Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chan Starts Working on the Quad

Chan Starts Working on the Quad

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...4.html?cid=rss

Go Patrick! Sounds like he has a great plan and will be well prepared for this upcoming Olympic year.

Medalist
    At last! Very pleasant news!

Custom Title
    To me, it sounds like Johnny Weir's plan a few years ago. He left a huge back door open for his way out. If he just started to practice his quad jumps for the Olympic season, chances of having a solid quad in the program is not so great. I remember Alexei Yagudin's successful rate for quad jumps at practice was about 98%. That was result of years after years practice. I am not saying that it's impossible because Patrick might be an exceptionally talented young man. I have to wait and see. If he could indeed successfully add a quad in his LP, he will be very competitive internationally.

It's good to consider adding quad jumps in his program though since he has many competitive years ahead of him.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 05-30-2009 at 12:30 AM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Would it be better to add it in sp or lp?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I think LP as there's more room to make up points if it goes badly.

In the SP it's a miss on a required element that punishes heavily in reduced points and there aren't as many points in the short to begin with. Not much if any room for error.

i thought it would give him a great boost in marks if he landed one in sp, but you are right.

Custom Title
    If it's just one quad jump and just experimental, skaters usually add it into LP instead of SP. It needs more confidence and mileage for skaters to put quad in SP. Add quad in both LP and SP will be the best, of course. I don't think Patrick can do that at this stage.

I am afraid that Patrick will end up "having" a quad the same way that Weir and Lysacek "have a quad."

IMHO it would pay off better for him to work on a solid triple Axel.

I start to believe that in order to have a steady quad in seniors you need to have it from earlier years.
    yes but imagine..if he starts hitting quad on sp, he will score over 90!
    Last edited by seniorita; 05-29-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Like Oda and everybody else to whom the quad is new, he will most almost for sure only try it in the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...4.html?cid=rss

Go Patrick! Sounds like he has a great plan and will be well prepared for this upcoming Olympic year.
    I would not get that excited. With a clean skate he does not need it. I highly doubt he will be able to land it under olympic pressure in his home country after only really training it for 6 months? Sorry, odds are not in his favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post

I would not get that excited. With a clean skate he does not need it. I highly doubt he will be able to land it under olympic pressure in his home country after only really training it for 6 months? Sorry, odds are not in his favor.
    Well he managed to land all three of his triple axels in his pressure filled Worlds Short and Long Program after struggling with that jump for the entire year. I wouldn't count him (or his quad) out. He states it's easier for him than the triple axel.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I hope he can do it. Interesting he says the 3A gives him more trouble. Sometimes I think Patrick Chan is Stéphane Lambiel 2.0.

Custom Title
    I start to believe that in order to have a steady quad in seniors you need to have it from earlier years.
    I tend to believe that too.

Custom Title
    Chan's never trained a quad before? I thought he has, but has not put it in his programs.

Medalist
    To me, it is just wonderful that Patrick has, at last, started thinking about quad in earnest. He is only 18 (even old Plushenko is going to do quad), extremely talented, he needs this jump badly to start winning confidently, especially in Olympic season! I think the work on the quad may facilitate improvement his 3A technique, and the Olys will give him additional stimulus for successful work! I am sure he knows what he is doing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast