On the Ice
Dream Podium
1.Mao Asada
2. Kim Yu-na
3.Sasha Cohen
4.Yukari Nakano
5.Elene Gedevanishvili
6/7.Caroline Zhang/Carolina Kostner.

I'm not a big Kim Yuna fan but if she skates like she can she will most likely win.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Isn't that generally the case? How common is it for someone to miss the podium at one of their Grand Prix events and still make the final?

I don't think it's too rare, especially since skaters with a 4th/1st combination place higher than those with 3rd/2nd combinations in the tie-breaker. Last year, for example, Carolina Kostner, Brian Joubert, and Jeremy Abbott all qualified with one 4th place finish and one win.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I'm so curious as to what jump contents Mao will bring to this competition. Thanks to pocky_oc and okami I saw her practice clips from the off season and the jumps look great! The recent showing at Japan Open worried me a lot so it was encouraging to see.

Not having seen any clips of a 3lz jump, I'm guessins she'll ditch it for the season? If so, what will be the most efficient jump layout do you guys think?

SP
I'd love to see her do 3lp/3lp, 3f, 2axe. Somehow lp/lp seems more promising than f/l, rotation-wise?

LP
I just don't like the two 3axel layout (telegraphing). With her able to do (judging from the clips mentioned above) 3t/3t, 3ft/3l/2l, 3lp/3lp, I have no idea what she'll actually do!

Basics

On the Ice
Well, for ladies it's easy.

1)Yuna Kim (no doubt about it)
2)Carolina Kostner
3)Sasha Cohen

Oh, for Mao, her jumps look really shaky in recent years. Since she doesn't have solid 3-3, 3Lz,3S, it will be really tough for her to climb back up to podium. OMG! Can't wait!!!:love:

for men,
1)Brian Jubert
the rest, I'm not sure. l:laugh:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Easy: Yuna will run away with the gold for sure. 2 and 3rd place will be 4 way battles between Asada, Nakano, Kostner and Cohen. Asada and Nakano needs to work on getting their triple fully roatated. Nakano just injure her shoulder at Japan open, so you don't know what condition is she in. Kostner. Enough said, she is so consistently inconsistent you never know what to expect from her. Cohen, who knows. Will she bring back her triple flip/flutz in or triple splat.

Men: It will be between Brian and Oda and both of them often make silly mistake.

vmfan89

Rinkside
For ladies:
1) Yu-Na Kim
2) Mao Asada
3) Caroline Kostner
4) Yukari Nakano
5) Sasha Cohen
6) Caroline Zhang

For men:
1) Nobunari Oda
2) Brian Joubert
3) Tomas Verner

For pairs:
1) Savchenko/Szolkowy
2) Dubé/Davison
3) Mukhortova/Trankov

Dance
1)Virtue/Moir
2) Kerr/Kerr
3) Pechalat/Bourzat

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
For the men, I will say:

1) Brian
2) Nobunari
3) Adam

For the ladies, I will say:

1) Mao
2) Yu-Na
3) Caroline

Basics

On the Ice
oh,,bad news! Sasha has withdrawn from TEB. I hope she will be in good shape for SA. well, then

for ladies, it will be

1)Yuna Kim
2)Carolina Kostner
3)Caroline Zhang

for men,
1)Brian Jubert
2)Nobunari Oda
3)Thomas Verner

cornell08

Final Flight
I have a feeling Carolina Kostner is going to redeem herself and do very well here. That said.

1) Yu-na Kim

2) Carolina Kostner

3) Caroline Zhang/Mao Asada

Short of injury, I don't see Yuna losing gold.

zartian

Rinkside
Yu-na and Carolina are the only ladies in TEB that can have fully rotated 3-3 combos. Carolina has some inconsisteny issue, but if she is consistent, she will be definitely one of the top ladies! They both have speed, height, distance which will get them good GOE.

The others are somehow behind in their jump qualities. Those who have 3-3 have either underrotation and prerotation problems (e.g. Mao, including her 3 axels) or tiny jumps in terms of height and/or distance (e.g. Caroline, Mao). Some can only do 3-2 combos.

Thus, my predictions:

1. Yu-na Kim
2. Carolina Kostner (if consistent)

The others are hard to decide, but:

3. Mao Asada (Even if her jump quality is not as good, her posture and step sequence is wonderful. Her reputation will do too)

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I don't do prediction threads, or should say predictions usually, superstitious & all that, also when I do I'm never right, lol.:laugh:

That said, I honestly don't want Mao Asada to win anything during the Grand Prix, just hang in there to medal is all. Show she's a contender. Have everybody write her off, like they did Sarah Hughes, lessen the pressure, let it be on someone else. I don't want her to feel like Midori Ito did back in 1998.:frown:

I would rather Mao Asada trail then lead, this goes for EVERY competition that she enters this 2009/2010 season. I want her to come from behind at the finish line, or if she's feeling like Steve Prefontaine, then by all means go ahead & do so. When the moment comes, she's going to have to throw everything she has in her arsenal (like Sarah Hughes did) because Yuna is like Irina Slutskaya, they jump BIG, and 99% of the time they fully rotate their jumps. Thus, to offset that factor Mao has to do more to make up the difference (ala Sarah Hughes). You can do it, you can do it, you can do it...

For the Men here at TEB, may the best man win. No thoughts one way or the other. Ditto pairs.

Dance, I would like to see Samuelson & Bates to sneak in for the bronze, or at least fourth. Have a good outing, a nice showing, enjoy Paris! :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

sodapopped

Spectator
No. I checked and they won't be airing it outside the US and it's protectorates (I'm also in Canada, and was looking forward to it). I know Bold has some Grand Prix coverage during Trophee Eric, but I don't know to what extent.

I think Skatebuzz is streaming it live.