Chan Starts Working on the Quad | Golden Skate

Chan Starts Working on the Quad

jennylovskt

Medalist
To me, it sounds like Johnny Weir's plan a few years ago. He left a huge back door open for his way out. If he just started to practice his quad jumps for the Olympic season, chances of having a solid quad in the program is not so great. I remember Alexei Yagudin's successful rate for quad jumps at practice was about 98%. That was result of years after years practice. I am not saying that it's impossible because Patrick might be an exceptionally talented young man. I have to wait and see. If he could indeed successfully add a quad in his LP, he will be very competitive internationally.

It's good to consider adding quad jumps in his program though since he has many competitive years ahead of him.

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
Would it be better to add it in sp or lp?

I think LP as there's more room to make up points if it goes badly.

In the SP it's a miss on a required element that punishes heavily in reduced points and there aren't as many points in the short to begin with. Not much if any room for error.

seniorita

Record Breaker
i thought it would give him a great boost in marks if he landed one in sp, but you are right.

jennylovskt

Medalist

If it's just one quad jump and just experimental, skaters usually add it into LP instead of SP. It needs more confidence and mileage for skaters to put quad in SP. Add quad in both LP and SP will be the best, of course. I don't think Patrick can do that at this stage.

I am afraid that Patrick will end up "having" a quad the same way that Weir and Lysacek "have a quad."

IMHO it would pay off better for him to work on a solid triple Axel.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I start to believe that in order to have a steady quad in seniors you need to have it from earlier years.
yes but imagine..if he starts hitting quad on sp, he will score over 90!

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Like Oda and everybody else to whom the quad is new, he will most almost for sure only try it in the LP.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=11164.html?cid=rss

Go Patrick! Sounds like he has a great plan and will be well prepared for this upcoming Olympic year.

I would not get that excited. With a clean skate he does not need it. I highly doubt he will be able to land it under olympic pressure in his home country after only really training it for 6 months? Sorry, odds are not in his favor.

i love to skate

Medalist
I would not get that excited. With a clean skate he does not need it. I highly doubt he will be able to land it under olympic pressure in his home country after only really training it for 6 months? Sorry, odds are not in his favor.

Well he managed to land all three of his triple axels in his pressure filled Worlds Short and Long Program after struggling with that jump for the entire year. I wouldn't count him (or his quad) out. He states it's easier for him than the triple axel.

Wicked

Final Flight
I hope he can do it. Interesting he says the 3A gives him more trouble. Sometimes I think Patrick Chan is Stéphane Lambiel 2.0.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Chan's never trained a quad before? I thought he has, but has not put it in his programs.

elanna

Rinkside
To me, it is just wonderful that Patrick has, at last, started thinking about quad in earnest. He is only 18 (even old Plushenko is going to do quad), extremely talented, he needs this jump badly to start winning confidently, especially in Olympic season! I think the work on the quad may facilitate improvement his 3A technique, and the Olys will give him additional stimulus for successful work! I am sure he knows what he is doing.:clap::rock:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Chan's never trained a quad before? I thought he has, but has not put it in his programs.
no i just meant that maybe they need to have mastered it in young age, like body memory, to throw it later constantly , from practice to competitions there is a large margin. Of course it is only speculation of mine, I know nothing about training procedures.

nylynnr

On the Ice
One issue with top skaters who have grown up under IJS, as Chan has, is that they don't tend to put quads in their programs as freely as say Plushenko and Yagudin did at similar ages. Under 6.0, if you stood up on a quad, no one was going to study, re-play and analyze the jump to the degree they do nowadays. It didn't really matter if the jump was a 1/4 turn short. If indeed Plushenko returns and encounters an independent-minded caller at the GP event formerly known as CoR his quad may be under greater scrutiny.

elanna

Rinkside
Plushenko had a successful quad along with two 3-axels, one in combination in a competition at age 15.

I think Plushenko was some kind of an exception to the rules (early blossom); but normally, 18 years is a high time for inserting quad into programs:rock:, and we should not forget about Patrick`s exceptional talent. :agree:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Chan has been working on a quad for several years, but I guess he was never serious about it. He certainly has not planned to try one in his programs recently, working on getting his triple axels consistent on the senior level.