Americans in the GPFinal | Golden Skate

Americans in the GPFinal

enlight78

Medalist
In singles it looks like the only skaters that have a good chance of making it to the GPF is Evan, Racheal, and Caroline. Racheal and Caroline would need some luck. I think Evan got some easy gps this year but I also thought that last year. It depends if the quad and the 3A gives him trouble again.

In Pairs I don't know. M/B haven't been looking promising lately.

And dance. B/A and D/W should be able to make it.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Caroline has it extremely rough. If she places 4th at TEB, she would need to beat Joannie at SC for gold to qualify. If she places 3rd at TEB, she would need to either win or place second with a very high score at SC to qualify.
TEB is so packed that less "deserving" skaters might qualify for GPF, and more deserving ones might miss out just as Joannie was robbed of a spot two seasons ago.
Rachel has a very good chance at placing second at both of her event (I don't know how competitive Mirai and Sasha would be).

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Rachael has the best chance. Caroline and Sasha have about equal chances behind Rachael, i.e. not that high given that only 6 ladies go to the GPF, and four of them are almost definitely Yun-a, Mao, Joannie and Miki. Those 4 ladies are pretty much locks on gold and some silvers for their events. That helps us a bit, since then we probably only need silver + bronze to make the other 2 slots.

I'd say the odds are strong that one American lady will make the GPF.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I'd say the odds are strong that one American lady will make the GPF.

And like you said, that lady will most likely be Rachael Flatt.

It just sucks that nobody will take into consideration that Caroline's events were much harder. They'll just see that it was Rachael who made the GPF and therefore she must be our top lady. And you can't really compare scores across events either...

And like you said, that lady will most likely be Rachael Flatt.

It just sucks that nobody will take into consideration that Caroline's events were much harder.

Yeah, the USFSA really cooked Caroline's goose by not selecting her as a host pick for Skate America.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doesn't Ashley stand a good shot? Seems like she could get a 3rd and a 2nd to me.

Russia was very savvy in their selections, obviously hoping to boost the chances of Leonova making the final. Obviously, Asada and Ando would have the upper hand at Rostelecom. The 3 American ladies and Leonova would all be in contention for bronze. But Leonova has the home ice advantage, and ISU judges have historically been kinder to Czisny than to Wagner. So Wagner has a chance at bronze---but not a great chance. Silver seems out of reach here.

At NHK, Ando and Nakano look to be the top competitors, and Lepisto has always been well rewarded by the ISU judges, especially in the PCS scores. Leonova is a key competitor as well, and if Meier's injury has healed, she can be a medal contender as well. Wagner's chance for bronze isn't any better at NHK than it would be at CoR, and again silver seems beyond her grasp.

At best, Wagner might possibly win 2 bronze medals, but that wouldn't likely qualify her for the final.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am not really expecting any american ladies to be there. I expect both Davis/White and Belibin/Agosto to make it, Johnny and Evan should also both be there, if they both skate both events. McLaughlin/Brubaker might pull up as well, but the addition of Shen/Zhao will hurt them.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Johnny has Chan, Kozuka and Plushenko at COR, plus Brandon Mroz, who beat Johnny at Nationals. Then he has Joubert, Kozuka, Takahashi and Abbott in Japan. Even if he only made one fourth place and one Bronze, it would be pretty good.

It would be nice to see how they are all doing after the 2009 World Championships. It could make one's predictions more meaningful.

Yeah, the USFSA really cooked Caroline's goose by not selecting her as a host pick for Skate America.
In hindsight, SA would have been better for Caroline. What I found interesting is that the USFS chose Suguri over Nakano. Apparently to make SA an easier event for someone. Who?

shallwedansu

On the Ice
In hindsight, SA would have been better for Caroline. What I found interesting is that the USFS chose Suguri over Nakano. Apparently to make SA an easier event for someone. Who?
Isn't the answer obvious? The U.S. ladies.

Is it just me, but across the board for the 6 federations hosting, doesn't it seem like SA has made it the easiest for its own skaters to do well? Pairs is probably the most competitive field for US skaters to land on the podium. In all other disciplines, it's practically guaranteed a US skater will at least get silver, if not gold.

What I found interesting is that the USFS chose Suguri over Nakano.

That's the part we will never know. Maybe Skate America wanted Nakano, but two other federations picked her first. Maybe nobody wanted Nakano, but whoever picked last got stuck with her.

Eric Bompard, by the way, was very happy to take all the top ladies in the World. It makes their event a blockbuster, and Candice Didier was not going to win anything anyway.

Enlight said:
Our Ice Princess Sasha.

The funny thing is that it is Fumie, not Yukari, who was Sasha's nemisis throughout her career.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
On a good day, Jeremy Abbott can beat the best in the world. On a bad day ................ well.
He, Evan and Johnny are the three best chances for U.S. men.

fairly4

Medalist
Yes i believe it might be Rachel, Ashley because they have easier GP assignments,
Alissa and Kimmie and Mirai might also sneak in due to easier Gp Assignments.

I would like to see Caroline in the GPF ,but she is in the same ones as last year where they kept her down,(purposely in my opinion) unless she is judged fairly or better than last year I don't see how. lets just say i am not keeping my hopes up/out for fair judging.