US Men's Olympic Team | Page 7 | Golden Skate

US Men's Olympic Team

Medusa

Record Breaker
He's beaten every one of his international competitors at some point in his/their careers with the exception of Plushenko.
But isn't the same thing true for Johnny? Joubert - check (Olympics, Worlds 2005 come to my mind), Lambiel - check (twice at a Grand Prix in 2007, Worlds 2008), Lysacek - check (Nationals, CoC 2007), Takahashi - check (Worlds 2008), Buttle - check (GPs), Chan - check (Worlds 2008)...

I don't want to diminish Lysacek's accomplishments, but I don't think he is that much better than everyone else. And he also had his downs, off the podium in 2007 after medaling at Worlds 2005 and 2006, not on the podium at the Olympics.

He will go to the Olympics as the reigning World Champion, that is written in stone. But is he really the leading US-American man? I prefer to see it more open, Abbott and Weir have just as much potential and chances the coming season. Plus Rippon is coming from a very good experience at Junior Worlds and seems to be able to project his love for skating onto the ice.

janetfan

Match Penalty
But isn't the same thing true for Johnny? Joubert - check (Olympics, Worlds 2005 come to my mind), Lambiel - check (twice at a Grand Prix in 2007, Worlds 2008), Lysacek - check (Nationals, CoC 2007), Takahashi - check (Worlds 2008), Buttle - check (GPs), Chan - check (Worlds 2008)...

I don't want to diminish Lysacek's accomplishments, but I don't think he is that much better than everyone else. And he also had his downs, off the podium in 2007 after medaling at Worlds 2005 and 2006, not on the podium at the Olympics.

He will go to the Olympics as the reigning World Champion, that is written in stone. But is he really the leading US-American man? I prefer to see it more open, Abbott and Weir have just as much potential and chances the coming season. Plus Rippon is coming from a very good experience at Junior Worlds and seems to be able to project his love for skating onto the ice.

It is hard to disagree with your points Medusa. I do think Evan has shown a little more consistency than either Johnny or Jeremy and that is all that might separate him from them. But potential can be interpreted several ways. Johnny and Jeremy have both beaten Evan and they "potentially" still can. At Natls or at Olympics for that matter. But Johnny and Jeremy have been around the rink quite a few times now. Will they really be "new and improved" skaters next season - or is all we can hope for is to see some consistency and clean skates under pressure from them?
I look at Brandon and Adam when i am thinking about potential.They should and definitely can both be better next season - and not just consistent. Maybe I am wrong but I think Johnny and Jeremy will be trying to match a previous season's level as opposed to having improved much techically for next season.
If it weren't for Evan's WC title I agree that the three of them could be considered co-favoites for next season's US hopes. Maybe the three of them will go to Vancouver. But skating history shows that younger skaters can come in feeling less pressure and turn in a great performance. I think the potential is there for either Mroz or Rippon to knock one of the "co-favorites off the podium. And only Evan seems safe enough to survive an off-night at Nationals.