Michelle: Will She Return? | Golden Skate

Michelle: Will She Return?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sasha is back. Plushy is back. S/Z are back. Now what about Michelle?
Will she accept the tba slot at SA? If so, how long does she have to decide? Someone said May 30 was the deadline - but that obviously does not apply to a skater of Michelle's stature.
If Michelle does return, what is motivating her? Is it the fact that she is skating again without pain? Or does she think she can get that 10th US Title? Is it one last shot at OGM?
I was sure Michelle would stay retired from competitive skating and was getting back in shape to make a few Gala appearances. Many of her fans would love to see that. But does anybody think Michelle has a realistic chance of competing against Yuna and Mao? Can she comeback and win Nationals one last time?
Will she return - and if so why?

jennylovskt

Medalist
She didn't get Olympic gold in the height of her skating career. What would she gain if she comes back? I don't think it's a good idea for her to come back, even for the Nationals. Oh, well, another round of same discussion.:biggrin:

To me, if she returns, I'll have worry way over excitement.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
She didn't get Olympic gold in the high of her skating career. What would she gain if she comes back? I don't think it's a good idea for her to come back, even for the Nationals. Oh, well, another round of same discussion.:biggrin:

That's a good point - but it might be very possible for Michelle to win US Natls as opposed to an Olympic medal.
I tend to agree with you though and can't find a good or strong motive for Michelle to comeback. I recently read an interview with Irina and when asked about returning she said something like, "Why? I have nothing to prove and I am satisfied with my career." I liked Irina's answer - and wonder why Michelle is not feeling that way?

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Are Shen/Zhao definitely back? If so, wow, that will make for an exciting pairs event!

I hope Michelle will come back, but only if she can be competitive.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I recently read an interview with Irina and when asked about returning she said something like, "Why? I have nothing to prove and I am satisfied with my career." I liked Irina's answer - and wonder why Michelle is not feeling that way?

She is not?

janetfan

Match Penalty
She is not?

The fact that she is in training and wanting to return could suggest Michelle is not satisfied and still has more to prove - to herself.
But there could be other reasons and Michelle may be very happy with her great career. I liked Irina's answer - and do wonder what may be driving a comeback from Michelle.

John King

Final Flight
I have no idea. But in the event that she doesn't, why don't we all just give her a big Thank you for entertaining us throughout the years, as well as being both the public name and face for Ladies figure skating, and last but not least, being such an excellent role model for children. She's certainly earned her stripes, and we all love her for it. If retirement is the most likely option, let her exit with a smile on her face.

backspin

On the Ice
I'm hoping she might return to skating by touring again--SOI would be a wonderful place for her. I'm sad she never got to have a pro career, maybe that's what she wants now? I hope so!

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm hoping she might return to skating by touring again--SOI would be a wonderful place for her. I'm sad she never got to have a pro career, maybe that's what she wants now? I hope so!

When I heard Michelle was training again I thought that she was getting in shape to do SOI or maybe a few Gala appearances. As a long time fan I was happy to hear that. Maybe the buzz that she is planning to return to competitive skating are just rumors. Still, when asked by NBC at Natls Michelle neither denied or confirmed her intentions. Perhaps she is not sure herself at this point and is taking time to evaluate her progress and how she is feeling physically.
Whatever she decides will be fine with me. Like John King said, I thank her for all the great moments and memories she gave us and wish her well in skating and in all her endeavors.

Ah, the mysterious Michelle! :love: Don't let the left hand know what the right hand is doing, keep 'em guessing, and always leave 'em wanting more. :agree:

About the May 30 deadline for Michelle to decide whether she would or would not drop a vague hint into the ear of the USFSA about her intentions -- either she did or she didn't. Either way, that was enough for the USFSA to hold a Skate America spot open for TBA.

About Michelle neither confirming or denying anything during her TV stint at Worlds, what I got out of that was a clear sense that either she was or was not seriously considering a comeback attempt, and subsequently either would or would not resume serious training -- at some future date, maybe.

About her motives for possibly wanting to come back, either she does or does not care about trying for a record tenth U.S. nationals title, either she does or does not care a fig about the Olympics, either she does or does not agree with Irina's views -- or maybe she will run for Congress instead.

I love this girl! :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks so much for sharing your insights mm. I think I have a handle on this now and if I don't I can't blame you unless I can but I am not sure.

^ Actually, for the last three years I didn’t think there was a chance in the world that Michelle would ever come back to competition, or want to. Been there, done that. Moving on…

Nor did I want her to. The world is bigger than figure skating. Go forth, Grasshopper, and make your mark! :laugh:

But now that the time is here -- I don’t know -- just the sheer coolness of the possibly of Michelle coming back and whupping up on these wet-behind-the-ears pretenders has got me going again. :yes:

Could she score 200+ points like Yu-na Kim and Mao Asada? Um…no. Could she just possibly, just maybe, win U.S. nationals? That would be so amazing that at the moment I don’t want to think about whether it is a realistic dream or not.

But the other side of me says, Michelle has lived her youthful dream. Rachael, Caroline, Mirai and the rest have dreams, too.

fairly4

Medalist
Actually , I agree with you mathman.
However unfortunately
I Believe Sasha isn't going to let the younger skaters dream theirs.
I don't believe Michelle is going to come back.

but the USFSA put TBA on Skate America after they asked her about a
diplomatic assignment which she turned down.
That tells me the USFSA doesn't want Michelle back and the THEY want Michelle to be blame for the mess they created by allowing sasha two gp events.

gkelly

Record Breaker
How would you feel if Michelle returned to US Nationals, showed off her edges and maturity and connection with her fans, had strong choreography, and showed she could still land some difficult triples . . . and finished, oh, say, sixth?

Would that be satisfying for fans?

Would that be satisfying for Michelle? Only she knows the answer to that question, but I'm sure the possibility has to factor into her decisions.

I really think the bad hip took a psychological toll on MK and that is very understandable. If one is unable to do his best because of an impairment, why go for it? Think Lambiel also, another great skater whose knees just wont be at their best. Why skated, Both skaters have multiple World Championships.

But the other side of me says, Michelle has lived her youthful dream. Rachael, Caroline, Mirai and the rest have dreams, too.
This is the kind of argument I hate. Yeah, others have dreams, but they're not the legendary Michelle Kwan. They haven't earned anything like what she's earned. The whole world would be agog to see if she could pull off this comeback.

Personally I don't think she can and I don't want to watch her pant and struggle. I would personally rather watch the young 'uns develop. But if Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan got to try it, so should Kwan. It has nothing to do with being nice or fair to the kiddies. It's all about who's the best. The kiddies have to earn it.

I don't mean to be disrespectful by calling the teenagers "kiddies" but there is a parental overtone in some views on this subject. As if skating competitions were birthday parties where all the children must be invited so no one gets their feelings hurt. Pshaw!

Anyway, my answer to the q is, I hope not. But she has the right.

Mathman said:

This is the kind of argument I hate. Yeah, others have dreams, but they're not the legendary Michelle Kwan. They haven't earned anything like what she's earned. The whole world would be agog to see if she could pull off this comeback.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I am saying, the younger skaters have dreams, too, and I hope Michelle steps aside and gives them their day in the spotlight.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I am saying, the younger skaters have dreams, too, and I hope Michelle steps aside and gives them their day in the spotlight.
I don't think I misunderstood. I'm saying Kwan had dreams and earned her time in the spotlight with all kinds of wins. The others have dreams but.... you want to reward them for the dreams.

I don't want anyone who's great to step aside for the next generation. I want to see who's greatest and if the younger generation never reaches the podium - well, that just shows they're not the greatest. Boo-hoo! I hope and assume they're big-souled enough to have enjoyed the ride and learned a lot.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Well, they would all have to compete against each other. Kwan can probably get to Nationals without thwarting anyone else's dream of competing at Nationals. As for a spot on the Olympic team, I trust that what happens on the ice *at* Nationals will have more effect on who gets named to the team than anybody's past legendary status.

Whether Kwan competes or not, whether Cohen competes or not, either way there will be US girls who are good enough to go the Olympics who will not have the opportunity because others were better and there are limited spots available. Some dreams will be disappointed no matter what.

And returning skaters would be just as subject to that kind of disappointment as the younger hopefuls.