Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up!

Looks like we wont see Johnny and Evan go head to head until *maybe* the GPF (more likely nationals)... wonder if the USFSA invited Johnny to join them in Skate America or not ? or did Japan and Russia grab him first (I still can't get my head around who gets to pick what )

Custom Title
    I am still wondering about that TBD for SA ladies. Some think it is reserved for MK but who knows?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Looks like we wont see Johnny and Evan go head to head until *maybe* the GPF (more likely nationals)... wonder if the USFSA invited Johnny to join them in Skate America or not ? or did Japan and Russia grab him first (I still can't get my head around who gets to pick what )
    Johnny said on Twitter before the draw that he wanted Russia and Japan, so I would guess that is what he requested. Of course, unless a skater finished in the top three at Worlds, they have no actual say in what events they get, so it would have been just a request, and he could have ended up with anything.

I just noticed that McLaughlin and Brubaker are the only U.S. champions that were invited to Skate America. Not Jeremy Abbott, not Alissa Czisny, not Davis and White.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I am surprised that they gave Sasha two events, but I think she will only to SA. She is up against yu-na in both events and mao as well in the first. Mao has a rough time of it was well, drawing the first two events, back to back, halfway around the world and up against yu-na first off.
    Stunned that Shen and Zhao's names are up. I had no idea they were honestly planning a comeback. Once they got married I figured competiting was over...but Horray! maybe they will finally get the olympic gold they so deserve. Only they could pull off a comeback like that.

I am pretty glad that there will be no Johnny/Evan face-off. It only plays into the heads of both skaters and I prefer the skating without all that drama.

The dance and men's events are pretty well spread out, I don't really see clear winners in most of the events, which is a good thing.

Custom Title
    By the way, if one ends up out of podium in TEB, how high is the probability that the skater will make it to GF? I think it's very low, isn't it?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Who would be the TBA in men in Moscow?they have only two russians. Why Voronov is not picked there?
    I was expecting a TBA for plushy, I know it is just announcement but now I have a smile up until the sky, and rippon and oda and mao in teb!

Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    I am still wondering about that TBD for SA ladies. Some think it is reserved for MK but who knows?
    Maybe Michelle is waiting to see how Sasha does at TEB. If Sasha does OK, then Michelle will say, hey, if she can do it, so can I. If Sasha gets creamed by Kim and Asada, then Michelle can creep quietly away and sign up to do television commetrary in Vancouver.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Nor Evan and Abbott either. I can't get my head around the selection process either. All it does is give me a headache. :banging:

ugh I hope she isn't in the booth in Vancouver... her worlds "nothing really to add other than my star power" comments (ENUNCIATE FOR ONCE!) took a few minutes away from them showing something else... she and Dick both... if NBC packs the booth again like last time I'm gonna be ticked. Too many voices, not enough of anything.

/rant

Bummed Wester and Barantsev didn't get an assignment... and that we won't see Caydee and Jeremey until nationals [on TV].

Custom Title
    So, the top 3 at Worlds get to pick their spots? Then how do the host countries pick-I assume goes in some sort of order, starting with one particular hosr each year. Who got 1st choice this year? And then who gets to choose, the stop after them?

Excited for TEB!!!! Very strange Japan went with Miki over Mao, but I guess it's because Miki medaled at Worlds. Really hope Michelle is the TBA for SA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    So, the top 3 at Worlds get to pick their spots? Then how do the host countries pick-I assume goes in some sort of order, starting with one particular hosr each year. Who got 1st choice this year? And then who gets to choose, the stop after them?
    Nobody seems to know exactly what goes on in these meetings. The top skaters get to express their preferences, through their federations, but they don't always get what they put in for. There is supposed to be a randowm draw to see which host picks first, second, etc. But my impression is that there is a whole lot of bargaining and horse trading off the record among the federations to come up with the final list.

Very strange Japan went with Miki over Mao, but I guess it's because Miki medaled at Worlds.
    What's even stranger is that NHK could have selected both Miki and Mao. Miki from the 1-3 category and Mao from 4-6. These host picks come first, so other federations could not get either skater first if the Japanese Fed wanted them.

Maybe they offered Mao and Oda to TEB as a package. We'll let you have Mao if you also take Nobunari.

Custom Title
    Thank you! I thought it was 1-4 after Worlds, not 1-3. Hmm...wonder if Mao asked to skate in earlier GP events? That way she'd have more time to prepare for the Olympics. Just does not make any sense why else they wouldn't grab her.

Also wonder how Sasha managed 2 events. She chose not to compete for 3 seasons. I can see if she was injured, had surgery, but she was still skating on tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    What's even stranger is that NHK could have selected both Miki and Mao. Miki from the 1-3 category and Mao from 4-6. These host picks come first, so other federations could not get either skater first if the Japanese Fed wanted them.
    Maybe they offered Mao and Oda to TEB as a package. We'll let you have Mao if you also take Nobunari.

I suspect Mao got what Tarasova wanted for her.They have a lot to work on and with Mao skating in Russia and France she stays close to her home base and this saves them both travel time. The last I read was that Tat said there will be no mistakes this year. And Mao is supposededly training ballet now too so it's not like she and Tat need to be flying all over the world for these GP's.
    Their eye is on the prize and GP in Japan or anywhere is most likely meaningless to them right now. I would bet Mao asked Japan not to select her as Tat probably didn't want to disrupt her training or make such a long trip that would be of no benefit to them.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-31-2009 at 12:13 AM.

host country might have wanted her for SA? and then TEB had to take her? who knows?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast