US Men's Olympic Team | Golden Skate

US Men's Olympic Team

janetfan

Match Penalty
With all the discussion about Sasha's return and which two US ladies will be in Vancouver I was wondering about the US Men. Yes, it is still too early - but assuming the guys are basically healthy which three do you think will be chosen for Vancouver? Will it be the top three finishers at Nationals? Will a strong GP season help a veteran like Jeremy or Johnny if they finish 4th at Nationals?
USA may not have the next OGM winner - but it is a fairly deep team this year with a strong chance to make it onto the Olympic podium.

It is safe enough to predict Evan, Jeremy and Johnny. But what about some of the others? Is Mroz for real? Did his progress have anything to do with Jeremy switching coaches? And what about Rippon? Is he ready to challenge for a spot on Team USA?
My feeling is that Evan will be on the team. And either Jeremy or Johnny but maybe not both of them. I see a strong possibilty for the third skater to be one of the younger ones - maybe Mroz, Rippon or another young skater.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
IMO, as world champ Evan definitely has a spot filled in for himself. The other 2 spots are more tricky to choose.

One of the spots could (and probably will) go to Johnny Weir, after all the 09-10 season will most likely be his last and it'd be great for him to finish up his career with a good olympic performance. However, this completely depends on what Johnny Weir will show up to nationals. Will it be the Weir from the 2008 nationals, or the Weir from the 2009 nationals? I guess we'll have to see for ourselves.

Another one of the spots could go to Jeremy Abbott, but this season he's shown how inconsistent he can be performance-wise (1st at COC, 4th at COR, 1st at GPF, 1st at nationals, 5th at 4CC, and 11th at worlds). When Abbott is on he's practically unbeatable though, so maybe it's a good idea to put him on the team. Hopefully his new coach can help him gain his confidence back.

A very possible spoiler could be Brandon Mroz. It's said that he's been working on a 4-3 combination (which is true considering I've seen a video on youtube of him practicing it). With a little more consistency Brandon can really soar above the others technically, but he really needs to work on his presentation and connection with the audience.

And then there's Adam Rippon, the 07-08 and 08-09 junior world champ. Rippon has just made a coaching change last season to Brian Orser, which is looking good for him considering his 2009 junior world score would've had him 6th in the FS and 7th overall, above every US man there aside from Evan. The only thing is that he's only 19, so he has plenty of time to get to the olympics. However, if this kid can rise to the occasion he'll probably end up on the team.

Last but not least is Ryan Bradley. Over the past couple of years he's had some great performances at nationals, enough to earn him a silver and pewter medal. I'm pretty sure that next season will be his last, so it'd be great if he made the team.

IMO, the team should be (depending on GP results):
1. Evan Lysacek
2. Johnny Weir
3. Adam Rippon or Jeremy Abbott

Alicja

On the Ice
my personal feeling is that the Olympic team will be Evan, one of the youngesters(Mroz, Rippon, or maybe even Carriere) and either Weir or Abbott, both of the latter decided on who rises to the occasion.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I believe that it will be Evan and Johnny and whoever, hopefully Jeremy. History proved that Evan and Johnny are still the only two who could get higher ranks in international competitions than any other US men. Other US men were either not been recognized in the same way as in US Nationals as in international stage, or completely unreliable in the international competitions.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for your analysis HCO. I also picked Evan, because he finished up last season so strong.
About Weir, last season or not, he needs to skate well enough to earn a spot. I think he will give it his best shot including preparations leading into Natls.
Jeremy for me is a puzzle. Sometimes brilliant , othertimes so unreliable. His Worlds was a big disappointment and even though many here say "WTT doesn't count" I refer to it only to mention it was another very sub par Intl performance from Jeremy.
I don't know Mroz well enough but he most likely will improve for next season and if he skates so well again at Nats it could be big trouble for Johnny and Jeremy. Mroz also gave us a good skate at his first Worlds last season.
I hope Rippon is ready. I don't care about his age and in fact like a youngster on the team. Sometimes it is the younger skaters who feel less pressure - and of course it would be good experience for the run he will undoubtably make for 2014.

janetfan

Match Penalty
If Lysacek medals, I think it will be the top three at Nationals.

If Lysacek doesn't medal, I think it will be the top two plus Evan.

Yes, that seems a very likely scenario mm.
But what if Evan has another so-so GP season and then has a poor Natls, maybe finishing 4-6 or even 5-7?
Would you still say top two and add Evan?

jennylovskt

Medalist
I hope that if Johnny doesn't feel well this time, skip the Nationals and apply for the petition to go to the Olympics.;)

In fact, I think USFSA should have realized that how stupid it was to not let Johnny go to the World this year.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I hope that if Johnny doesn't feel well this time, skip the Nationals and apply for the petition to go to the Olympics.;)

In fact, I think USFSA should have realized that how stupid it was to not let Johnny go to the World this year.

Johnny should have done that last season - and he might have been added.
This season it is different as Johnny is not coming in as a current World medalist or even a member of last season's Natl team.
I don't know if he is likely to be on the receiving end of any favors from US skating. But, if he has a brilliant GP season and then is injured at Natls - who knows what will happen. If the other skaters don't look so good then adding Johnny could be the logical choice.
As to last season - I don't think Jonny would have beaten Mroz 's finish at Worlds unless he was fully recovered and had a strong skate.

