Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up! | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up!

wishmaker

Rinkside
Well, if the USFSA could ask a skater to withdraw from a competition for the good of the team, why in the first place would they include the skater then later on withdraw. So afterwards, what will happen to the skater?!! It's just my opinion and sure hope I didn't offend anybody with what I've said.

Let's see .......... The USFSA could ask a skater to withdraw from a competition for the good of the team?

................... Let me think about that for a while.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Edited to add: Seriously, though, I think that did happen in the selection of the 2008 Worlds team. Kristina Hacker stood aside to let Kimmie be on the team.

About the Bebe situation, my question was about what the ISU rules allowed -- I was just using Bebe as a hypothetical example.

Last edited:

nylynnr

On the Ice
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Edited to add: Seriously, though, I think that did happen in the selection of the 2008 Worlds team. Kristina Hacker stood aside to let Kimmie be on the team.

About the Bebe situation, my question was about what the ISU rules allowed -- I was just using Bebe as a hypothetical example.

Stood aside? The selection committee didn't put her on the world team. AFAIK they didn't ask her opinion on the topic.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If anyone should have been asked to withdraw from a GP assignment, it should have been Emily Hughes last season. Her TEB performance ranked 10th of 11 skaters and placed her #82 on the 2008-2009 SB list.

Prior to TEB, she had signed up for and withdrawn from two summer comps, then waited till September to do Midatlantics, where her subpar performances finished third behind Elene Gedevanishvili and Tamar Katz. She finished 3rd at North Atlantic Regionals behind Joelle Forte and Taylor Firth (who went on to finish 12th and 13th at Nationals). Although she had a bye to Nationals because of her TEB assignment, Emily withdrew a week before the start of Naitonals.

Sinclare

Rinkside
Put a face on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBgM9rmV72A

I saw this on You Tube and thought it was very helpful to me. It gives a 2 or 3 second clip of each skater at each GP event. I thought it was novel, some of these men I did not know what they looked like. I now have a visual of each skater at each event. I have four months to make popcorn! :eek:hwell:

Stood aside? The selection committee didn't put her on the world team. AFAIK they didn't ask her opinion on the topic.

Someone posted on one of these boards, long after the fact, that Katrina had been contacted by the committee before the decision and that she had bring willing for Kimmie to be given the spot. I don't know if this is true or not.

If anyone should have been asked to withdraw from a GP assignment, it should have been Emily Hughes last season. Her TEB performance ranked 10th of 11 skaters and placed her #82 on the 2008-2009 SB list.

Of course, at the time they didn't know how she would do.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course, at the time they didn't know how she [Emily Hughes] would do.

Yes, they did get a couple of advance warnings.

At Midlantics (Sept) Emily scored 110.84 (44.58/66.26).

At North Atlantic Regionals, she scored 130.73 (51.26/79.74

Emily's score at TEB,115.48 (44.32/71.16), was very close to what she scored at Midlantics.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
One would think that USFS would have been justified to ask Emily Hughes to withdraw from TEB based on her competition performances last September/October, but the fact that she didn't withdraw seems to indicate that it was Emily's and her team's decision, and not USFS'.

Someone posted on one of these boards, long after the fact, that Katrina had been contacted by the committee before the decision and that she had bring willing for Kimmie to be given the spot. I don't know if this is true or not.
I also recall this rumor being posted online (it might have originated at FSU?), but based on comments Katrina Hacker made at 2008 Four Continents and elsewhere since that time, I am led to believe that it was never her decision to "stand aside" for Meissner to go to 2008 Worlds in her place. Prior to 2008 Nationals (where she finished 6th in her senior debut to Meissner's 7th), Hacker's only international experience had consisted of one JGP in the fall of 2006 (5th in Romania).

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
One would think that USFS would have been justified to ask Emily Hughes to withdraw from TEB based on her competition performances last September/October, but the fact that she didn't withdraw seems to indicate that it was Emily's and her team's decision, and not USFS'.

If I understand these convoluted GP rules, national federations must submit some sort of list to the ISU with the names of skaters who can compete. If Emily got an assignment, the USFSA must have put her on the list. They would not put her on a list, then ask her to withdraw.

Like most of this board, I hope Becky and Alexe get a second spot each. But then, this guilty feeling comes over me. What is it exactly that I am "hoping"? Do I want somebody to get sick? Do I hope somebody gets injured? Do I want somebody to get caught using drugs? Of course not! So there isn't anything for me to "hope" ..... except that this mysterious TBA spot at Skate America goes to a girl who deserves it.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
If I understand these convoluted GP rules, national federations must submit some sort of list to the ISU with the names of skaters who can compete. If Emily got an assignment, the USFSA must have put her on the list. They would not put her on a list, then ask her to withdraw.
That was my point about Bebe Liang earlier. The difference between Liang's and Emily Hughes' situations is that Hughes was guaranteed one Senior GP assignment last year because she was in the top 24 2007-08 Season Best scores list (Liang was not guaranteed 1 GP this year because she was #30 on the SB list).

Megan Oster was a talented up-and-coming U.S. lady just a few years ago. She received 2 Senior GP assignments (2007 Skate Canada and NHK Trophy) after having medalled (bronze) in the Junior Grand Prix Final in December 2006. But she first had to compete at her Regionals in October 2007 and place top 4 in the Senior Ladies event there in order to be eligible for her bye through Sectionals in November (due to the timing of NHK) to 2008 Nationals. Unfortunately, Oster did not place in the top 4 at Regionals and therefore did not qualify for Nationals even through she had 2 GPs. She ended up withdrawing from Skate Canada due to injury and, soon afterwards, withdrew from NHK Trophy as well. Oster officially announced her retirement before the start of last season.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

However, Emily did not compete at Nationals 2008, and she was required to perform at one or more summer competitions to demonstrate her readiness for the GP assignment. Any skater given a GP assignment who did not finish in the top 5 at the latest Nationals has to do summer competition(s) and/or be individually monitored.

Emily's one summer competition, Midlantics, did not show that she was ready for international competition, and her performance at Regionals wasn't much better. The USFS could have asked her to step down because she was clearly not the Emily of the 2007-2008 GP (which was the basis for her one GP assignment) and her performance level was not good enough for international competition, especially the GP.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
However, Emily did not compete at Nationals 2008, and she was required to perform at one or more summer competitions to demonstrate her readiness for the GP assignment.
True, and although she did not "demonstrate readiness for the GP assignment," USFS is not known for taking away international assignments from their skaters.

Any skater given a GP assignment who did not finish in the top 5 at the latest Nationals has to do summer competition(s) and/or be individually monitored.
Only Team A envelope skaters are exempt from competing in a summer competition (not all top 5 placing skaters/teams at Nationals meet the criteria for Team A), but they still can compete in the summer if they want (for example, McLaughlin/Brubaker competed their SP at Broadmoor Open last June and both programs at Indy Challenge in August). All Team A skaters are individually monitored in their home rinks in September.

Last edited:

cvg16

Rinkside
Offhand, what would you say are Takahiko's chances of making it to the GPF? At CoR he's up against Chan, Weir and Plushenko, at NHK against Joubert, Takahashi, Abbott and Weir.

I wanna see him at the finals and I worry about him...