Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up!

jennylovskt

Medalist
Wow, this coming season is going to be fantastic! Shen&Zhao's coming back. Didn't think that could happen. Don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing. Plushenko, Cohen, and Takahashi, I am getting excited already. Only five and a half month away from next GP event. TEB and ROC are the most exciting events for me.

Then there is section 2.2 paragraph (h).
Is that the “loophole” you are referring to? That this paragraph means that this “Group” can set aside the rules and make up new rules on the spot, which are not in the published document, without consulting anyone?
That seems to be exactly what it says. Could it have been written with this kind of scenario in mind? How do YOU read it, MM? And why do you put "Group" in quotes as if it's not a legitimate committee?

MKFSfan

Medalist
The way I'm reading it is such skaters would then be allowed to one invite. The second invite is only if the skaters were unable to compete due to forces beyond their control (injury). Unless I'm reading wrong and it's one invite PLUS the host country is allowed to invite their own skaters after another country picks them, if they choose to do so.

Nadine

Record Breaker
OMG, the list is finally out, Yeah!:clap:

So happy to see that Samuelson&Bates got TEB and SC. Likewise, overjoyed about Summersett&Gilles getting NHK. And I have to admit I have a bit of a crush on Massimo Scali, thus happy to see he & his partner will be at COC and SC (loved their FD to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata at Worlds this year, though I don't really like her, just him :biggrin: ).

Oops, almost forgot, duh, very pleased that Delobel&Schoenfelder received SA and SC. I believe, Isabelle, I believe.

Now for the ladies ~ happy for all the Americans, in particular for Kimmie Meissner ~ two GPs, yes!:thumbsup: It's been said that she's been working on the triple axel again & hopes to put it in her LP. What guts. It's just great to see her back again in the forefront. I've missed both her & Emily. Thank you, Kimmie, for keeping up the great American tradition of leading the way in pushing the envelope to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Sasha, what can I say...full of passion & fire, but no longer a baby ballerina, rather a mature full grown woman, which I hope to see reflected in her programs ala her SOI Moonlight Sonata performance...got to hand it to her, so far she's done everything she said she would since taking a hiatus back in 2006. Right from the beginning she said she would be interested in competing again for the 2010 Olympics, thus she took it year-by-year, never leaving the ice completely, keeping up a modicum of her skills via SOI, saving the best for last. Taking the bull by the horns -- first one to annouce her official comeback, followed by Evgeni Plushenko later on -- no mind games. BRING IT ON!!!!!!:rock:

Andalusia

Final Flight
Oh gosh, Caroline pretty much has the toughest GP's out of all the US ladies.. That sucks... And wow, she has the same exact events as last year.

Yeah, it's only good in the sense that she gets to play with the big girls, but it sucks for her if she wants to make it to the final. I notice that the other US ladies (Flatt, Wagner, Nagasu, and even Meissner) have much easier assignments, ones at which they are almost guaranteed placements if they skate cleanly. I can't help but feel Caroline is being thrown to the wolves...or then again, maybe the USFSA wants to send the best US lady to face the toughest competition. :p

And as for Armin and Shen/Zhao...WHEEE! :clap:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I like it! Sasha does not have to do anything heroic at Eric Bompard. Just show up without too much rust, skate her programs, and finish somewhere in the middle of that powerhouse field (Kim, Asada, Nakano, Zhang, Gedevanishvili, Korpi,...). Then crank ot up a notch and try to medal at Skate America. That will put her right on track.

Maybe, but I'm not sure about that. If you think about where Sasha is likely to be at the beginning of the season, she could still be finding her competition legs again. Unless she hits the ground running, which is possible but far from certain, she could potentially find herself as low as 5th or 6th if she has a bad couple of nights. Personally I expect her to finish in 3rd or 4th. Either way, she's used to being a little higher up (like silver) and in higher contention. It WILL help her in one way to skate against Yun-a, Mao, Yukari and the others right off the bat, to force her to adapt early. But in another sense it might really shake her confidence, especially if she gets 4th or lower and isn't even on the podium.

Worst case: she gets 4th or lower at TEB, then overtrains and injures herself, or just blows off SA to just train for the Olympics only, doesn't go to SA and I don't get to see her. Heh... :(

host country might have wanted her for SA? and then TEB had to take her? who knows? :laugh:

Uh. Yeah. What a drag for a skating competition to have Sasha Cohen competing at it. </sarcasm>

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Shen and Zhao! Like everyone else, I didn't see that one coming. Maybe they will finally win the gold they deserve :rock:. It won't be easy, they're the oldest in the pairs field, aren't they? I can't wait to see what they skate to. Hopefully Eurosport will pick up the GPs again this season, and not preempt them for evil snooker this time around.

TEB ladies - I said a few weeks ago they might bring in both Mao and Yu-Na! And TEB men looks great too, and the ice dance. If everyone shows up it'll be amazing, I wish I could go. Medusa, throw them some stuffed animals for me if you end up going!

I knew Brian Joubert wouldn't get CoR this season - clearly the Russian fed wants Plushy to face off against the quadless Chan (I'll believe he has a quad when I see it). That should be interesting, to say the least.

pippa said:
Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123
By the way, if one ends up out of podium in TEB, how high is the probability that the skater will make it to GF? I think it's very low, isn't it?
It depends on how everyone does, but this year Abbott made the GPF with one gold and one fourth place finish on the GP circuit.
It actually happened last season at TEB - Joubert finished fourth, then won CoR the next week to qualify for the GPF.

Trewyn

Medalist
OMG I just bought TEB tickets *yesterday*! I really really hope Sasha will show up! The men's competition at TEB actually isn't as exciting as the one in Russia; but if the French guys bring their A-game it will be well worth watching. Interesting field in both Ice Dance and Pairs.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Whee the excitement has begun !

Recently I read an opinion that US got more GP spots in 08 than what was expected from the 07-08 results;
now this year US got full maximum allotments, 18 ladies spots in all. This does seem like a sweep.
Is USFSA good at negociating? Or like, the main power in the ISU?
Personally, I think this reflects the richness of US in the field of coming young forces. This lacks in Japan, so only stayed at 11 ladies spots.
But the US sweep did seem to kick out Na-Young Kim, Mira Leung, ....

seniorita

Record Breaker
Ah, I wasnt dreaming , it is still there!:clap:
The way I see it maybe they want to see how plush scores / competes against chan before Olympics, plus he will meet joubert in euros anyway.
Where did you buy TEB tickets?Ticketnet has not them available yet :(

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sasha got her two GP invites-so much for the naysayers on that score.

This is going to be imo a much more interesting season for me.I hardly bothered watching the last few years but now for sure. I only wish Michelle had pulled a surprize return and entry. That would have made my happiness bliss. :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Ah, I wasnt dreaming , it is still there!:clap:
The way I see it maybe they want to see how plush scores / competes against chan before Olympics, plus he will meet joubert in euros anyway.
Where did you buy TEB tickets?Ticketnet has not them available yet :(
I think someone posted re how to buy tickets over in 2009-10 events - there's a TEB thread there. You should go, seniorita! Can I convince you to throw Brian something nice on my behalf ;)?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Exactly. And like past years, the matchups almost never turn out- there are always plenty of withdrawals each year.

Danale

On the Ice
GP assignments! Yay!
I'm swamped with work, and in the middle of my lunch break it occurred to me to check if the assignments are published, and ... :rock::rock::rock:

Did read the thread yet (damn work), but just have to say:
1. TEB looks AMAZING in all fields
2. Happy about Sasha getting two spots
3. Takahshi's back :clap:
4. I know Brian wanted RUS assignment, but he'll be happy with JPN and all the screaming fans - he thrives on this.
5. I hope Eurosport will air it. I mean actually air it. Not just put it on schedule and air swimming/snooker/tennis

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
A few observations: There isn't much use accusing the ISU of breaking rules in regards to Sasha. I remember studying the constitution of the old Soviet Union back in high school. It was filled with "weasel clauses", which basically said the great and glorious Communist Party could do whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted. The ISU seems to have the same system.

The USFSA considers Jeremy and Evan their best men, as it seems they did their best to keep those two separate. Likewise they consider Rachael and Caroline their best ladies.

Caroline has a tough schedule. But if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Still, she has a reasonable shot at a silver and bronze, which is what got her in the Final in 2007.

I remember reading that Michelle has until May 30 to state if she wants to compete in the Grand Prix. So if Michelle wants to be Miss TBA at Skate America, all she needs to do is let the USFSA know by ...........................

................................ YESTERDAY !!!!!! :eek: