Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chan Starts Working on the Quad

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    Chan's never trained a quad before? I thought he has, but has not put it in his programs.
    no i just meant that maybe they need to have mastered it in young age, like body memory, to throw it later constantly , from practice to competitions there is a large margin. Of course it is only speculation of mine, I know nothing about training procedures.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elanna View Post
    He is only 18 (even old Plushenko is going to do quad)
    Plushenko had a successful quad along with two 3-axels, one in combination in a competition at age 15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TblblSv0Ueo

Custom Title
    One issue with top skaters who have grown up under IJS, as Chan has, is that they don't tend to put quads in their programs as freely as say Plushenko and Yagudin did at similar ages. Under 6.0, if you stood up on a quad, no one was going to study, re-play and analyze the jump to the degree they do nowadays. It didn't really matter if the jump was a 1/4 turn short. If indeed Plushenko returns and encounters an independent-minded caller at the GP event formerly known as CoR his quad may be under greater scrutiny.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Plushenko had a successful quad along with two 3-axels, one in combination in a competition at age 15.
    I think Plushenko was some kind of an exception to the rules (early blossom); but normally, 18 years is a high time for inserting quad into programs, and we should not forget about Patrick`s exceptional talent.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    Chan's never trained a quad before? I thought he has, but has not put it in his programs.
    Chan has been working on a quad for several years, but I guess he was never serious about it. He certainly has not planned to try one in his programs recently, working on getting his triple axels consistent on the senior level.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Patrick reminds me of Elvis - very foucsed and very confident. I am sure Patrick will work hard to perfect the quad. Go Patrick!!!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TblblSv0Ueo
    Oh, look, an underrotated Quad.

Rinkside
    well...i don't think he will be able to try quad on competition during next season...

Custom Title
    I believe Patrick can get it just in time for the olympics.

I remember hearing one commentaror said Patrick got everything he needed for each phase of his skating career and got it just in time. I believe the examples was his 3Lz and 3As.

Now it's 4T's turn

There's much about Patrick's skating that, to me, is above average and great. The Quad for competitive purposes will be nice, but he will still be a First Class skater without it, and heaven help the Quad Kings if they splat on it. How many of them have only the Quad?

Custom Title
    ^^ Who have only the quad? I can think of Timothy Geobel and Kevin Reynolds. Who else?

^^ Who have only the quad? I can think of Timothy Geobel and Kevin Reynolds. Who else?
    Patrick has the most super posture and flow over the ice. Only Johnny Weir has that. Maybe Adam if he gets rid of the morozov choppiness.
    My point, of course, who among the consistent quadders can show precision flow and posture over the ice? Who could one name who isn't an ardent fan?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Who could one name who isn't an ardent fan?
    Can I dare name -especially in terms of flow- Verner and TakahashI?
    And i m not this ardennes fan of both of them

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Patrick has the most super posture and flow over the ice. Only Johnny Weir has that. Maybe Adam if he gets rid of the morozov choppiness.
    My point, of course, who among the consistent quadders can show precision flow and posture over the ice? Who could one name who isn't an ardent fan?
    Wow, I have never thought about it in this way. Just for your words, I have rewatched Patrick's 09 Worlds LP and 09 Canadian Championship LP. I have to say, in a sense, I am proud of him because you say so. He is great at the edges, speed, and flow. But that doesn't deminish the greatness of the skaters who have quads. Without the technical difficulties, the skaters are just as such - another Johnny Weir kind of skater. The skaters who could perfectly combine difficult jumps and the beautiful skatings are the skaters who could be called perfect in my book. I can name half a dozen of them. I hope Patrick could jump out of this "have quad, no flow or have flow, no quad" circle. Then he will be truly great!
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 06-10-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Custom Title
    Without the technical difficulties, the skaters are just as such - another Johnny Weir kind of skater. The skaters who could perfectly combine difficult jumps and the beautiful skatings are the skaters who could be called perfect in my book. I can name half a dozen of them. I hope Patrick could jump out of this "have quad, no flow or have flow, no quad" circle. Then he will be truly great!
    A couple of years ago being compared to Johnny was a compliment. Now it's a diss. How quickly the tides turn.

Don't mind me, I just never expected that a time would come when Weir would be associated with generic, technically deficient skating...

I wonder if a similar fate awaits Chan. Sure he's a boy-wonder now, but what happens when he stumbles (and they all do). I wonder what we'll be saying about him in about 4 years time...hmmmm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast