Pilot National Solo Dance Championships... | Golden Skate

Pilot National Solo Dance Championships...

mskater93

Record Breaker
...to Be Held Sept. 26-27 in Colorado Springs, Colo.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=43067

I just noticed this on the USFSA site. This could be cool. Does anyone know any more about it?

It's the innaugural event for the discipline. It seems to be another of US Figure Skating's attempt to keep people in the sport - test track events and now National Championships for solo dance (since finding a partner is about as easy as finding $100 on the ground).

Mafke

Medalist
It's the innaugural event for the discipline. It seems to be another of US Figure Skating's attempt to keep people in the sport - test track events and now National Championships for solo dance (since finding a partner is about as easy as finding $100 on the ground).

It's a natural development of the overall discipline of skating. I'll note that this has been a world championship event for roller skating for two years now (last year juniors only this year seniors and juniors). This year and last year were co-ed but starting next year they will be segregated by sex. And while free skating on rollers doesn't do much for me I like watching figures and solo dance on rollers.

Interestingly, for the compulsory dances in roller skating, all the skaters have to do the lady's pattern (since it's generally/always(?) more difficult).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Solo dance has been part of the Lake Placid International Dance Competition for quite some time now, so this is not a brand new thing.

Tammi

On the Ice
Solo dance has been part of the Lake Placid International Dance Competition for quite some time now, so this is not a brand new thing.
I hope that in the future, they do expand this new National program to encompass other parts of the Lake Placid competition. For example, I'd love to see the Novice, Junior & Senior solo CD/OD event brought in.

Mafke

Medalist
I hope that in the future, they do expand this new National program to encompass other parts of the Lake Placid competition. For example, I'd love to see the Novice, Junior & Senior solo CD/OD event brought in.

I'm long on record as favoring a CD/longOD format for senior elite competitions (with each competitor/pair being free to choose the rhythm but having to name the rhythm (no more non-dance FD drahmah).

Mafke

Medalist

Also, I think some ice dancers would probably do better on their own rather than having to scrounge up a partner (Death-stare Barb, I'm look at _you_!!!!)

Too bad this is coming about so late, I think for all his jumping talent Sandhu would have been much more interesting (and virtually unbeatable) as a solo dancer than as a free skater (for that matter in his prime he'd be close to unbeatable in any format that didn't require a 3ax...)