

Actually, I thought the better of those wonderful comments of mine and decided not to open that particular can of worms. Oh well. :)

What I think about Johnny's off-ice behavior is this. I do not see any benefit to the USFSA to go around tsk-tsking about it. If Tanith Belbin (or Nicole Bobek) wanted to cast herself as a bad girl -- OK, whatever, it's a free country. Same with Johnny Weir.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Actually, I thought the better of those wonderful comments of mine and decided not to open that particular can of worms. Oh well. :)

What I think about Johnny's off-ice behavior is this. I do not see any benefit to the USFSA to go around tsk-tsking about it. If Tanith Belbin (or Nicole Bobek) wanted to cast herself as a bad girl -- OK, whatever, it's a free country. Same with Johnny Weir.

That's a start. A slight admission that Weir's perceived troubles with US Skating are about his behavior and not about his "preferences." I understand that this can be an uncomfortable topic. My whole point is that this is about Weir's occassionally over the top behavior - nothing more and nothing less.
Any moderators can feel free to delete my comments on this subject if it is too touchy.

Brandi_DeLain

On the Ice
Wow, this thread has really gone off topic. :eek:hwell:

To bring it back to the original question : No. Johnny should definitely not skip the GP this year. The GP events allow skaters to get much-needed feedback on their programs prior to Nationals/Olympics.

Since the GP selection meetings are ending today (May 28-30) we should know the assignments fairly soon.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Wow, this thread has really gone off topic. :eek:hwell:

To bring it back to the original question : No. Johnny should definitely not skip the GP this year. The GP events allow skaters to get much-needed feedback on their programs prior to Nationals/Olympics.

Since the GP selection meetings are ending today (May 28-30) we should know the assignments fairly soon.

I agree and the consensus has been that Johnny should skate in the GP series for the reasons you stated
I still think whether he goes to Vancouver or not will depend on him medalling at Nationals.

That's a good question Joe. What would you do? How would you promote him? Or maybe how would you go about not promtoting him "fairly?".
If one clicks on the USFS website one does not see a pic of Johnny.True. But I do not think that picture of several skaters is high tech promoting. Who goes to that website except fans of skating and they have a myriad of interests. If Johnny is a fan, his absence will not make sense to them, True. but neither is Mroz, Oi, or Rippon.. Evan's there in an ad for icenetwork only with B&A. Where would you see promotion of Johnny or anyone else for that matter other than in Lake Placid or Spokane.

Figure Skating is just not high selebrity news unless one wins an Oly.

The banner picture at the top of the USFSA main page always shows the current U.S. champions in the five disciplines (including synchro). The banner changes each year after nationals (and after the synchro championships) to show the new winners.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Where would you see promotion of Johnny or anyone else for that matter other than in Lake Placid or Spokane.
Figure Skating is just not high selebrity news unless one wins an Oly.

Or unless if you are the self-proclaimed "Pop King On Ice" and make a film about yourself :)
I haven't seen it but from the reviews I read it doesn't sound like anything US Skating would promote. Have they done anything to support the movie or to
use it in any of their advertising? If not, what could be their reasons for distancing themselves from a project like this? It is not every day a still active former US Champion has a documentary about his life in skating.

Last edited:
Where would you see promotion of Johnny or anyone else for that matter other than in Lake Placid or Spokane.

Just for fun I checked out the Spokane site to see which skaters are featured. None. :) Just a bunch of videos and links about how wonderful the city of Spokane is. :laugh:

On the other hand, if you go to the page where you can vote for your favorite for the Reader's Choice Award (Weir won last year)...

...he-e-e-r-r-e's Johnny!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090530&content_id=5044530&vkey=ice_pressrelease

Last edited:

pippa

Rinkside
Or unless if you are the self-proclaimed "Pop King On Ice" and make a film about yourself :)

Johnny did NOT "self-proclaim" himself a "Pop King on Ice", nor did he make a film about himself, LOL. The term is "pop star on ice", and he was called that by fashion designer Richie Rich of Heatherette. The filmmakers liked it and decided to call their film that - Johnny had nothing to do with choosing the title. They chose Johnny as the subject of their documentary after originally planning to do a film about all of figure skating but becoming frustrated because they couldn't get any of the other US skaters to be "real" in front of the cameras and not just give pat, USFS-approved statements in response to every question.

Janet, you keep talking about Johnny's "tasteless" and "inappropriate" behavior and saying he is a "flake" and a "jerk" and insisting that is why USFS has a problem with him. For goodness' sake, in any other sport Johnny's behavior would be considered so mild as to be not even worth commenting on. He isn't storming into the stands and brawling with fans or running dogfighting rings or getting arrested for carrying illegal weapons or drunk driving, you know - all he dared to do was speak a few words that were not pre-written for him by the USFS publicity team (really, how many male skaters have to tell the exact same story about how they REALLY wanted to be hockey players and are SO embarrassed about all the sequins in figure skating and hope nobody thinks they're gay because all they want is to bring masculinity to figure skating ! before people figure out how pre-packaged that sounds?).

God forbid USFS ever had to deal with a fraction of what other sports deal with as far as their athlete's behavior - for all of their insistence that they want figure skating to be seen like other sports are, they are still stuck in a 1950s, outdated mindset when it comes to wanting all of their skaters to fit a single, bland mold.

Last edited: