Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up! | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up!

ChuckM, can a country fill one of their TBA home slots with a skater from another country?

For instance, Cup of China lists two TBA's reserved for Chinese skaters (ladies). Could they invite someone else instead -- Michelle, for example?

feraina

Record Breaker
ChuckM, can a country fill one of their TBA home slots with a skater from another country?

For instance, Cup of China lists two TBA's reserved for Chinese skaters (ladies). Could they invite someone else instead -- Michelle, for example?

Oh! What a thought. I bet China would love to! But multiple countries have TBA's in ladies. TEB, for instance. What if TEB invites Michelle?! Oh, man! I will have to find an excuse to fly to Paris, then. Caroline, Mao, Yu-na, MICHELLE, Sasha, Yukari, and Carolina! It'll be better than the Olympics for sure, if only Michelle, Sasha, and Caroline can't all go to the Olympics. ;)

Oh, but wait, all the events have 3 US ladies already. Is any event allowed to invite a 4th lady from the same country? Doesn't that break some ISU rule? On the other hand, they broke whatever rules they needed for Cohen and S/Z to have 2 events, so probably they'll find a way for Michelle, too, if she decides to come back.

I somehow suspect that she really will make an announcement to comeback. Or at least she really wants to come back, and is training hard, but doesn't know if she can get her skating back up to a competitive level, or if her body will hold up through a gruelling Olympic season after so many years away. Now, even if she does announce a comeback, I don't know if she can actually make it to the Olympics. It's a delightful thought to see her skate again. But I'm not looking forward to her comeback potentially being a disappointment, either due to injury or poor results. Her tears at the last Olympics broke my heart. :cry:

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, she already failed in 2006, I can't see why it would be much different in 2010. As for Cohen, she's in the same boat. I don't see either one either in prime condition or healthy enough to go.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both TEB and CoC have unfilled Ladies host spots, and yes, they can fill those spots with skaters from another federation. But they cannot have more than 3 skaters from a single federation on their roster.

TEB could invite a third Japanese skater (say, Takeda), or a second Finnish skater (Vahamaa) but not an American, because there are already 3 US ladies at the event.

CoC could invite a skater from Canada, Japan, Finland, Russia, or any other federation except the US, because there are already 3 US ladies at the event

I don't see her coming back by her own choice. She's a legend and has moved on.

But! If I am wrong, how late is it for her to get to Pacific Sectionals for a warm-up before US Nats. Why spill it out with Mao and YuNa? It's the US Nats that is heavily weighted for selection of the Olys.

Both TEB and CoC have unfilled Ladies host spots, and yes, they can fill those spots with skaters from another federation. But they cannot have more than 3 skaters from a single federation on their roster.

TEB could invite a third Japanese skater (say, Takeda), or a second Finnish skater (Vahamaa) but not an American, because there are already 3 US ladies at the event.

CoC could invite a skater from Canada, Japan, Finland, Russia, or any other federation except the US, because there are already 3 US ladies at the event
Why not have more than 3 skaters from one country? We've learned that Rules can be broken when necessary.

Why not have more than 3 skaters from one country? We've learned that Rules can be broken when necessary.

Now that I understand the rules better, I don't think any rule was broken in allowing Sasha and Shen and Zhao to get a second event.

The rules list 8 ways that a skater can be eligible to be selected for the pool. The first 7 ways are things like top 12 at worlds, top 75 in personal best, etc.

The 8th way allowed by the rules is for the ISU Committee to OK it. Sasha and the Chinese pairs got in by rule number 8.

But rule number 10 says flat out, no more that three can be invited from any one country.

The rules do give the Committee the power to send Sasha to a second event, but they do not give the Committee the power to override rule number 10.

Edited to add: On the other hand, I don't see any rule that would prevent USFS from leaning on Bebe and making her withdraw to open up a spot for a different American lady. :eek:hwell:

Last edited:
Now that I understand the rules better, I don't think any rule was broken in allowing Sasha and Shen and Zhao to get a second event.
Isn't that a revised Rule? There was so much talk that Olympics results or the bygone Worlds had anything to do with the present GPs?

The 8th way allowed by the rules is for the ISU Committee to OK it. Sasha and the Chinese pairs got in by rule number 8.
I think that was the hasty revision. Anyway it's clear now so if I say the Olys has influence in 2013 GPs, I wont be far from wrong. The exceptions were for Oly past medalists.:yes:

But rule number 10 says flat out, no more that three can be invited from any one country.
That can be a hasty revision, too. There are so many TBAs in those Grids. ;)

The rules do give the Committee the power to send Sasha to a second event, but they do not give the Committee the power to override rule number 10.
Leave out Sasha's name and does it still apply?

Edited to add: On the other hand, I don't see any rule that would prevent USFS from leaning on Bebe and making her withdraw to open up a spot for a different American lady. :eek:hwell:
That would be nice indeed. I'm looking forward to a perfect 3F this season.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Because that would be grossly unfair to skaters from federations that aren't also GP hosts. When you really think about it, it sure wouldn't be all that fair to the skaters from the federation if four or more could compete at the same event. If Cohen, Zhang, Flatt and Nagasu were all at the same competition, then at least two of them would automatically be eliminated from any chance at the GPF.

Almost no federation would even want such a 'bending' of the rules.

I hope this is a joke. That would be mean! Anyway, I'm hoping Bebe is TBA! :cool:

Isn't that a revised Rule?

No. Here is it in the previous year's announcement -- exactly the same wording as this year. (Section 2.2 f in 2008/09, 2.2 h in 2009/10.)

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db/files/serve.php?id=956

There was so much talk that Olympics results or the bygone Worlds had anything to do with the present GPs?

What confused everybody at first was the new section, 2.2 g of the 2009/10 announcement, about skaters returning from injury, like Takahashi.

Sasha, Shen and Zhao and Plushenko (if he had sought a second invitation) do not fall under this new rule g, but rather under the old rule, h.

Leave out Sasha's name and does it still apply?

Yes, I think so.

Spun Silver said:
I hope this is a joke. That would be mean!

I am just trying to understand what the rules allow and don't allow. I am not saying anything about what would be a good or a bad thing to do.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
oh mr mathman, why you confuseme :unsure:?
since i first read the rules when posted here, I understood that the retired skaters fall in the category h ( i think it is h, the one that says more or less they can invite anyone they want apart from the previous categories ) .. Unless coming from injured. Then there was the whole speculation that they will use injuries to be in category of takahashi. Now how plushenko and sasha transferred in g? I see them still in last one. :scratch:

seniorita

Record Breaker
lol, i m really sorry mm, :laugh:i read now my post in daylight and I dont even remember it, probably was half asleep or my brain pixels are all burnt out from studying:unsure:
thanx for understanding:)

antmanb

Record Breaker
I doubt that very much. Asada is the reigning GPF Champion and former World Champion and has always been a popular pick. She and Kim are viewed as two of the main threats for the 2010 OGM, and an early-season matchup should be a great audience draw.

Sorry i should have clarified, if people were picking tactically to give a skater more chance of wining they'd presumably steer clear of Mao.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry i should have clarified, if people were picking tactically to give a skater more chance of wining they'd presumably steer clear of Mao.

Ant

Federations like the French don't have strong ladies, so they want the most competitive roster possible, and this year's TEB is it.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
But the fact that Liang got a GP assignment (Cup of China) means USFS submitted her name to the GP selection pool in the first place (no reason not to do so because Liang was #30 on the SB scores list). Liang is currently listed in USFS' Team C funding envelope and, AFAIK, she would not be "made to wiithdraw" from her GP unless she wasn't competing this year. And even if she did end up withdrawing from CoC for whatever reason, China would not be obligated to pick a USA lady to replace her.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

Let's see .......... The USFSA could ask a skater to withdraw from a competition for the good of the team?

................... Let me think about that for a while.