Should Weir skip the GP this year? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Should Weir skip the GP this year?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I suppose, but if Johnny wants to beat the competition in Vancouver, he might as well get some practice beating them in the Grand Prix .

Yes, that is a good strategy. I remember that in years before the Nagano Olympics Ilia Kulik very often competed against Stojko in GP events. Also in 1997 they both were in Skate Canada (Stojko won) and GP final, which Kulik won.

ballerynna

Rinkside
Part of me wants Johnny not to peak so early in the season, but with the competition he's facing in his GPs (and of course later on in the season), he needs to show he can beat them.

Wonder how much a trip to Japan would cost from the Philippines? Maybe I can convince my office that they need to cover a skating event...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Part of me wants Johnny not to peak so early in the season, but with the competition he's facing in his GPs (and of course later on in the season), he needs to show he can beat them.

yeah, beating them early is all very satisfying, but by March 2010 nobody will remember or care who won Cup of Russia. An Olympic Medal is remembered a lot more than a few GP victories which have already been claimed.

ballerynna

Rinkside
yeah, beating them early is all very satisfying, but by March 2010 nobody will remember or care who won Cup of Russia. An Olympic Medal is remembered a lot more than a few GP victories which have already been claimed.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of at least showing that he shouldn't be completely written off, something like that. But yes, in the long run, it's the Worlds and even more so the Olympic medal that is remembered more