Wicked

Final Flight
I don't see either Johnny or Evan failing to make that podium. At least, I hope not! I think that third spot goes to Mroz or Abbott.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Yes, that seems a very likely scenario mm.
But what if Evan has another so-so GP season and then has a poor Natls, maybe finishing 4-6 or even 5-7?

I think Evan could finish 10th and he'd still be selected - has there ever been a situation in history where the reigning world champion doesn't get to go to the Olympics other than for injury/exceptional circumstances?

Ant

seniorita

Record Breaker
As i see it from the other side of the ocean, they will send Evan no matter what, have they ever sent the reigning world champion watching Olympics from his tv?:laugh:

If they send Evan- Abott then i expect they send also Johnny third if he doesnt do well in nationals. I would not send Mroz instead of Johhny, does he score better internationally even with 4-3?Good boy but personally he bores me a little. Judges are very familiar with Johnny and he scores high. And it is Johnny!!! I refuse to watch Olympics without him.
If they send Evan-Johnny then maybe they will send Mroz instead of Abbot depending on their results.
If they ask me I would send Evan - Johnny and Rippon (he is not that young), but I dont think it is the most possible.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think Evan could finish 10th and he'd still be selected - has there ever been a situation in history where the reigning world champion doesn't get to go to the Olympics other than for injury/exceptional circumstances?

Ant

:laugh::laugh::laugh:you steal my lines????:unsure:

gkelly

Record Breaker

Ant

I don't know.

Kurt Browning (reigning 1993 world champion) placed 4th in the short program at 1994 Canadians. CFSA officials were interviewed on the broadcast saying that if he stayed 4th after the long program he would not be sent to the Olympics, that they would follow the nationals placement. As it happened he did pull up to 2nd after the long program, so it was a moot point.

Boo-o-o-oo. :laugh: Who does he think he is, Michelle? :laugh:

Janetfan said:

Well, in these threads I am not so much giving my opionion about what I think would be best as, rather, trying to read the minds of the USFSA brain trust.

I think there are three competing ideas about what the USFSA might think is most imprtant.

(a) The unwritten Olympic team selection rule: If you have the World Champion, send him! (duh)

(b) The integrity of the United States Championships. This is the USFSA's top event (and the only figure skating event that has much play or television coverage in the U.S.). The USFSA does not want to downgrade its own competition to the status of, oh well, that doesn't count.

(c) The one-shot wonder versus the proven competitor. In the latest revision of the Olympic selection rules the point is made quite explicitly that the International Committee of the USFSA regards a steady pattern of excellent international results to be a better predictor of Olympic success than one lucky skate-of-a-lifetime.

I am sure the USFSA is hoping that everything will fall into place so that they don't have to make any tough choices.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker

I'm not sure that would really get him anywhere unless he makes the GPF and/or medals.

In the ranking list (by importance) of competitions he'd have

1. Nationals (not attending)
2. GPF (depends on his season)
3. Worlds (didn't attend)
4. 4CC (didn't attend)

So he'd find himself in the same position as Sasha (though possibly better if he gets a second assignment and makes the final.

Asking fora bye to this worlds just gone would have been fine, but i don'[t think he'd get one to the Olympics if he didn't attend nationals this coming season.

Ant

nylynnr

On the Ice
If Lysacek medals, I think it will be the top three at Nationals.

If Lysacek doesn't medal, I think it will be the top two plus Evan.

Agree 100%.

Just my opinion, but all the talk of changed rules, NBC getting involved, does the IOC have input, who is doing what to whom, what does the ISU think, are we all being polite to each other, etc. is unnecessary unless folks here just enjoy it, which of course is fine. Barring an extraordinary circumstance -- i.e., Evan injured and can't compete at nationals; Tanith and Ben or Charlie and Meryl injured and can't compete; a U.S. girl winning GPF injured and can't compete -- the top three male finishers at nationals; the top two ladies; the top three dance; and top two pairs, are going to Vancouver.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Purely hypothetically, the only way I can see Weir or anyone else except perhaps Lysacek getting named to the Olympic team without placing at Nationals would be a scenario like the following:

wins both GP events and medals at the final

wins the short program at Nationals convincingly

withdraws from the long program for a fluke reason that is obviously not going to continue to be a factor a month later

antmanb

Record Breaker
I don't know.

Kurt Browning (reigning 1993 world champion) placed 4th in the short program at 1994 Canadians. CFSA officials were interviewed on the broadcast saying that if he stayed 4th after the long program he would not be sent to the Olympics, that they would follow the nationals placement. As it happened he did pull up to 2nd after the long program, so it was a moot point.

Do you think they really wouldn't have sent him?

It would seem pretty bizarre to have the world champion missing because of freak bad performance (or two) in a national championship.

But that's just me! We don't have that problem with our Nationals (though we do have all manner of politics involved in who gets to go to the big championships).

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Purely hypothetically, the only way I can see Weir or anyone else except perhaps Lysacek getting named to the Olympic team without placing at Nationals would be a scenario like the following:

wins both GP events and medals at the final

wins the short program at Nationals convincingly

withdraws from the long program for a fluke reason that is obviously not going to continue to be a factor a month later

I agree with all of the above but I would also add that if Evan made a mistake in short and found himself 4th or 5th and he "withdrew" citing a minor injury that would be healed by the Olympics, that would probably do the trick too.

Ant