US Men's Olympic Team | Page 3 | Golden Skate

US Men's Olympic Team

janetfan

Match Penalty
I dont think Plushy and Takahashi and their quads would make a difference, Does a clean Mroz with quad score higher than a clean Johnny?

Um - the way I see it Johnny is sort of in Sasha territiory - in that he has not really gotten better in the past few seasons. I think he can get back to 08 level but not better than that. Same for Sasha coming back better than 2006.
Mroz is a young skater nowhere near his peak potential yet. He and Rippon both may be dramatically better than last season. If that is the case, a Mroz hitting clean quad /triple combo and other big jumps has a real good chance to beat Johnny. But of course it all depends how they both skate at Natls.
With Jeremy moving onto a new coach Mroz may get more attention and just being a year older should help his presentaion/artistry. In the case of Johnny or Sasha , being another year older is not necessarily a plus.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The men's team is tough to pick. It depends on which Jeremy shows up at the Grand Prix. And which Johnny.

Wicked

Final Flight
Lambiel is still in the top 24 of the world standing placements, so he could qualify that way.

I don't believe he has any intention of doing so, however.
Stéphane announced today on his website that he is working on choreography for a new exhibition program with his longtime choreographer, Salomé Brunner. I don't think he'll be back.

Binthere

On the Ice
Confidence versus Pressure.
Evan will approach the season with the confidence of being the World Champion. I doubt the 'pressure' will get to him until maybe Worlds/Olympics?

I think some of the younger generation can approach it with the 'got nothing to lose' attitude that can make for some outrageous performances.

In the end though, with a committee deciding, short of major meltdowns from either Johnny or Jeremy, I see it as Evan, Johnny, Jeremy.

Post Olympic Worlds are always "pot luck" so would expect it to be a great and suitable consolation prize for the "next generation" like Rippon and Mroz to stake their claim to the next four years, as long as 2 of the men can add up to 13 points for 3 slots at Worlds in 2011

psycho

On the Ice
1. Must-avoid-TAT's-choreo- Evan
2. Must-avoid-Korean-yogurt-Johnny
3. Rippon/Bradley/Abbott/Carriere (fight it out boys) ;)

merrybari

Final Flight
But she`d touched him and he turned into `gold` at the Wolds, I personally wish she would do it again for him, this time for the Olys!:bow:

I agree she brought some great new dimensions to Evan's skating, but I don't give her credit for turning him into gold. It was Lori he went to after Nationals and 4Cs, not TT.

I'd rather see him forge ahead with her and Frank, using what TT gave him as foundation upon which to build for the Olympics!

janetfan

Match Penalty
But she`d touched him and he turned into `gold` at the Wolds, I personally wish she would do it again for him, this time for the Olys!:bow:

Yes, having witnessed Evan's "Kirov" arms, the world is crying out for more!
And don't forget Mao's magnificent "deer caught in the headlights" act at Worlds.
And people say Mao is not dramatic enough. ;)

jennylovskt

Medalist
As many have predicted, I think Evan could not fully express TAT's ideas. So the programs he has skated last season were modified version, not really TAT's work. I agree that Lori Nichol is a better choice for Evan. No matter who's going to be his choreographer, don't expect him losing his signature arm flailing.;)

I see Mroz as the future US Champion after Evan and Johnny retire. He has powerful jumps, and impressive artistic abilities. The biggest question is if he is consistant?

elanna

Rinkside
Yes, having witnessed Evan's "Kirov" arms, the world is crying out for more!
And don't forget Mao's magnificent "deer caught in the headlights" act at Worlds.
And people say Mao is not dramatic enough. ;)

:rofl::agree:

I give Tatyana credit for helping Evan to sense his own body, get an awareness of the meaning of every movement he does on ice, get rid of frantic arm flailing, feel&try to live the music through the movements; perfect choice of music for Evan`s SP&LP.
I do hope Evan would continue working in this direction under Tatyana`s/Lori Nichol`s or somebody else`s tutelage, it does not matter!:bow:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I see Mroz as the future US Champion after Evan and Johnny retire. He has powerful jumps, and impressive artistic abilities. The biggest question is if he is consistant?
I know that several people call Mroz artistic. But somehow I am confused by that. Especially since most call Joubert "Bob-the-Builder"-on ice - but Mroz is somehow artistic? Right now there is exactly one difference between Mroz and Joubert in my opinion: Joubert has charisma.

I actually have nothing against Mroz, I think figure skating needs the Weirs, the Lambiels, the Jouberts and the KVDPs on this World. It's just strange that Joubert seems to be one of the most hated and most mocked people on NA-boards these days, and most people justify their dislike because he "is not artistic", "no choreography", "all about the Quad", "bad spins" etc. But Mroz, who skates similar to Joubert, just a lot slower and with less charisma - is the darling. Makes me think that Joubert would have been be a lot more adored if he had skated for Canada or the US.

jennylovskt

Medalist
^^Actually, I am about to call Joubert artistic after seeing his beautiful exhibition program at 2009 World.;) I think it was justified to say that Brian Joubert's competition programs, such as Matrix and 007, were lack of artistry and hard to swallow. But I think his this year's SP is much more artistic, I have found a couple of charming movements in it (I don't like his opening movement. :biggrin: So that was not what I was talking about.) and I liked his quick changing directions and complicate foot works.

The people who hated and mocked Brian Joubert the most probably have never praised for Brandon Mroz. I like the combination of hard jumps and artistry, not just the artistry. And I think people who have quad jumps along with some artistry will more than likely win than the artistic skaters. Charisma needs life experience to fully develope. We don't know yet what is Mroz's charisma.

To me, at least, there is nothing to do with the nationalities or regions. The skaters I like the most are in Europe.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
It's just strange that Joubert seems to be one of the most hated and most mocked people on NA-boards these days, and most people justify their dislike because he "is not artistic", "no choreography", "all about the Quad", "bad spins" etc.
i m having a déjà vu.:unsure:who?

oh no, joubert pleaaaaseeee, dont steal plushy's thunder...... it's all he 's got here.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think that Joubet could be artistic he wanted to. I agree that some aof his exhibitions were surprisingly moving. I think that he wants to focus more on the jumps in competition because he feels that is how he can win. It is hard to land 2 quads and be artistic at the same time.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Quote:
It's just strange that Joubert seems to be one of the most hated and most mocked people on NA-boards these days, and most people justify their dislike because he "is not artistic", "no choreography", "all about the Quad", "bad spins" etc.

i m having a déjà vu.:unsure:who?

oh no, joubert pleaaaaseeee, dont steal plushy's thunder...... it's all he 's got here.

I have to say that people who think Evgeni Plushenko "is not artistic", "no choreography", "all about the Quad", "bad spins" etc, must have forgotten or did not know the real Plushenko. Can't wait for him to come back and show them the real fire on ice.:rock:

Lightspear

Rinkside
Even though the upcoming GP final is listed second and last year's Worlds third, still, the criteria are "placement and strength of field."

Worlds has the strongest field of any event on the calendar, and first is not too shabby a placement.

But maybe not. If Plushenko, Lambiel and Takahashi all come back at full strength and make the GP final, and Steven Carriere beats them all...

Could happen. We now know that pigs can fly!

janetfan

Match Penalty
I have to say that people who think Evgeni Plushenko "is not artistic", "no choreography", "all about the Quad", "bad spins" etc, must have forgotten or did not know the real Plushenko. Can't wait for him to come back and show them the real fire on ice.:rock:

For me Plushy is the greatest and most "Russian" of all skaters.
I still think he has more talent and superior technique to any skater I ever saw.
True, he does not offer the mock histrionics that his chief rival used to dish out. He does not look up at the celing with a fake dramatic look of agony on his face - nor does he present himself as an unconvincing heroic figure.
He does offer a great line, better than the others, with a natural grace and a most explosive jumping technique. He commands the ice and he doesn't pretend to be anything other than what he is - a truly great skater.

Right now I think Evan has clearly established himself as the best American skater. I hope his new programs will play to his strengths and not try and make him what he isn't and will never be.

Last edited: