Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: US Men's Olympic Team

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I think it is safe to say the olympic team will be the top three at natioanals unless Evan is injured and withdraws. They will certainly give him a bye. Johnny I think will have to medal, unless somebody lands on the podium who is a real newcomer (mroz not icluded) with no interantional experince and then Johnny will take his spot. But personally I don't see much drama.

olympic team:

Evan
    Johnny
    Jeremey/Mroz

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    hm, if lysacek is 4th and johnny 3rd in nationals, they will send evan of course and then? will they skip one of the first two to send Johnny?
    If that happens then in theory they will look to the results of the GPF frst, then look to worlds. It all depends on what's happened at the GPF, if e.g. Jonny and Evan have qualified and.or medalled and the gold and silver from nationals haven't made it to the GPF then I suspect that the silver medalist at nationals would be sacrificed for Evan.

But it's all just guesswork for now, my hope is that johnny wins his two GPs, the GPF and nationals.

Ant

I know but it feels like the way we would react if he had retired and is coming back after years. If he is not having a disastrous grand prix or has not lost his form, I would not keep him home if he is not 1-3 at nationals next year. Abott wasn't exactly representing at worlds also.

hm, if lysacek is 4th and johnny 3rd in nationals, they will send evan of course and then? will they skip one of the first two to send Johnny?

That could be a touchy and difficult situation. I know of no rule that guarantees a bronze, silver or Gold medalist from previous year's worlds a place on the National team. Otherwise Johnny would have been added last year. It is easy to see how Evan will be given every consideration. But I don't get it. Johnny has not performed as well as Evan at Worlds and I would say he has been an underaciever at Worlds and Olympics. It is possible that they might want to give younger skaters a chance.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    But it's all just guesswork for now, my hope is that johnny wins his two GPs, the GPF and nationals.Ant
    I truly hope your crystal ball works pretty well on this one

I hate everybody I like is retiring, couldn't they skate for 30 years more?

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    If that happens then in theory they will look to the results of the GPF frst, then look to worlds.
    Even though the upcoming GP final is listed second and last year's Worlds third, still, the criteria are "placement and strength of field."

Worlds has the strongest field of any event on the calendar, and first is not too shabby a placement.

But maybe not. If Plushenko, Lambiel and Takahashi all come back at full strength and make the GP final, and Steven Carriere beats them all...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    But maybe not. If Plushenko, Lambiel and Takahashi all come back at full strength and make the GP final, and Steven Carriere beats them all...
    what? ok, yours (magic ball) needs a regular service!

and dont confuse me, only takahashi can have two grand prix and go to gpf, no?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I think it is safe to say the olympic team will be the top three at natioanals unless Evan is injured and withdraws. They will certainly give him a bye. Johnny I think will have to medal, unless somebody lands on the podium who is a real newcomer (mroz not icluded) with no interantional experince and then Johnny will take his spot. But personally I don't see much drama.

olympic team:

Evan
    Johnny
    Jeremey/Mroz

Perhaps you are right - if you are a Weir fan. But Jeremy has fans too and he is defending Natl champion. I am not so sure who Mroz could bump off the team if he skates well. And who is to say Rippon may not come in and skate well at Natls. Then it does get a bit sticky. If Evan seems to have a spot locked up - then the rest of the guys are skating for only two spots.
    I think if Plushy and Tashahaki are back strong that could change thinking. Quads could make it tougher for skaters like Johnny and Patirck, not to mention Evan.

I dont think Plushy and Takahashi and their quads would make the difference in judging who they will send, for those two skaters it is their whole package and where they would score again, if it was only about quads, many men land quads already, not only Joubert. Does a clean Mroz with quad score higher than a clean Johnny?
    defending national champion is not saying much considering johnny was defending worlds medalist and didnt send him to worlds.

...and dont confuse me, only takahashi can have two grand prix and go to gpf, no?!
    That question seems to be up in the air at the moment. The USFSA seems to be lobbying for permission for Sasha Cohen to be allowed to skate the full Grand Prix. I think both Plushenko and Lambiel (as a former world champion) could try to finagle their way around the rule about athletes returning from injuries "beyond their control." Michelle Kwan, too.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan
    I think if Plushy and Tashahaki are back strong that could change thinking. Quads could make it tougher for skaters like Johnny and Patirck, not to mention Evan.
    Tougher to medal at the Olympics, but not, I think, tougher to make their national teams.

All we can do is go with the best we have and see what the skate gods have in store for us.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That question seems to be up in the air at the moment. The USFSA seems to be lobbying for permission for Sasha Cohen to be allowed to skate the full Grand Prix. I think both Plushenko and Lambiel (as a former world champion) could try to finagle their way around the rule about athletes returning from injuries "beyond their control." Michelle Kwan, too.
    Lambiel is still in the top 24 of the world standing placements, so he could qualify that way.

I don't believe he has any intention of doing so, however.

I dont think Plushy and Takahashi and their quads would make a difference, Does a clean Mroz with quad score higher than a clean Johnny?

Um - the way I see it Johnny is sort of in Sasha territiory - in that he has not really gotten better in the past few seasons. I think he can get back to 08 level but not better than that. Same for Sasha coming back better than 2006.
    Mroz is a young skater nowhere near his peak potential yet. He and Rippon both may be dramatically better than last season. If that is the case, a Mroz hitting clean quad /triple combo and other big jumps has a real good chance to beat Johnny. But of course it all depends how they both skate at Natls.
    With Jeremy moving onto a new coach Mroz may get more attention and just being a year older should help his presentaion/artistry. In the case of Johnny or Sasha , being another year older is not necessarily a plus.

Custom Title
    The men's team is tough to pick. It depends on which Jeremy shows up at the Grand Prix. And which Johnny.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Lambiel is still in the top 24 of the world standing placements, so he could qualify that way.

I don't believe he has any intention of doing so, however.
    Stéphane announced today on his website that he is working on choreography for a new exhibition program with his longtime choreographer, Salomé Brunner. I don't think he'll be back.

Custom Title
    Confidence versus Pressure.
    Evan will approach the season with the confidence of being the World Champion. I doubt the 'pressure' will get to him until maybe Worlds/Olympics?

I think some of the younger generation can approach it with the 'got nothing to lose' attitude that can make for some outrageous performances.

In the end though, with a committee deciding, short of major meltdowns from either Johnny or Jeremy, I see it as Evan, Johnny, Jeremy.

Post Olympic Worlds are always "pot luck" so would expect it to be a great and suitable consolation prize for the "next generation" like Rippon and Mroz to stake their claim to the next four years, as long as 2 of the men can add up to 13 points for 3 slots at Worlds in 2011

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    As a repeat Jr Champion - how is he "unreliable." ?
    Seventh at the Senior Nationals.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast