Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Sasha Gets 2 Grand Prix - SA and TEB

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I dont know where all this emphasis on GP is coming from? Is it from newer skating fans? If Caroline is GP champion and skates poorly at nationals her goose is cooked. If Rachael wins Natls, Sasha comes second then Caroline will not get to Vancouver. Have I missed something? Seriously, I have watched skating for a long time and strong showing at Natls is the way you make the team.
    Last year, the USFSA put out a bulletin that Nationals will not be the only deciding factor in choosing the Olympic team. Four international competitions will also be considered. One of them is the Grand Prix Final.

It's one thing to put out a bulletin. Selecting the Olympic team is quite another.

My feelings about Rules are that a committee can eek out those portions that fit their crime, and avoid those that negate what they want. And they will still be on the legal side. They can also make up new ones on the spot to satisfy their decisions. Am I not a cynic?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    My feelings about Rules are that a committee can eek out those portions that fit their crime, and avoid those that negate what they want. And they will still be on the legal side. They can also make up new ones on the spot to satisfy their decisions. Am I not a cynic?
    Actually, Joesitz, I was wondering. If the USFSA decides they want particular skaters on the Olympic team, could they jury rig National results to fit their decision? If a skater really tears up the Grand Prix, a 92 degree underrotation at Nationals could really look like 88 degrees. Was that a wrong edge? No, it looked OK to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Actually, Joesitz, I was wondering. If the USFSA decides they want particular skaters on the Olympic team, could they jury rig National results to fit their decision? If a skater really tears up the Grand Prix, a 92 degree underrotation at Nationals could really look like 88 degrees. Was that a wrong edge? No, it looked OK to me.
    Of course they can. It would be incredibly easy for them to do exactly what you said. Nationals last year was a great example.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Don't older skaters like Sasha and Johnny deserve another shot - if they can earn it on the ice?.
    Pardon? Johnny Weir isn't coming off a 3.5 year retirement from competition. Without rehashing the whole "should he have gone to Korea" argument, Johnny Weir has competed and placed well the last 2 seasons up until Nationals 2009. He bombed in Cleveland. But he wasn't given GP assignments on a platter just by asking.

Custom Title
    Weir was a GPF medalist last season, was 8th on the ISU Ranking list and 9th on the Seasons Best list. That's how he earned his two GP slots for this coming season.

Between the fall of 2006 until now, Johnny competed in 6 GP events and earned 6 medals: 2 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze and made it to 2 GPFs. During the same time period, Sasha has skated in SOI and hasn't competed anywhere. So you can hardly compare Weir with Cohen. Sasha's been away for 3.5 years, while Johnny's been at most of the dances.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Weir was a GPF medalist last season, was 8th on the ISU Ranking list and 9th on the Seasons Best list. That's how he earned his two GP slots for this coming season.

Between the fall of 2006 until now, Johnny competed in 6 GP events and earned 6 medals: 2 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze and made it to 2 GPFs. During the same time period, Sasha has skated in SOI and hasn't competed anywhere. So you can hardly compare Weir with Cohen. Sasha's been away for 3.5 years, while Johnny's been at most of the dances.
    Well said and I completely agree.

On the Ice
    I don't find it very fair that Sasha got two events myself but she didn't give them to herself. She knew by hinting she wanted two events she would get exactly that but like someone said, 18 spots overall means everyone will be getting some competition.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4