Prediction Thread for Trophée Eric 2009 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Prediction Thread for Trophée Eric 2009

enlight78

Medalist
Possible TEB results based on 08-09 season statistics.

Mens and ladeis base on average score

Ladies(rounded)

1 Kim 194
2 Asada 186
3 Nakano 167
4 Zhang 164
5 Kostner 162

Mens
1 Joubert 231
2 Oda 226
3 Pruebert 218
4 Verner 215
5 Ponsero 210
6 Rippon 202

Mens and Ladies results based on Seasons Best

Ladies
1 Kim 207.71
2 Asada 201.87
3 Zhang 175.68
4 Nakano 172.63
5 Kostner 170.72

Mens
1 Joubert 237.09
2 Oda 236.18
3 Verner 231.71
4 Preuburt 222.44
5 Rippon 222.00
6 Ponsero 219.3

Final Prediction

Kim
Asada
Zhang(dark horse Sasha for bronze)

Joubert
Oda
Verner(Dark horses Preuburt,Rippon,Ponsero for bronze)

There's no question about it:

Joubert, Preaubert, and Ponsero on the podium in some sort of order. I have spoken. ;)

The Ladies: Didier, TBA, and Gilles :clap: What a shocker that would be.

beep_beep

Medalist
There's no question about it:

Joubert, Preaubert, and Ponsero on the podium in some sort of order. I have spoken. ;)

The Ladies: Didier, TBA, and Gilles :clap: What a shocker that would be.

Preaubert :rock: (I like that dude...)

As for Didier, after that crash at worlds and finishing her program, she has to have some good karma coming at her...

As for predictions... I won't dare doing any :laugh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Preaubert :rock: (I like that dude...)

As for Didier, after that crash at worlds and finishing her program, she has to have some good karma coming at her...

As for predictions... I won't dare doing any :laugh:

Wrong Didier. Gwendoline Didier is competing at TEB. Last year, Gwendoline was the one who kept Emily Hughes from finishing last at TEB.

Candice Didier was the one who crashed at Worlds but came back to finish her program. Candice is scheduled to compete at Rostelecom (she might also get the TBA spot at TEB).

beep_beep

Medalist
Wrong Didier. Gwendoline Didier is competing at TEB. Last year, Gwendoline was the one who kept Emily Hughes from finishing last at TEB.

Candice Didier was the one who crashed at Worlds but came back to finish her program. Candice is scheduled to compete at Rostelecom (she might also get the TBA spot at TEB).

Ooops, my bad...:eek:

but if she's th TBA... then it works... :p

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
With most of the ladies, you can make some sort of a guess on how they will do based on last season. Sasha will be a total mystery here. I have no idea how she will do. Everyone is assuming Mao and Yu-Na will be on top, and they probably will be. But Sasha could surprise us. And I noticed the international judges are starting to feel warm and fuzzy about Caroline. So I just don't know.

Last edited:
With most of the ladies, you can make some sort of a guess on how they will do based on last season. Sasha will be a total mystery here. I have no idea how she will do. Everyone is assuming Mao and Yu-Na will be on top, and they probably will be. But Sasha could surprise us. And I noticed the international judges are starting feel warm and fuzzy about Caroline. So I just don't know.
Not bashing Sasha, but one has to realize that most scoring points are on the Tech side, although Sasha will get good levels for Spirals and spins. Unless Mao and YuNa have meltdowns those two will be 1st and 2nd in some order. 3rd place will be up for grabs with Kostner, Cohen, Flatt and Nakano. For me, prediction is out of the question, but to watch this for the bronze medal will be a hoot.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not bashing Sasha, but one has to realize that most scoring points are on the Tech side, although Sasha will get good levels for Spirals and spins. Unless Mao and YuNa have meltdowns those two will be 1st and 2nd in some order. 3rd place will be up for grabs with Kostner, Cohen, Flatt and Nakano. For me, prediction is out of the question, but to watch this for the bronze medal will be a hoot.

That's not bashing, not even close. But you're right on. I have a feeling this one will be decided in the SP.

Bruin714

On the Ice
Ladies
1. Yuna
2. Mao
3. Caroline, Sasha, Yukari(my hope)

Men
1. Joubert
2. Oda
3. Verner, Poncero

Very suprised to see Mao vs. Yuna at the first competion of the GPs.

This reminds me of Skate America 1997 - Kwan vs. Lipinski. In her debut of Lyra Angelica, Kwan toppled the reigning world champion Lipinski. But Lipinski got her revenge at the Olympics. =(

If this holds, Yuna is our next Olympic Champion.

Bruin714

On the Ice
That's not bashing, not even close. But you're right on. I have a feeling this one will be decided in the SP.

If this is decided in the short program, I suspect Cohen has a great chance, is she can just skate a clean short, she may be in 2nd or 3rd after the short program. That'll be tough for her, but her specialty was the short program - time and time again she was able to focus for the 2:40.

Prediction: Her earned PCSs in the short program will carry over and her mistakes in the long will not be magnified and she'll hold onto third.

Since reputation is still paramount in figure skating, she'll need be 3rd or 4th here to squeeze into the B group (Rochette, Ando, Nakano). Otherwise she might get stuck in the C group (too many names to list).

If she splats in the short, then she'll end up 5th or lower.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cohen hasn't competed recently. it is IMPOSSIBLE to predict where she will end up. The 2006 results (including how she performed SPs and LPs typically) are now completely irrelevant.

After the SP, she could be anywhere from 2nd to 7th. (Unless YuNa withdraws I seriously don't see her in 1st) The FS is anyone's guess.

But honestly, I think the most likely outcome for Cohen is WD.

Sasha's SPs have always been special and very often have her in 1st place even in Calgary Worlds, but she makes foolish mistakes in the LPs to drag her out of a gold medal. It's almost a given.

If Sasha wins or places second in TEB, it will be the biggest upset in the history of the GPs, and it is only one event.

Problem is no one has actually seen her skate competitively. I hoping someone who lives near Arrowhead stops by and takes a peek as her practices and reports without any pro or anti bias.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Sure, why not.

Pairs
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Dube/Davison
3. Mukhortova/Trankov

While S/S don't really need to be explained, I think the fact that D/D have had a massive headstart on their long program combined with M/T generally having difficulty with the long is the reason I'm going with these placements.

Hopes: That D/D really do well. They show us that they can add the technical difficulty they'll need to do well this upcoming season and that keeping their long wasn't a mistake. Also that Bonheur and James do well (are they eligible to compete at the Olympics? Does she have French citizenship?)

Dance
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Pechalat/Bourzat
3. Kerr/Kerr

I'm curious if Samuelson/Bates can make a charge for third, or if their ascension will be post Olympics.

Hopes: That Pechalat/Bourzat come up with a routine I like. I loathed their circus free dance last year to the point where I'm pretty sure I underrated the skating. I just didn't get it. Also, that the Hubbells bring it.

Mens
1. Brian Joubert
2. Tomas Verner
3. Nobunari Oda

You know, for all the focus on the women's, I think this is an equally challenging field. While I think if Joubert/Verner/Oda skate their best they'll be the podium, I think Rippon, Preaubert, and Ponsero are virtually tied (their personal bests last season come within three points of each other), with Voronov and Chipeur within striking distance if/when one falters. I'm ranking Joubert first simply because I think he feels he has something to prove after Worlds.

Hopes: That Chipeur brings it. That second slot in Canadian men's seems to be wide open and of the contenders, I'm rooting for him the most. Also that Rippon has a good senior grand prix debut.

Womens
1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Yukari Nakano

Kim and Asada are one-two for obvious reasons (at this early point, knowing absolutely nothing about their programs/health etc). Nakano's just a gut feeling. I don't think Kostner will be able to overcome her issues quickly enough to challenge for a medal in this field; Cohen's been away for so long that I can't imagine her being hugely successful... so it's between Nakano and Zhang, and I think the former will do it.

Hopes: That Asada and Kim tie. Could you imagine the reaction from their fanbases if that happened?

The thing I noticed about Samuelson and Bates, is that he has stepped up his game and has taken charge of the team. I know some people think because of Women's Lib that the female could also take the lead in a dance couple, I take the view that the Follow in dance is equally important. Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did and she did it backwards and in heels. He would not have looked as good if she was not capable of that.

IMO, nothing worse than Barbara FP pushing Masimo around except for comedy.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
ImaginaryPogue, wow! I don't know if I'm brave enough to predict TEB in such detail ;). A belated welcome to GS, I'm sure by now you've been told to post often, post long?

Let's see how much of last year's TEB prediction I can recycle; here's what I wrote last November:
I predict the following:
1. D/S will win in the dance, because they are D/S and it's in France.
Well, Isabelle wins in real life, but obviously this one is not happening. So, I'll take a risk: Nathalie and Fabian do something wacky/innovative and win by a hair(clip)!
2. Mao will win the ladies, for every obvious reason you can think of.
Could happen. You know what? I'll stick with this one, even with Yu-Na skating in Paris this time.
3. John Kerr will look good in his kilt (in the EX).
Hard to say if they'll do the same EX again. They're already on record as saying they will not do it as their OD; they're threatening to have music that's never been used in ice dance.
4. People will take issue with the PCS of whatever skater they happen to dislike as being too high, and the PCS for their favorite being too low.
This is always true!

I consider these four predictions the safest possible bets for TEB, unless John and Sinead do a different exhibition number.
Well, obviously with the quality and depth of the field this year, there are fewer sure things. I will make one prediction: Brian Joubert will not do a 1T as his SP "combination" this time.

I'm seriously considering going this year, BTW. I am currently in search of a victim who might consider giving up a few vacation days to go to Paris with me :biggrin:.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Men:

1. Nobunari Oda (given he's comfy with his new 4T+3T friend by the time)
2. Brian Joubert (see NB)
3. Tomas Verner

NB: There's a chance for Joubert to WD, if he bombs in September's Masters, i.e. loses to Ponsero, Preaubert and Amodio and needs more time to work on his fancy free program and costume. But he'll be OK toward the end of the season.