Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Prediction Thread for Trophée Eric 2009

Analyzing Sasha

One must not forget that Sasha almost won the 2006 Olympics. She then made a mess of herself at Worlds 2006.

How will the judges think of her subliminally if she skates a clean LP ?

I actually expect a podium finish and a wait and see if a clean skate will get her gold.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    One must not forget that Sasha almost won the 2006 Olympics.
    almost WON??

no, no, no. She was strong in the short but was in a virtual tie with two other skaters. Then, due to her warmup mishaps, she was dead in the water long before it began. Still, it could have been much worse.

I actually expect a podium finish and a wait and see if a clean skate will get her gold.
    I will keep expectations for her low, and focus my attention on the other Americans. Given her being gone for three years, any kind of a medal finish would be IMO
    Last edited by R.D.; 07-31-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dkyoun View Post
    Ladies
    1. Yu-Na Kim
    2. Sasha Cohen or Caroline Zhang
    3. Mao Asada or Carolina Kostner
    I also have Caroline on the podium. But she recently injured her knee. So I hope it gets better in time for next season.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    almost WON??

no, no, no.
    Yeah, I don't consider Sasha's 2nd in Torino an "almost win" either. She was a whopping 8 points back from Shizuka Arakawa in 1st place! Carolina Kostner's 2nd place from 2008 Worlds was an "almost win" however . . . she was less than 1 point behind Mao Asada in the final standings.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Carolina Kostner's 2nd place from 2008 Worlds was an "almost win" however . . . she was less than 1 point behind Mao Asada in the final standings.
    that would have been a disgrace...honestly. She did not skate that FS well at all. Asada rallied from a scary fall on that 3A attempt to nail the rest of the program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dkyoun View Post
    Hmm… 2A + 2T? Maybe 2A + 3T.

Under-rotation ?
    Since her senior debut, Yu-Na attempted Triple Toe exactly 36 times in 13 competitions.

And the results have been amazing.

Just one UR at Skate Canada in 2006 and consistency is about 97.2 %.

Pokky_oc, If you find any profit clue on your comments, I will present my IAS 2009 ticket to you. It's SR seat and amount about 15,000 Yen.
    Good luck

---------------------------------------------------------
    Back to the topic. My prediction is

Ladies
    1. Yu-Na Kim
    2. Sasha Cohen or Caroline Zhang
    3. Mao Asada or Carolina Kostner

Men
    1. Brian Joubert
    2. Nubunari Oda
    3. Adam Rippon

Pairs
    1. S&S
    2. D&D
    3. M&T

First of all, I wish all the skaters do their best and next the scores or standings come!
    ----------------------------------------
    I'm so sorry! I really meant 2A + 3T! I'm not criticizing her 3T at all! I love Yu-Na Kim! I'll just edit it back... There it's edited to 2A + 3T! You'll see me on TV holding up the sign saying '' Go Mao and Yu-Na '' on the night of the FS since I'm going! Oh, and I also said to '' avoid under-rotation '' in my last post. That's because her 3Lz got DG at the 4CC! At the practice clips, Yu-Na's 3Lz + 3T looks fully rotated and looks pretty consistent!
    Last edited by pokky_oc; 08-03-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by allska View Post
    It is impossible to do, because it is against the Zayak Rule.
    Tell me more about Zayak Rule! Because Mao did 3F + 2Lo + 2Lo and 3F + 2Lo last season... Why can't Yu-Na do the same! If she does another 3F jump with no combo, she'll probably get G.O.E. + 2.0! It's better then repeating 2 single 2A jumps!
    Last edited by pokky_oc; 08-03-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokky_oc View Post
    Tell me more about Zayak Rule! Because Mao did 3F + 2Lo + 2Lo and 3F + 2Lo last season... Why can't Yu-Na do the same! If she does another 3F jump with no combo, she'll probably get G.O.E. + 2.0! It's better then repeating 2 single 2A jumps!
    A skater can repeat only two different kinds of triple jumps. Yu-na Kim already had two triple Lutzes and two triple toes (the second jump in her 3F+3T and 2A+3T combos), so she couldn't also do a second triple flip.

Mao's two repeated jumps were the triple Axel and the triple flip.

About Sasha almost winning in Torino, I think any time a competitor comes in second he or she feels like, "Darn, I almost won. If only that other guy had got hit by a bus on the way to the arena... Not killed, of course, but is a little broken leg too much to ask?"

As somebody put it, if you are good enough to come in second then you are good enough to be disappointed that you didn't come in first.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    As somebody put it, if you are good enough to come in second then you are good enough to be disappointed that you didn't come in first.
    Or in Sasha's case; if you are good enough to come in FIRST, then you are good enough to be REALLY disappointed that you didn't come in first.

Down With It
    If Cohen was good enough to come in first, she would have done so at least once...

I never got the impression she really enjoyed competing. That's why I'm surprised at her comeback attempt.

Custom Title
    Ladies:
    1. Mao Asada
    2. Yu- Na kim
    3. Yukari Nakano
    4. Carolina Kostner
    5. Sasha Cohen
    6. Caroline Zhang
    7. Kiira Korpi
    8. Elene Gedevanishvili
    9. Alexe Gilles
    10. Gwendoline Didier

Men:
    1. Yannick Ponsero
    2. Brian Joubert
    3. Ryan Bradley
    4. Thomas Verner
    5. Nobunari Oda
    6. Alban Preaubert
    7. Sergei Vornov
    8. Adam Rippon
    9. Vaghin Chipers
    10. Javier Fernandez
    11. Chao Yang
    12. Peter Liebers

Pairs:
    1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    2. Mukhortova/Trankov
    3. Dube/Davison
    4 Dong/Wu
    5 Castelli/Shnapir
    6 James/Bonheur
    7 Canac/Coia

Dance:
    1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Pechalat/Bourzat
    3. Kerr/Kerr
    4 Gorshkova/Butikov
    5 Samelson/bates
    6 Rubleva/Shefer
    7 Navarro/Bommentre
    8 Hubbells
    9 Blanc/Bouquet

Custom Title
    For ladies the top 2 are definitely Yuna and Mao, Yukari is the best bet for the 3rd spot on podium. But if Frank Carroll can put a magic touch on Caro, she may surprise us. Biggest ? is Sasha, she screw the first show in Korea but blew everybody away the next day, she's too unpredictable and very inconsistent. But I hope she could medal.

For men, Joubert and Oda are pretty much locked unless they have meltdown. People don't seem to have too much faith in Tomas, I hope he could prove that everybody's wrong. Still think this guy is a Champion material, he has everything, the quad, the 3A, the artistry, great skating skills and he's so entertaining to watch, he just needs to put it together. I hope the next year will be a breakthrough for Tomas.

Down With It
    ...Sasha, she screw the first show in Korea but blew everybody away the next day
    ??? I thought she wasn't there the first day.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by life684 View Post
    Ladies:
    1. Mao Asada
    2. Yu- Na kim
    3. Yukari Nakano
    4. Carolina Kostner
    5. Sasha Cohen
    6. Caroline Zhang
    7. Kiira Korpi
    8. Elene Gedevanishvili
    9. Alexe Gilles
    10. Gwendoline Didier

Men:
    1. Yannick Ponsero
    2. Brian Joubert
    3. Ryan Bradley
    4. Thomas Verner
    5. Nobunari Oda
    6. Alban Preaubert
    7. Sergei Vornov
    8. Adam Rippon
    9. Vaghin Chipers
    10. Javier Fernandez
    11. Chao Yang
    12. Peter Liebers
    For the men, we are probably looking at Brian to win. Adam could finish in front of Ryan to be top American. Thomas will need to get his act together to finish in front of Nobunari.

Caroline suffered a knee injury, so for a while, I would have put her low on the list. But somebody read her Twitter page where she wrote she was back on the ice. If that's the case, I will go back to my old prediction that she will make the podium.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast