Prediction Thread for Trophée Eric 2009 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Prediction Thread for Trophée Eric 2009

Yes, but when was the last time the favorite won the ladies' gold?

I think it was 1988. :biggrin:

Maybe farther than that. Debi Thomas was at least a co-favorite with Katarina Witt in 1988, while in 1984 Rosalyn Sumners was the defending world champion (Witt was fourth behind Sumners, Claudia Leister and Claudia Leistner and
Elena Vodorezova at 1983 Worlds.)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I thought Ito would've been considered the favourite in 1992.

Was Baiul really not considered the fave? She was the reigning world champion, after all.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
So what you're saying is... that who ever wins the two Grand Prix events and the Final... Will most likely not win the Olympics??

Let me see...

Prediction for now...

TEB: 1. Yu-Na Kim 2. Mao Asada 3. Yukari Nakano/ Caroline Zhang
COR: 1. Mao Asada 2. Miki Ando 3. Alena Leonova/Alissa Czisny
COC: 1.Joannie Rochette 2. Carolina Kostner 3. Rachael Flatt/ Mirai Nagasu
NHK: 1. Miki Ando 2. Yukari Nakano 3. Alena Leonova/ Sarah Meir/ Laura Lepisto
SA: 1. Yu-Na Kim 2. Rachel Flatt 3. Sasha Cohen/ Rachel Flatt
SC: 1. Joannie Rochette 2. Caroline Zhang 3. Mirai Nagasu/ Laura Lepisto

Entries for GPF in Tokyo
Yu-Na Kim
Joannie Rochette
Mao Asada
Miki Ando
Yukari Nakano
Caroline Zhang/ Rachel Flatt

Since it's held in Tokyo...

GPF: 1. Mao Asada 2. Yu-Na Kim 3. Joannie Rochette/ Miki Ando

And Olympics?? Who's the favorite then?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
So what you're saying is... that who ever wins the two Grand Prix events and the Final... Will most likely not win the Olympics??

Interesting point. The Grand Prix Final has been around since 1995. For the first 2 years, it was the Champions Series Final. ( Wikipedia is our friend. )
8 ladies have won the title over 14 seasons.

In those 14 seasons, there have been 3 Winter Olympic Games. Of the the 3 Olympic champions, only Tara was a past Grand Prix Final Champion.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting point. The Grand Prix Final has been around since 1995. For the first 2 years, it was the Champions Series Final. ( Wikipedia is our friend. )
8 ladies have won the title over 14 seasons.

In those 14 seasons, there have been 3 Winter Olympic Games. Of the the 3 Olympic champions, only Tara was a past Grand Prix Final Champion.

well, in that case, I don't think it's been long enough. Had NONE of the OGM's won the GPF then I'd say might be on to something, but I think history indicates that being considered the favorite is a much bigger curse.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
well, in that case, I don't think it's been long enough. Had NONE of the OGM's won the GPF then I'd say might be on to something, but I think history indicates that being considered the favorite is a much bigger curse.

I'm sorry; I've been a lurker for a while now, but I really need to interject in this one.

The point that was made earlier was that being "the favorite" isn't a good indicator of your likelihood of winning the Olympic Gold, NOT that being "the favorite" makes you unlikely to win the Olympic Gold. That is to say, while the original argument was that "A does not necessarily cause B", you now seem to be arguing against the claim (that nobody really made) that "A prevents B".

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Even so, if the same lady ( or any other discipline ) dominates at the Grand Prix, then again at Europeans/4CC, she would have to be considered the heavy favorite at the Olympics. The World Championship is tough to call right now because we don't know who will retire.

One thing we still don't know, and will argue about for the next 5 months, is how much of a cushion a steller GP performance will give the American ladies/men/teams at Nationals. It would be nice if the USFSA would give us a little clarification.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, I do think the ISU should seriously consider ditching the World Championship in Olympic years. Too anticlimactic- plus, the imminent retirements of the top stars mean the upcoming Worlds loses some of the "luster" it would have in non-Oly years.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Actually, I do think the ISU should seriously consider ditching the World Championship in Olympic years. Too anticlimactic- plus, the imminent retirements of the top stars mean the upcoming Worlds loses some of the "luster" it would have in non-Oly years.

For some sports, like gymnastics, the Olympics are considered the World Championships for that year.

Besides, the ISU president put out a statement a few months back that the stars from the Olympics would be at the World Championship. I am not really sure how he is going to arrange that. Maybe he will sign an order that the medalists can't retire for two months. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
For some sports, like gymnastics, the Olympics are considered the World Championships for that year.

Yeah, I know- and I'm suggesting that figureskating should be the same way as well.

I wasn't aware of Cinquanta's statement. He can't make the skaters show up if they're planning to retire anyway.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
Even so, if the same lady ( or any other discipline ) dominates at the Grand Prix, then again at Europeans/4CC, she would have to be considered the heavy favorite at the Olympics.

Yep... It's kinda bad been the favorite at the Olympics:scratch:
More pressure!!!

So for Yu-Na Kim and Mao Asada it's their first Olympics!
Miki Ando and Joannie Rochette both went to the Olympics before!!

Would this have something to do with the pressure or anything?

antmanb

Record Breaker
(I'm thinking of Miki Ando, who tried the Quad jump at the Olympics, fell, and wound up out of the top 10)

To be fair though it wasn't just the fall on the quad that cost Miki - it was the other falls, pops and stubles leading to IIRC one clean triple jump in the LP that led to Miki dropping down to something like 15th in the LP.

Oh i don't know I quite like the worlds after Olympics because it lets a slightly depleted field show who the hungry youngsters are. It also shows who the true Olympic Champions are who have the balls to "tarnish" the Olympic gold by showing up and proving they are the undisputed best (like Yagudin!).

I seem to recall Carlo Fassi "forbidding" John Curry from competing at the 1976 worlds lest he tarnish his gold. Curry went anyway and won!

Ant

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I seem to recall Carlo Fassi "forbidding" John Curry from competing at the 1976 worlds lest he tarnish his gold. Curry went anyway and won!
Ant

Kristi did that after her Olympic win in 1992. After Sarah won in 2002, she came back and skated a few events to show that her win was not a fluke.............

................. unfortunately, it was. :eek:

fairly4

Medalist
the only thing kristi skated in was world, she had to get the money --why --before tonya & nancy, it was known if you really wanted anything (endorsement, etc) you had to go to worlds to get the things.

as far as sarah win 2002 a fluke (it was) what did she win, barring crest championship which was given to sasah, sarah didn't win anything.
yes she skated good but not well, she stated she wouldn't skate like she did in the olympics (it was a decent skate ). in my opinion she needed to win something, alas she didn't she came back (with injury) on hip--something.
her win was a bit of a fluke in my opinion--not in all alot of others though.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
the only thing kristi skated in was world, she had to get the money --why --before tonya & nancy, it was known if you really wanted anything (endorsement, etc) you had to go to worlds to get the things.

I don't think so. As a general rule, the Olympic games mean more for product endorsements than world championships. How often do we watch events at the Olympics that we never watch at any other time?

fairly4

Medalist
polymerbob

krist even stated she had to wait for worlds to get her stuff, before tonya & nancy alot of the top level elite skaters--stated they had to wait for world for it to come in.
if that wasn't the case then --most of the skaters--would have skipped world-(before tonya and nancy)and collected the money, endorsement etc because they didn't have the money coming in before hand. they had to pay off their debt and parents. some of them even stated when the money was coming in-if it came in back than like it does now --they would have stayed in.
the winners went to worlds for their own reasons, but especially the women stayed in for worlds to get their things. she she would have got some-but maybe not as much without their world title or 2nd , 3rd etc.
worlds helped them acheived much more than if they didn't go.