Sonia Bianchetti Garbato's view cost cutting | Golden Skate

Sonia Bianchetti Garbato's view cost cutting

I like Bianchetti's questioning the ISU directives. One doesn't have to agree with her always but many, if not most, make sense.

I'm a great believer in quesioning authority, and I approve of this latest essay by Sonia.

janetfan

Match Penalty
More common sense which will get totally ignored.

If I read it right I don't care at all for splitting part of the same events into two separate sessions. And will this happen at the Olympics?
Some Olympic experience - skating in an empty arena :disagree:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Doesn't the IOC control the schedule at the Olympics? Not sure. Either way I imagine that the prestige of the Olympics would furnish at least a moderate crowd even for the lowest skaters present.

I have more of a problem with how '10 Nationals is being set up. Half of Nationals one weekend and the other half the next weekend?? Why??? Who can travel there and pay for a hotel room for 2 weekends plus the interim week? Not many could afford to spend that or to spend the time. How stupid.

I have more of a problem with how '10 Nationals is being set up. Half of Nationals one weekend and the other half the next weekend?? Why??? Who can travel there and pay for a hotel room for 2 weekends plus the interim week? Not many could afford to spend that or to spend the time. How stupid.

It's part of the deal with NBC television. They hope to attract two weekends' worth of television viewers, as a preview of the Olympic coverage. As for the live gate, I think they are hoping that the local Spokane people will take up some of the slack.

We'll see how it all works out.

It's part of the deal with NBC television. They hope to attract two weekends' worth of television viewers, as a preview of the Olympic coverage. As for the live gate, I think they are hoping that the local Spokane people will take up some of the slack.

We'll see how it all works out.
They did that in Torino also. Not sure, but wastn't all the Olys split into two weekends including CBS when they had it? It must work financially for NBC and that is why they are holding the 2 weekends in Spokane. There are fans of Novice and Juniors who will stay for both weekends.

For the Torino Olympics, the men's and the ladies were a week apart, but not on weekends. The men's SP was on a Tuesday and the LP onThursday, then the ladies were the same a week later (Feb ruary 21 and 23, 2006).

NBC seems to have the same deal going on for the Stanley Cup hockey finals. The first game is today (after only two days of rest), with game 2 on Sunday (no day in between). Then games 3 and 4 are during the week, but on some minor cable station, not NBC. Then it starts up again next Saturday with game 5.

The conjecture is that NBC does not want to show a hockey game during the week because if it went to overtime that would cut into the debut week of Conan O'brien's show.

Also, as in the case of figure skating, the amount of money that NBC is paying for the rights to broadcast Stanley Cup hockey is zero. It is up to the National Hockey League to sell enough advertising to break even or make a profit.