Prediction Thread for Trophée Eric 2009 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Prediction Thread for Trophée Eric 2009

pokky_oc

On the Ice
Hmm… 2A + 2T? Maybe 2A + 3T.

Under-rotation ?
Since her senior debut, Yu-Na attempted Triple Toe exactly 36 times in 13 competitions.

And the results have been amazing.:bow:

Just one UR at Skate Canada in 2006 and consistency is about 97.2 %. :love:

Pokky_oc, If you find any profit clue on your comments, I will present my IAS 2009 ticket to you. It's SR seat and amount about 15,000 Yen.
Good luck :biggrin:

---------------------------------------------------------
Back to the topic. My prediction is

Ladies
1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Sasha Cohen or Caroline Zhang
3. Mao Asada or Carolina Kostner

Men
1. Brian Joubert
2. Nubunari Oda
3. Adam Rippon

Pairs
1. S&S
2. D&D
3. M&T

First of all, I wish all the skaters do their best and next the scores or standings come!
----------------------------------------

I'm so sorry! I really meant 2A + 3T! I'm not criticizing her 3T at all! I love Yu-Na Kim! I'll just edit it back... There it's edited to 2A + 3T! You'll see me on TV holding up the sign saying '' Go Mao and Yu-Na '' on the night of the FS since I'm going! Oh, and I also said to '' avoid under-rotation '' in my last post. That's because her 3Lz got DG at the 4CC! At the practice clips, Yu-Na's 3Lz + 3T looks fully rotated and looks pretty consistent!

Last edited:

pokky_oc

On the Ice
It is impossible to do, because it is against the Zayak Rule.

Tell me more about Zayak Rule! Because Mao did 3F + 2Lo + 2Lo and 3F + 2Lo last season... Why can't Yu-Na do the same! If she does another 3F jump with no combo, she'll probably get G.O.E. + 2.0! It's better then repeating 2 single 2A jumps!

Last edited:
Tell me more about Zayak Rule! Because Mao did 3F + 2Lo + 2Lo and 3F + 2Lo last season... Why can't Yu-Na do the same! If she does another 3F jump with no combo, she'll probably get G.O.E. + 2.0! It's better then repeating 2 single 2A jumps!

A skater can repeat only two different kinds of triple jumps. Yu-na Kim already had two triple Lutzes and two triple toes (the second jump in her 3F+3T and 2A+3T combos), so she couldn't also do a second triple flip.

Mao's two repeated jumps were the triple Axel and the triple flip.

About Sasha almost winning in Torino, I think any time a competitor comes in second he or she feels like, "Darn, I almost won. If only that other guy had got hit by a bus on the way to the arena... Not killed, of course, but is a little broken leg too much to ask?"

As somebody put it, if you are good enough to come in second then you are good enough to be disappointed that you didn't come in first.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
As somebody put it, if you are good enough to come in second then you are good enough to be disappointed that you didn't come in first.

Or in Sasha's case; if you are good enough to come in FIRST, then you are good enough to be REALLY disappointed that you didn't come in first.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If Cohen was good enough to come in first, she would have done so at least once...

I never got the impression she really enjoyed competing. That's why I'm surprised at her comeback attempt.

life684

Final Flight
Ladies:
1. Mao Asada
2. Yu- Na kim
3. Yukari Nakano
4. Carolina Kostner
5. Sasha Cohen
6. Caroline Zhang
7. Kiira Korpi
8. Elene Gedevanishvili
9. Alexe Gilles
10. Gwendoline Didier

Men:
1. Yannick Ponsero :rock:
2. Brian Joubert
3. Ryan Bradley
4. Thomas Verner
5. Nobunari Oda
6. Alban Preaubert
7. Sergei Vornov
8. Adam Rippon
9. Vaghin Chipers
10. Javier Fernandez
11. Chao Yang
12. Peter Liebers

Pairs:
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Mukhortova/Trankov
3. Dube/Davison
4 Dong/Wu
5 Castelli/Shnapir
6 James/Bonheur
7 Canac/Coia

Dance:
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Pechalat/Bourzat
3. Kerr/Kerr
4 Gorshkova/Butikov
5 Samelson/bates
6 Rubleva/Shefer
7 Navarro/Bommentre
8 Hubbells
9 Blanc/Bouquet

ae9177

On the Ice
For ladies the top 2 are definitely Yuna and Mao, Yukari is the best bet for the 3rd spot on podium. But if Frank Carroll can put a magic touch on Caro, she may surprise us. Biggest ? is Sasha, she screw the first show in Korea but blew everybody away the next day, she's too unpredictable and very inconsistent. But I hope she could medal.

For men, Joubert and Oda are pretty much locked unless they have meltdown. People don't seem to have too much faith in Tomas, I hope he could prove that everybody's wrong. Still think this guy is a Champion material, he has everything, the quad, the 3A, the artistry, great skating skills and he's so entertaining to watch, he just needs to put it together. I hope the next year will be a breakthrough for Tomas. :clap:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Ladies:
1. Mao Asada
2. Yu- Na kim
3. Yukari Nakano
4. Carolina Kostner
5. Sasha Cohen
6. Caroline Zhang
7. Kiira Korpi
8. Elene Gedevanishvili
9. Alexe Gilles
10. Gwendoline Didier

Men:
1. Yannick Ponsero :rock:
2. Brian Joubert
3. Ryan Bradley
4. Thomas Verner
5. Nobunari Oda
6. Alban Preaubert
7. Sergei Vornov
8. Adam Rippon
9. Vaghin Chipers
10. Javier Fernandez
11. Chao Yang
12. Peter Liebers

For the men, we are probably looking at Brian to win. Adam could finish in front of Ryan to be top American. Thomas will need to get his act together to finish in front of Nobunari.

Caroline suffered a knee injury, so for a while, I would have put her low on the list. But somebody read her Twitter page where she wrote she was back on the ice. If that's the case, I will go back to my old prediction that she will make the podium.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
That what was everybody thought last year, too - and he finished off the podium. TEB has rarely been good for Brian.

Of 6 appearances, he has 2 silvers and a gold. If he stays injury free, he should do well.
( Of course you can say that about anyone. )

pokky_oc

On the Ice
Hmm... Now I'm going to put Yu-Na Kim in top for this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z-IbHdMP18

She's doing 3A + 2T, 3Lo, 2A, 3F + 3Lo + 2Lo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgqe3dADEb0

Amazing 3S there and 3F + 2Lo + 2Lo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghm2fnQFZqk

Watch from 2:40 onwards on this video, Mao is practicing 3T as her second jump and possibly replacing her 3Lo to avoid under-rotation.

These are nice things but what worries me is that she is going to attempt 3A+3T:frown:
It's going to be so early in the season and it might just not be ready then...

Last edited:

Okami

On the Ice
Mao will not attempt all of those jumps/combinations. She is practicing so many of them because it increases her confidence and she likes to have many options to chose from. Also, doing things like 3T out of half loop, loop, 1A, another 3T helps her improve her technique on the solo jump.

Her best combo in those practice clips was 3L-3L:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLs9EDUcRNU

And here you can see 3T out of a loop entrance and some 3As:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKIq7efUPTE

I doubt she will attempt 3A-3T at TEB - too much at stake.[*] I think she will start with the more safe jump layout, and if she'll put 3A-3T in her programs, it will probably be at GPF or Nationals.

She just said in a conference for Japan Open that she doesn't plan to concentrate on jumps. She plans to do one 3A and concentrate on performance instead.

[*] - JSF has changed the Olympic/World Team qualification rules for the upcoming season. Now they are planning to name the team based on the results from the whole season, not just the Nationals. So it's important for Mao to make GPF.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
Oh! Good then... But I kinda want to see Mao doing 3A+3T!!
She has lots of option since she's very consistent in most of her triples!
3T
3S
3Lo
3F
3A

She's able to do them right? But even so at TEB, I think she should be doing either 3F+3Lo, 3F+3T, 3Lo+3Lo or 3A+2T in the SP! For the FS, I don't know what she's planning, but it'll be amazing!:love::laugh::laugh:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Mao can whip off those triple axels consistently, she will be unstoppable.

Maybe, maybe not. The judges prefer programs that are packed choreographically as Yu-Na Kim and Joannie Rochette have shown. Mao IMO has let her choreography take a back seat to her 3Axel attempts, which is unfortunate. As exciting and dramatic as her LP music was last season, her choreography did not match the music; it was very spare and bland to me. Even with the 3Axels, Mao still has no solid Lutz or Salchow jump from what I've seen of her. Her triple+triple attempts have been known to receive downgrades and negative GOEs from the judges occasionally. One jump alone cannot win a championship is the point I'm making.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The Asada camp sure is talking the talk, eh?

That said, I have no doubt she is capable of doing it. Can she (or will she) attempt the jumps in competition, though, and if so, will she be successful? (I'm thinking of Miki Ando, who tried the Quad jump at the Olympics, fell, and wound up out of the top 10)

Still, this early showdown will set the tone leading up to the Olympic event. At this point, both her and Yuna Kim are the favorites for the OGM.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Still, this early showdown will set the tone leading up to the Olympic event. At this point, both her and Yuna Kim are the favorites for the OGM.

Yes, but when was the last time the favorite won the ladies' gold?

I think it was 1988. :biggrin: