Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up!

wishmaker

Rinkside
Enough with them already. If they are able to compete, then compete and stop all this primadonna complex. They know that it takes time and hard work to compete and they should stop fiddling with whoever to give way to them. Excuses and more excuses for the comebacks, they should just exit the skating world gracefully and stop pulling people's legs. Just a waste of time and slots for other competitors.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
OMG, TEB is absolutely CRAMMED with talent, it's almost like SA last year.

I'm thrilled that Sasha has two spots in the GP. Even though she has a slim shot at medaling at TEB, she has a pretty good chance at SA.

Oh, and I can definitely see Rachael making the final with her assignments (let's hope she does).

It's all about Rules can be broken as they are in all facets of life. I got clobbered for suggesting that Sasha would get 2 GPs, and she got the GP of her choice although that can backfire with a bronze if not 4th or even 5th. TEB is power packed.

What I did not like was that Mao could not get 2006 Olys but apparently the JF succumbed to the Rules.

wishmaker

Rinkside
No need for explanations to support your impression/opinion,JOESITZ. I do understand that's how you feel and you just wanted to share it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are there substitutes if someone WDs a certain time before an event?

Yes. Substitutes are drawn from the Seasons Best list. For Ladies (Italics means skater is probably going to skate in the JGP)

19 153.84 Kanako MURAKAMI JPN
20 149.28 Yukiko FUJISAWA JPN
21 147.46 Angela MAXWELL USA
22 147.41 Ivana REITMAYEROVA SVK

23 146.69 Becky BERESWILL USA 1 spot
25 145.00 Haruka IMAI JPN
26 144.49 Alexe GILLES USA 1 spot
27 143.02 Kristine MUSADEMBA USA
29 142.24 Oksana GOZEVA RUS 1 spot
30 142.12 Beatrisa LIANG USA 1 spot
31 140.67 Elena GLEBOVA EST 1 spot
34 139.50 Yan LIU CHN 1 spot
35 139.44 Amanda DOBBS USA skating PAIRS
36 139.37 Jenna MCCORKELL GBR 1 spot
38 137.78 Ksenia MAKAROVA RUS
39 137.05 Katarina GERBOLDT RUS 1 spot
40 136.98 Annette DYTRT GER 1 spot
41 136.41 Alexandra NAJARRO CAN
42 136.16 Mira LEUNG CAN 2 spots
45 135.25 Candice DIDIER FRA 1 spot
46 134.90 Stefania BERTON ITA skating PAIRS
48 133.54 Shoko ISHIKAWA JPN 2 spots
49 133.26 Binshu XU CHN 1 spot
50 131.50 Na-Young KIM KOR 2 spots
51 131.46 Diane SZMIETT CAN 1 spot
52 130.85 Tugba KARADEMIR TUR 1 spot
53 130.29 Anna JURKIEWICZ POL 2 spots
54 128.93 Nana TAKEDA JPN 2 spots
55 127.25 Melissa BULANHAGUI USA 2 spots
56 126.65 Isabel DRESCHER GER
57 125.61 Nina PETUSHKOVA RUS 2 spots
58 125.39 Anastasia GIMAZETDINOVA UZB 2 spots
59 124.95 Sonia LAFUENTE ESP 2 spots
60 124.50 Kana MURAMOTO JPN
61 124.18 Miriam ZIEGLER AUT

62 123.88 Cheltzie LEE AUS 2 spots
63 123.85 Mae Berenice MEITE FRA
64 123.52 Sandy HOFFMANN GER
65 123.12 Marissa SECUNDY USA

66 122.75 Jenni VÄHÄMAA FIN 2 spots
67 122.70 Francesca RIO ITA 2 spots
68 121.97 Rumi SUIZU JPN 2 spots
69 121.64 Hyeon-Jung KIM KOR 2 spots
70 120.61 Nella SIMAOVA CZE 2 spots
71 119.89 Rebecka EMANUELSSON SWE
72 118.71 Rylie MCCULLOCH-CASARSA CAN

73 118.39 Viktoria HELGESSON SWE 2 spots
74 118.09 Evgania TARASOVA RUS
75 117.98 Roberta RODEGHIERO ITA

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
TEB! :clap::clap::clap:

I have to go to the ladies too this time, that might be my only chance to see Kim, Asada and Nakano competing. I also like the men's line-up (I get to see Rippon!). And if I do Ladies, I probably have to do dance too. Well, at least the Kerrs are there, apart from that the Dance field seems a bit empty. Pairs is a bit like last year, except for Dubé / Davison are there instead of Duhamel / Buntin.

The weakest men's field is for sure SA; I mean there is only one other big gun apart from Lysacek, and that's Verner, who is never in form for his Grand Prix events. Oh, and China is also really weak. Lysacek can already book his hotel room in Japan.

Japan men's field is incredibly tough. The others look alright.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have read it very carefully.

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1403

The clause that is usually quoted as the supposed loop-hole is section 2.2, paragrqph (e):

This obviously does not apply to Sasha, or as far as I know, to Shen and Zhao.

Then there is section 2.2 paragraph (h).

Is that the “loophole” you are referring to? That this paragraph means that this “Group” can set aside the rules and make up new rules on the spot, which are not in the published document, without consulting anyone?

Both 2.2 Sec (e) and (h) are so generically written (I believe purposely, which is the methodology used by 'El Duce' and his council of cohorts) as to allow the widest possible interpretation for return eligibility. Thus it provides maximum cover for each NGB to allow a return of a former competitive skater and not be disallowed by the ISU. It's all apart of the corruptive nature of ISU leadership, IMHO.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
TEB! :clap::clap::clap:

I have to go to the ladies too this time, that might be my only chance to see Kim, Asada and Nakano competing. I also like the men's line-up (I get to see Rippon!). And if I do Ladies, I probably have to do dance too. Well, at least the Kerrs are there, apart from that the Dance field seems a bit empty. Pairs is a bit like last year, except for Dubé / Davison are there instead of Duhamel / Buntin.

The weakest men's field is for sure SA; I mean there is only one other big gun apart from Lysacek, and that's Verner, who is never in form for his Grand Prix events. Oh, and China is also really weak. Lysacek can already book his hotel room in Japan.
I think the TEB dance field is wonderful - I like V/M, love Nathalie and Fabian (hopefully you'll get some voidy programs!) and really like the Kerrs. Also, S/B are fun, and the Hubbells are interesting. I'd much rather watch that than CoC or SA - unless Isabelle and Olivier do make it, I feel SA is totally bland.

Someone pointed out that this is one year in which going to the GPF may not be so attractive, as it coudl mess up with preparation for Olys. USFSA may regret sending Evan out against weaker fields.

I am so jealous of everyone going to TEB. The ladies event alone should be worth the price of admission, and that's my least favorite discipline! And you get Brian, Yannick, Tomas, Adam Rippon and Javi in the men's field. The pairs event looks good, too. I so want to go.

chuckm said:
Yes. Substitutes are drawn from the Seasons Best list. For Ladies (Italics means skater is probably going to skate in the JGP)
AFAIK Stefania Berton switched to pairs.

I remember reading that Michelle has until May 30 to state if she wants to compete in the Grand Prix. So if Michelle wants to be Miss TBA at Skate America, all she needs to do is let the USFSA know by ...........................

................................ YESTERDAY !!!!!! :eek:

So now the question is, did she or ddn't she?

We won't know until November.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Im sooooo excited the list came out!!!:clap: I couldnt sleep last night thinking about it I sooo wanted to get out of bed and see if it was up yet.:laugh:

A few thoughts...
:eek: Shen & Zhao are back?! yea!!!!!!:love: I almost screamed in excitement when I saw it, but its 8 in the morning here and I didnt want to wake the neighbors. OMG I am about to bust!!! :clap: I cant wait to see them skate!! Yea!!! and they got 2 events!! :rock:

Sasha got 2 events as well!! :love: I am looking forward to seeing her compete again as well WooHoo!!

Wow TEB for the ladies is tough :eek: Holy Moley.

Im sooooooo glad Shawn Sawyer & Mirai got 2 events :rock:

Im sad Bebe only has one so far, I really hope she gets another. Same with Evora/Ladwig & Kristoffer Berntsson :frown:

Im anxiously waiting the TBD result for Skate America. The cynical side of me says,"get over it, you know it wont happen", but the dreamer side of me says,"Come on Michelle show them what you've got!" :rock: I think I would explode if she commits to SA.:love: I am still waiting to see the programs she was going to compete with before like they intended to be :bow: Hey..one can dream :biggrin:

Wow I cant wait for this season to start!!!!:yes:

I soooooooo need to find a way to see all the GP events live. I need to play the lotto or something. LOL

Last edited:

yangjie

On the Ice
I wonder about what kim yuna think to skate with Sacha,
and what Patrick think to skate with Prushenko and Takahashi.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Yeah, it's only good in the sense that she gets to play with the big girls, but it sucks for her if she wants to make it to the final. I notice that the other US ladies (Flatt, Wagner, Nagasu, and even Meissner) have much easier assignments, ones at which they are almost guaranteed placements if they skate cleanly. I can't help but feel Caroline is being thrown to the wolves...or then again, maybe the USFSA wants to send the best US lady to face the toughest competition. :p

Based on USFSA's past history regarding Caroline, I think I'd go with the "thrown to the wolves." If they really wanted to send the best US lady to face the toughest competition, they would have sent their only seeded skater there. (And then we arrive at the problem that Mao and Yu-Na are together in the same GP). I mean, if there's any US lady would do well in the deep field, it's Caroline, but I think this season making the final would say a lot more to USFSA and the world. Because right now Rachael probably has the best chance of making the final, and if she does, USFSA will say "there's our girl." No one will care that Caroline had much harder events, and scores won't mean a thing across events.

alekzu

Rinkside
Woah! Stop the press! When on earth Did Shen/Zhao annoncue they would return? I really love those two. The Pair competition needs them (not a fan of Pairs nowadays). So I am really glad they are. But I was so surprised. But yay! :party:

TEB is looking good. I'm at least going to consider going. But it all depends on work and money. But I'll consider it. Mens filed is strong, ladies is awesome, and dance is wonderful. Many of my favourites are going to be there.

Happy to see that Joshi Helgesson got 2 assignments. Although big sister, Viktoria, ended up with none.... Adrian got 2, Kristoffer one. I'll have to live with it. Kristoffer going to Japan is the best though. :rock:

How did Sasha end up getting 2 events? What rule allows that? Since she's been gone for a while? And wow, if Kwan also decides to comeback, I don't know what I'll say. Evgeni, Sasha, Shen/Zhao AND Kwan?! I'm not sure if it's to good to be true, or if it would have been better for them to just leave it. Time will tell.

And I have got to say this..... Daisuke is going to be back! :love:

Over and out.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Based on USFSA's past history regarding Caroline, I think I'd go with the "thrown to the wolves."

Because right now Rachael probably has the best chance of making the final, and if she does, USFSA will say "there's our girl." No one will care that Caroline had much harder events, and scores won't mean a thing across events.

True, but that sword has another edge. If Caroline makes the Final after the meat grinder that is TEB, she will be the top American lady going into Nationals. She will have a reserved ticket to Vancouver. :biggrin:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
True, but that sword has another edge. If Caroline makes the Final after the meat grinder that is TEB, she will be the top American lady going into Nationals. She will have a reserved ticket to Vancouver. :biggrin:

Not necessarily. Caroline could place well at TEB because one or more of the top skaters (Asada, Kim, Nakano) had a particularly bad outing, and that's always possible at the very first event of the season. Skaters aren't always in top shape right off the bat.

It's the GPF that carries weight for Olympic team selection, not individual event placement. Caroline would have to medal in the GPF to tip the balance in her favor AND also finish top 2 at Nationals.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Not necessarily. Caroline could place well at TEB because one or more of the top skaters (Asada, Kim, Nakano) had a particularly bad outing, and that's always possible at the very first event of the season. Skaters aren't always in top shape right off the bat.

It's the GPF that carries weight for Olympic team selection, not individual event placement. Caroline would have to medal in the GPF to tip the balance in her favor AND also finish top 2 at Nationals.

That could be said for any event and any skater. Caroline placing well at TEB because of an Asada/Kim meltdown has got to be better than Rachael placing well in an Asada/Kim-less field. But then again, if Caroline is in good condition so early in the season, will she burn out by the time Vancouver rolls around?

But I agree, aside from Nationals itself, making the GPF does say the most to USFSA. That's why it's not fair that some skaters have a visibly better chance of making it than others.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That could be said for any event and any skater. Caroline placing well at TEB because of an Asada/Kim meltdown has got to be better than Rachael placing well in an Asada/Kim-less field. But then again, if Caroline is in good condition so early in the season, will she burn out by the time Vancouver rolls around?

But I agree, aside from Nationals itself, making the GPF does say the most to USFSA. That's why it's not fair that some skaters have a visibly better chance of making it than others.

Actually, it's medaling in the GPF that carries weight, not just making it. A 5th or 6th place finish isn't going to demonstrate competitiveness with the top ladies.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Actually, it's medaling in the GPF that carries weight, not just making it. A 5th or 6th place finish isn't going to demonstrate competitiveness with the top ladies.

I'm talking about making the US Olympic team. If you're the only American to even reach the final, what difference does it make whether or not you medal? You're pretty much guaranteed a spot in Vancouver. Now medaling there is a different story..