Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sasha Gets 2 Grand Prix - SA and TEB

Custom Title
    Once again, Sasha is just following through with everything she stated from the get go.

Example: Sasha said in her official comeback announcement that she would like to get a second GP assignment in order to get the much needed experience, and she got it. Likewise, Plushenko only wanted COR, he got it. No big mystery. The skaters express their individual wishes to their separate federations & hope for the best. In this case, it worked out for both just fine & dandy.

Now the big long wait throughout the summer to hear bits & pieces of all the skaters programs, elements, costumes, music, et al, until F-I-N-A-L-L-Y the start of th season. Boy is it gonna be a looooooong hot summer.:boohoo:

Tripping on the Podium
    I wasn't saying things in particular, Janet. Actually, I don't mind skaters coming back as I know it's in their hearts to skate, just as long as they can prove that they are competitive after a time of absence. And I do feel the current skaters should be supported and encouraged, as they are skating for their respective country.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wishmaker View Post
    I wasn't saying things in particular, Janet. Actually, I don't mind skaters coming back as I know it's in their hearts to skate, just as long as they can prove that they are competitive after a time of absence. And I do feel the current skaters should be supported and encouraged, as they are skating for their respective country.
    Well said!

Custom Title
    Actually with 18 spots for US ladies this season, I don't feel any skater is taking away any other skater's place. But the arrangement of the GP is totally another story.

Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Obvious, Janetfan does not remember my posts saying Sasha will get 2 GPs and ensuing onslaught that said it's against the rules. Well it was against the rules, and will the ISU give reasons why? No, it wont, and the rule will stand, and breaking the rule will be forgotten. No?

It seems it will be accepted - if not forgotten by most,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I already am forgetting.
    In fact I doubt if I will remember this post 30 minutes from now but I get the feeling someone will remind me of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gocaroline View Post
    Actually with 18 spots for US ladies this season, I don't feel any skater is taking away any other skater's place. But the arrangement of the GP is totally another story.

Your name here would lead me to believe you are not thrilled with Caroline's GP assignments. All I can say is that I hope Caroline has a great performance at Natls and gets a ticket to Vancouver. She is my favorite US skater.

Quote Originally Posted by wishmaker View Post

I enjoy your messages wishmaker. I was wondering what this one means though. Are you suggesting some skaters are skating for their country and others are only skating for themselves? Perhaps that is true to an extent but I am sure Caroline, Mirai, Rachael, etc along with Sasha all want to do well for themselves.
    I have no idea which of them might be the most patriotic.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-01-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Custom Title
    that is easy, zhen and Zhao are world champs,they have competed since 1995 i think and it took them a while like 8 years to medal. and not from the us. also they got rooked out of a world title in 1999. they had to do it the hard way.
    sasha got givens (cheated ) overlooked her mistakes from novice on up and they pushed her in front of other skaterssince she was 15 . Sasha the next big thing.
    Sasha complained that Michelle was too old and she should get out to make way for the younger skaters. now Sasha doing the same thing, but instead of staying out and making way for the younger skaters. She wants to keep the younger skaters down and out. She has oversize ego problem (in my opinion).
    Zhen Zhao didn't come across that way
    evengeny only got 1

Sasha has said and did things off of the ice to make it difficult not to keep neutral and the USFSA and older skaters back her to the hilt at the expense of other skaters and the USFSA is still doing it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Your name here would lead me to believe you are not thrilled with Caroline's GP assignments. All I can say is that I hope Caroline has a great performance at Natls and gets a ticket to Vancouver. She is my favorite US skater.
    Same here Let's think maybe Caroline's GP assignment is acutally a blessing in disguise, coming to think of it, National will be so much easier if Caroline survives TEB with decent performance.

Quote Originally Posted by gocaroline View Post
    Same here Let's think maybe Caroline's GP assignment is acutally a blessing in disguise, coming to think of it, National will be so much easier if Caroline survives TEB with decent performance.

Don't you think Caroline could win SC? Or atleast get 2nd? It won't be easy but Joannie has not exactly been the world's most consistent skater over her career.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Don't you think Caroline could win SC? Or atleast get 2nd? It won't be easy but Joannie has not exactly been the world's most consistent skater over her career.

Yes you are right Janetfan I was just so focused at TEB. Caroline definitely has great chance to medal or win the SC

Custom Title
    If Caroline can get to the Final with her schedule, she will have her ticket to Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    If Caroline can get to the Final with her schedule, she will have her ticket to Vancouver.
    She would need a good amount of luck at both of her events. She needs at least 4th at TEB to have any chance, period. (If luck is really on her side, perhaps 3rd is possible, but not likely).

Then at SC, she can probably manage 2nd, which might be enough if she somehow got 3rd at TEB. But if she didn't, she would have to win SC. And after last season, I don't see Joannie faltering...

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I dont know where all this emphasis on GP is coming from? Is it from newer skating fans? If Caroline is GP champion and skates poorly at nationals her goose is cooked. If Rachael wins Natls, Sasha comes second then Caroline will not get to Vancouver. Have I missed something? Seriously, I have watched skating for a long time and strong showing at Natls is the way you make the team.
    How about this scenario, Caroline wins GP title. At Natls Mirai wins, Sasha is second and Rachel is third. How does GP champ get to Vancouver under that scenario. It has never happened that way and wont this year either. I would bet my house that skaters who place 1 and 2 at Natl will be the team. Possible outside chance that Sasha could come in 3 and be named to team. But not Caroline or the other young ones.
    That is why all the crying about Johnny last year was nuts. His strong showing early in the GP did nothing for him when it came to making Natl. team.
    If I am wrong I hope someone will explain it to me. I never knew GP carrried more than a slight (10-15 %) weight on deciding Natl team. It used to carry nothing which is the way it should be due to the GP draw being such a crap shoot. Talk about a ridiculous barometer for picking an Olympic team!

Tripping on the Podium
    Now I know why this sport is called Figure Skating---------FIGURE IT OUT SKATING. It's gonna be a longgggggggg time until the GP, so there will be a lot of Brain Twisting, figure it out skating forums...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast