Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up!

Im sooooo excited the list came out!!! I couldnt sleep last night thinking about it I sooo wanted to get out of bed and see if it was up yet.

A few thoughts...
    Shen & Zhao are back?! yea!!!!!! I almost screamed in excitement when I saw it, but its 8 in the morning here and I didnt want to wake the neighbors. OMG I am about to bust!!! I cant wait to see them skate!! Yea!!! and they got 2 events!!

Sasha got 2 events as well!! I am looking forward to seeing her compete again as well WooHoo!!

Wow TEB for the ladies is tough Holy Moley.

Im sooooooo glad Shawn Sawyer & Mirai got 2 events

Im sad Bebe only has one so far, I really hope she gets another. Same with Evora/Ladwig & Kristoffer Berntsson

Im anxiously waiting the TBD result for Skate America. The cynical side of me says,"get over it, you know it wont happen", but the dreamer side of me says,"Come on Michelle show them what you've got!" I think I would explode if she commits to SA. I am still waiting to see the programs she was going to compete with before like they intended to be Hey..one can dream

Wow I cant wait for this season to start!!!!

I soooooooo need to find a way to see all the GP events live. I need to play the lotto or something. LOL
    Last edited by Pikachuusb; 05-31-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Custom Title
    I wonder about what kim yuna think to skate with Sacha,
    and what Patrick think to skate with Prushenko and Takahashi.

Custom Title
    Shen/Zhao are back and better!

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    Yeah, it's only good in the sense that she gets to play with the big girls, but it sucks for her if she wants to make it to the final. I notice that the other US ladies (Flatt, Wagner, Nagasu, and even Meissner) have much easier assignments, ones at which they are almost guaranteed placements if they skate cleanly. I can't help but feel Caroline is being thrown to the wolves...or then again, maybe the USFSA wants to send the best US lady to face the toughest competition.
    Based on USFSA's past history regarding Caroline, I think I'd go with the "thrown to the wolves." If they really wanted to send the best US lady to face the toughest competition, they would have sent their only seeded skater there. (And then we arrive at the problem that Mao and Yu-Na are together in the same GP). I mean, if there's any US lady would do well in the deep field, it's Caroline, but I think this season making the final would say a lot more to USFSA and the world. Because right now Rachael probably has the best chance of making the final, and if she does, USFSA will say "there's our girl." No one will care that Caroline had much harder events, and scores won't mean a thing across events.

Woah! Stop the press! When on earth Did Shen/Zhao annoncue they would return? I really love those two. The Pair competition needs them (not a fan of Pairs nowadays). So I am really glad they are. But I was so surprised. But yay!

TEB is looking good. I'm at least going to consider going. But it all depends on work and money. But I'll consider it. Mens filed is strong, ladies is awesome, and dance is wonderful. Many of my favourites are going to be there.

Happy to see that Joshi Helgesson got 2 assignments. Although big sister, Viktoria, ended up with none.... Adrian got 2, Kristoffer one. I'll have to live with it. Kristoffer going to Japan is the best though.

How did Sasha end up getting 2 events? What rule allows that? Since she's been gone for a while? And wow, if Kwan also decides to comeback, I don't know what I'll say. Evgeni, Sasha, Shen/Zhao AND Kwan?! I'm not sure if it's to good to be true, or if it would have been better for them to just leave it. Time will tell.

And I have got to say this..... Daisuke is going to be back!

Over and out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    Based on USFSA's past history regarding Caroline, I think I'd go with the "thrown to the wolves."

Because right now Rachael probably has the best chance of making the final, and if she does, USFSA will say "there's our girl." No one will care that Caroline had much harder events, and scores won't mean a thing across events.
    True, but that sword has another edge. If Caroline makes the Final after the meat grinder that is TEB, she will be the top American lady going into Nationals. She will have a reserved ticket to Vancouver.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    True, but that sword has another edge. If Caroline makes the Final after the meat grinder that is TEB, she will be the top American lady going into Nationals. She will have a reserved ticket to Vancouver.
    Not necessarily. Caroline could place well at TEB because one or more of the top skaters (Asada, Kim, Nakano) had a particularly bad outing, and that's always possible at the very first event of the season. Skaters aren't always in top shape right off the bat.

It's the GPF that carries weight for Olympic team selection, not individual event placement. Caroline would have to medal in the GPF to tip the balance in her favor AND also finish top 2 at Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Not necessarily. Caroline could place well at TEB because one or more of the top skaters (Asada, Kim, Nakano) had a particularly bad outing, and that's always possible at the very first event of the season. Skaters aren't always in top shape right off the bat.

It's the GPF that carries weight for Olympic team selection, not individual event placement. Caroline would have to medal in the GPF to tip the balance in her favor AND also finish top 2 at Nationals.
    That could be said for any event and any skater. Caroline placing well at TEB because of an Asada/Kim meltdown has got to be better than Rachael placing well in an Asada/Kim-less field. But then again, if Caroline is in good condition so early in the season, will she burn out by the time Vancouver rolls around?

But I agree, aside from Nationals itself, making the GPF does say the most to USFSA. That's why it's not fair that some skaters have a visibly better chance of making it than others.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    That could be said for any event and any skater. Caroline placing well at TEB because of an Asada/Kim meltdown has got to be better than Rachael placing well in an Asada/Kim-less field. But then again, if Caroline is in good condition so early in the season, will she burn out by the time Vancouver rolls around?

But I agree, aside from Nationals itself, making the GPF does say the most to USFSA. That's why it's not fair that some skaters have a visibly better chance of making it than others.
    Actually, it's medaling in the GPF that carries weight, not just making it. A 5th or 6th place finish isn't going to demonstrate competitiveness with the top ladies.

Actually, it's medaling in the GPF that carries weight, not just making it. A 5th or 6th place finish isn't going to demonstrate competitiveness with the top ladies.
    I'm talking about making the US Olympic team. If you're the only American to even reach the final, what difference does it make whether or not you medal? You're pretty much guaranteed a spot in Vancouver. Now medaling there is a different story..

Custom Title
    Posts like this throw me into confusion, so let me try to explain why.

Please read the following 2 statements.

Statement 1 ) .... The USFSA will consider the U.S. Nationals and four international competitions in choosing its Olympic team.

Statement 2 ) .... The USFSA will consider the U.S. Nationals, and NOTHING ELSE, in choosing its Olympic team.

Can we all agree that both statements cannot be true? They contradict. It must be either one or the other. If you believe that international events will be considered, but a skater must still finish top 2, then you believe Statement 2. ( And you may be right. )

I happen to believe Statement 1. I think if Rachael and Caroline make the GP Final, they are the Olympic team, barring a total implosion at Nationals. ( And I may be wrong. )

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Wow, never even heard the slightest whisper of Shen and Zhao coming back. Amazing really when you think of all the noise surrounding so many other returnees. I saw Shen and Zhao at SoI in DC and they were so wonderful.

One name that's had some comeback noise but is not on the Grand Prix list- Stéphane Lambiel. Maybe Plush was wrong.

Statement 1 ) .... The USFSA will consider the U.S. Nationals and four international competitions in choosing its Olympic team.

Statement 2 ) .... The USFSA will consider the U.S. Nationals, and NOTHING ELSE, in choosing its Olympic team.

Can we all agree that both statements cannot be true? They contradict. It must be either one or the other. If you believe that international events will be considered, but a skater must still finish top 2, then you believe Statement 2. ( And you may be right. )

I happen to believe Statement 1. I think if Rachael and Caroline make the GP Final, they are the Olympic team, barring a total implosion at Nationals. ( And I may be wrong. )
    And don't forget the Exception To The Rules

Statement 3: The USFSA will weigh placement at U.S. Nationals much more heavily than other considerations. If unusual circumstances arise, the USFSA reserves the right to factor in results from international competions. Most important of these are placement and strength of field in the 2009 Grand Prix Finals and 2009 Worlds.

I think if Rachael and Caroline make the GP Final, they are the Olympic team, barring a total implosion at Nationals. ( And I may be wrong. )
    And where does Sasha come in? That's what I'm concerned about. She mostly likely is not aiming to tear up the GPs but rather to bring it to Nationals..

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    One name that's had some comeback noise but is not on the Grand Prix list- Stéphane Lambiel. Maybe Plush was wrong.
    It's a shame, I would love to see Stephane come back.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast