Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Should Weir skip the GP this year?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Weir also seems to have a general tendency not to do all his jumps in the freeskate, what ever the competition may be.
    So true.

Medalist
    I wonder if Johnny's inability to do all of the jumps in his long program is related to his poor diet; maybe he just lacks the energy? It seems to me that a nutritious diet with daily protein would help him a lot.

As for the idea that USFS doesn't like him, I think that comes directly from certain things they have done, such as leaving Johnny off both the web site and printed materials for Nationals 2007 while prominently displaying Evan and all of the other top US skaters in large photos on both, even though Johnny was then the three-time reigning champion. Or the kind of negative way they report Johnny's successes on their official website compared to the way they report on Evan or other skaters - for example, when Evan won his bronze medals at Worlds, they trumpeted it in excited terms describing what a triumph it was, but when Johnny won his World bronze, they were considerably more subdued and even negative about his win, remarking that he didn't skate his best (which may have been true, but neither did Lysacek when he got bronze).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pippa View Post
    As for the idea that USFS doesn't like him, I think that comes directly from certain things they have done, such as leaving Johnny off both the web site and printed materials for Nationals 2007 while prominently displaying Evan and all of the other top US skaters in large photos on both, even though Johnny was then the three-time reigning champion. Or the kind of negative way they report Johnny's successes on their official website compared to the way they report on Evan or other skaters - for example, when Evan won his bronze medals at Worlds, they trumpeted it in excited terms describing what a triumph it was, but when Johnny won his World bronze, they were considerably more subdued and even negative about his win, remarking that he didn't skate his best (which may have been true, but neither did Lysacek when he got bronze).
    USFS has formed icenetwork as a joint venture with MLB and it is the main repository of US skating news. Johnny's bronze medal was reported in detail on IN, not on the USFSA site, which by that time was not the site that posted competition reports. Skating magazine also did a lengthy cover story on JW after his bronze medal win. IN does not downplay JW.

Custom Title
    Weir also seems to have a general tendency not to do all his jumps in the freeskate, what ever the competition may be.
    Yes, EL fans should appreciate for Johnny about it, therefore EL could get the title in 2008 Nationals. .
    Last edited by dancingqueen; 05-30-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    USFS has formed icenetwork as a joint venture with MLB and it is the main repository of US skating news. Johnny's bronze medal was reported in detail on IN, not on the USFSA site, which by that time was not the site that posted competition reports. Skating magazine also did a lengthy cover story on JW after his bronze medal win. IN does not downplay JW.
    You are correct that icenetwork does not downplay Johnny, but you are incorrect that the USFS official site did not report on Worlds and Johnny's bronze medal there. The USFS official site did indeed have articles about both Johnny's and Evan's bronze medals at Worlds in their respective years, and there is no question that they were covered very differently.

Here is how the USFS official site reported Lysacek's bronze medal at 2006 Worlds:

Glorious and Surprising Finish for Lysacek at World Championships

In a scenario reminiscent of the Olympic Winter Games, Lysacek saved his best performance for last, but this time the ending was different. Skating in the penultimate group, the reigning U.S. silver medalist reeled off seven clean triples, including a quad toe (two-footed)-triple toe combination, and gave "Carmen" all the justice it deserved. One by one his competitors went down without beating his score. He won the bronze medal behind gold medalist Stephane Lambiel of Switzerland and silver medalist Brian Joubert of France. -USFS Website Home Page, March 23, 2006

Here is how the same site reported Johnny's bronze medal at 2008 Worlds:

Weir Wins Bronze Medal at World Championships

Johnny Weir wasn't at his best in Saturday's men's free skate, but he did enough to earn the bronze medal at the 2008 World Figure Skating Championships in Gothenburg, Sweden. -USFS Website Home Page, March 22, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by pippa View Post
    You are correct that icenetwork does not downplay Johnny, but you are incorrect that the USFS official site did not report on Worlds and Johnny's bronze medal there. The USFS official site did indeed have articles about both Johnny's and Evan's bronze medals at Worlds in their respective years, and there is no question that they were covered very differently.
    Differently perhaps - but also accurately.
    As stated earlier - by 2008, USFS may have been reducing it's coverage/articles of competitions.
    And I don't see this as any type of knock against Weir. In fact, the articles you posted said Evan needed the skate of his career just to get third - while noting that Johnny, far from his best was still good enough for third.
    How is that reporting a knock against Weir?

Custom Title
    I wouldn't call those news blurbs on USFS' home page "full articles" -- just quick summaries written by whoever was managing the USFS site at the time. I think you're reading too much into them... just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I wouldn't call those news blurbs on USFS' home page "full articles" -- just quick summaries written by whoever was managing the USFS site at the time. I think you're reading too much into them... just my humble opinion.

I don’t think it has anything to do with reading into them, I think it has more to do with reading what was actually written.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPhoenix View Post
    I don’t think it has anything to do with reading into them, I think it has more to do with reading what was actually written.

From one perspective what was written makes it sound like Evan was lucky to have had the skate of his life. Anything less and he wouldn't have medaled. The other points out that even on an off evening Weir's talent carried him to a medal.
    Actually the reports seem to be truthful - and accurately reflect how they skated.
    So where is the bias? Perhaps there is a little bit towards Evan.

Custom Title
    He usually does all of the required jumps, but his problem is that he doesn't always add a third combo. That's cost him a few times now, so I hope he and his team are working on a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    From one perspective what was written makes it sound like Evan was lucky to have had the skate of his life. Anything less and he wouldn't have medaled. The other points out that even on an off evening Weir's talent carried him to a medal.
    Actually the reports seem to be truthful - and accurately reflect how they skated.
    So where is the bias? Perhaps there is a little bit towards Evan.

Oh sure, it couldn’t possibly be biased. Come on, people !

I said reading what was actually written.

which was the following :

Lysacek

Glorious and Surprising Finish for Lysacek

Lysacek saved his best performance for last

U.S. silver medalist reeled off seven clean triples

and gave "Carmen" all the justice it deserved

One by one his competitors went down without beating his score

won the bronze medal

Weir

Weir Wins Bronze Medal

Johnny Weir wasn't at his best in Saturday's men's free skate,

did enough to earn the bronze medal

What could possibly be biased about that ?

It couldn't be more crystal clear.

Custom Title
    In his free skate at Nationals (09), he did three combination jumps, but no quad was planned because of his health issue, he made mistakes in one of his 3A and other parts, but what I saw is he started to do three combo, finally. And I see this he will bring next season. The fact he attempted three combo jumps in the condition he was in, I can only imagine what he will do when he is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPhoenix View Post
    Oh sure, it couldn’t possibly be biased. Come on, people !
    I said reading what was actually written.
    which was the following :
    Lysacek
    Glorious and Surprising Finish for Lysacek
    Lysacek saved his best performance for last
    U.S. silver medalist reeled off seven clean triples
    and gave "Carmen" all the justice it deserved
    One by one his competitors went down without beating his score
    won the bronze medal

Weir
    Weir Wins Bronze Medal
    Johnny Weir wasn't at his best in Saturday's men's free skate,
    did enough to earn the bronze medal
    What could possibly be biased about that ?
    It couldn't be more crystal clear.
    I agree with you that the reporting was extremely accurate. One skated up to and possibly exceeded his potential. The other skater have a lacklustre performance nowhere near his potential.
    I believe that is what happened and don't see bias, only the truth. Why should any reporter feel obligated to make up facts and stretch the truth about Weir's skating that night. Glad he won - but he did not exactly set the arena on fire.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-30-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Custom Title
    Lysacek Captures the Bronze at [2006] World Championships
    By Laura Fawcett: http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=33541

Movement at the Top in Men's Short Program at [2006] Worlds
    by Laura Fawcett: http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=33494

Weir handles pressure, wins bronze medal [2008 Worlds]
    American proves that he's tough enough
    By Lynn Rutherford:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Johnny be good: Weir in medal contention [2008 Worlds SP]
    Will outspoken skater be U.S. Figure Skating's savior in Gothenburg?
    By Lynn Rutherford:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    don't see bias, only the truth.
    You're free to believe whatever you want to believe

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast