Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: US Men's Olympic Team

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    I hope that if Johnny doesn't feel well this time, skip the Nationals and apply for the petition to go to the Olympics.

In fact, I think USFSA should have realized that how stupid it was to not let Johnny go to the World this year.
    I'm not sure that would really get him anywhere unless he makes the GPF and/or medals.

In the ranking list (by importance) of competitions he'd have

1. Nationals (not attending)
    2. GPF (depends on his season)
    3. Worlds (didn't attend)
    4. 4CC (didn't attend)

So he'd find himself in the same position as Sasha (though possibly better if he gets a second assignment and makes the final.

Asking fora bye to this worlds just gone would have been fine, but i don'[t think he'd get one to the Olympics if he didn't attend nationals this coming season.

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    If Lysacek medals, I think it will be the top three at Nationals.

If Lysacek doesn't medal, I think it will be the top two plus Evan.

Agree 100%.

Just my opinion, but all the talk of changed rules, NBC getting involved, does the IOC have input, who is doing what to whom, what does the ISU think, are we all being polite to each other, etc. is unnecessary unless folks here just enjoy it, which of course is fine. Barring an extraordinary circumstance -- i.e., Evan injured and can't compete at nationals; Tanith and Ben or Charlie and Meryl injured and can't compete; a U.S. girl winning GPF injured and can't compete -- the top three male finishers at nationals; the top two ladies; the top three dance; and top two pairs, are going to Vancouver.

Custom Title
    Purely hypothetically, the only way I can see Weir or anyone else except perhaps Lysacek getting named to the Olympic team without placing at Nationals would be a scenario like the following:

wins both GP events and medals at the final

wins the short program at Nationals convincingly

withdraws from the long program for a fluke reason that is obviously not going to continue to be a factor a month later

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I don't know.

Kurt Browning (reigning 1993 world champion) placed 4th in the short program at 1994 Canadians. CFSA officials were interviewed on the broadcast saying that if he stayed 4th after the long program he would not be sent to the Olympics, that they would follow the nationals placement. As it happened he did pull up to 2nd after the long program, so it was a moot point.
    Do you think they really wouldn't have sent him?

It would seem pretty bizarre to have the world champion missing because of freak bad performance (or two) in a national championship.

But that's just me! We don't have that problem with our Nationals (though we do have all manner of politics involved in who gets to go to the big championships).

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Purely hypothetically, the only way I can see Weir or anyone else except perhaps Lysacek getting named to the Olympic team without placing at Nationals would be a scenario like the following:

wins both GP events and medals at the final

wins the short program at Nationals convincingly

withdraws from the long program for a fluke reason that is obviously not going to continue to be a factor a month later
    I agree with all of the above but I would also add that if Evan made a mistake in short and found himself 4th or 5th and he "withdrew" citing a minor injury that would be healed by the Olympics, that would probably do the trick too.

Ant

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    oh no, I want Evan in Olympics..otherwise Plushy's flail arms will have no competition...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    This season it is different as Johnny is not coming in as a current World medalist or even a member of last season's Natl team.
    I don't know if he is likely to be on the receiving end of any favors from US skating. But, if he has a brilliant GP season and then is injured at Natls - who knows what will happen. If the other skaters don't look so good then adding Johnny could be the logical choice.
    I think Johnny will have a strong GP season. What else does he have? He stayed in 4 more years just to prove that he could and to try one more time at the Olympics. Bradley was not and probably will not be a favorite in international stage. Mroz has not yet established himself outside of US. Abbott and Rippon were too unreliable. I see Johnny as a much better and more reasonable choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    He stayed in 4 more years just to prove that he could and to try one more time at the Olympics.
    Well, I think he has just that. A chance to prove that he belongs on the Olympic team.

So does everyone else.

why johhny is written off and has to prove himself again?I mean in fans mind, not the team. Mroz and Abott had just one good international season, Johnny is around much longer. He just had a bad half season, he did very well at grand prix!

I wonder if evan was a lock for the team had he not been a medalist of worlds.I always thought Johnny is better skater, I still do.

[. Mroz has not yet established himself outside of US. Abbott and Rippon were too unreliable. I see Johnny as a much better and more reasonable choice.[/QUOTE]

I agree Mroz is not fully established but that is only coz he is young. His first Worlds were more than acceptable. Maybe GP's will be very important for him this season. Still, if he starts dropping quadx3 bombs it will be hard to ignore him and silly too..
    I don't really know enough about Rippon - have only seen him skate once when he won Jr Title. As a repeat Jr Champion - how is he "unreliable." ?
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-27-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    why johhny is written off and has to prove himself again?I mean in fans mind, not the team. Mroz and Abott had just one good international season, Johnny is around much longer. He just had a bad half season, he did very well at grand prix!

I wonder if evan was a lock for the team had he not been a medalist of worlds.I always thought Johnny is better skater, I still do.

Many fans think Johnny is the better skater. Problem is Evan has been getting better results for the past few years (it's those beautiful "Kirov" arms). US Skating in under no obligation to satisfy Johnny's fans but to select the team they feel will represent us best at Olympics.
    I hope Johnny skates his best at Natls. If that is not good enough to finish 1-2-3 then he should watch Olympics on TV like rest of us.

To me, this discussion about all the fine things Johnny Weir did in the past is a cautionary tale. That was then, the 2009-2010 season is now.

Same with the U.S. ladies. If I were Caroline or Rachael or Mirai I would not allow myself to be distracted by speculation about Sochi in 2014. Everything will be different then. Right now! is your chance to make the Olympic team. You better seize the day.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post

I don't think anyone is writing Johny off (i personally think he will be in the top 3 at nationals and will get his ticket to the Olympics), but I think since he had a bad showing at the last nationals then it seems like more of a possibilty so people are debating - what if what happened in 2008 happens in 2009. Personally i don't think what happened in 2008 will happen in 2009 but the only way to give himself the best shot at going Johnny has to get a second GP invitation (which surely he will?), make the fina, preferably medal and then medal at nationals.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    To me, this discussion about all the fine things Johnny Weir did in the past is a cautionary tale. That was then, the 2009-2010 season is now.

Same with the U.S. ladies. If I were Caroline or Rachael or Mirai I would not allow myself to be distracted by speculation about Sochi in 2014. Everything will be different then. Right now! is your chance to make the Olympic team. You better seize the day.

Yes, i agree with you on this.
    I also think Johnny has a good chance to skate his way onto the team and I suspect it might be at Jeremy's expense rather than Mroz or Rippon.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-27-2009 at 12:43 PM.

I know but it feels like the way we would react if he had retired and is coming back after years. If he is not having a disastrous grand prix or has not lost his form, I would not keep him home if he is not 1-3 at nationals next year. Abott wasn't exactly representing at worlds also.
    (i personally think he will be in the top 3 at nationals and will get his ticket to the Olympics)
    hm, if lysacek is 4th and johnny 3rd in nationals, they will send evan of course and then? will they skip one of the first two to send Johnny?
    Last edited by seniorita; 05-27-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast