Michelle: Will She Return? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle: Will She Return?

greengal5874

Rinkside
A lot of you are forgetting something- There's a reason that Michelle Kwan is a legend. Obviously she is HIGHLY competitive- look at her decade at the top. Yes, she had a hip injury. Yes, it was repaired. She did not leave on her terms & you better believe that if the Kween returns to competition, she WILL be prepared.

Kwan is SMART & she was at worlds & believe you & me- she would not even entertain a return to competition unless it was to WIN. She always skated to win in the past, and this time is no different. I am sure she does not have any grandiose ideas of her abilities in comparision to Mao/Yuna. If the Kween is back- its to win

On the other hand, I would be thrilled for her to return in any capacity, just to see her skate again. But I feel she has infinished business. :rock:/I][/FONT]

(ps- sorry about the underlining, I tried to do just one word, but it kept going crazy)

Last edited by a moderator:
(ps- sorry about the underlining, I tried to do just one word, but it kept going crazy)

I don't know why that happens once in a while. The HTML commands get all confused. Sometimes you just have to close your browser and start over. :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
I remember reading that Michelle really did not enjoy shows. She liked to compete .

True, but things change, minds change, what didn't look desireable before, may feel differently years later...

That said, if she did come back, it would be amazing. And if she did win Nationals, or at least make the Olympic Team, it would be one for the ages. And if she actually medalled at the Olympics, that would be the greatest comeback in Olympic History, period. Legend doesn't even come close to that type of scenario.

All this has me reminiscing about Michelle and what she said just prior to the 1998 Olympics, about possibly medalling at three Olympics (mayhap even tieing Sonja Henie, as implied by the press), wanting to be a legend. Years later, the skate gods just might make that possible, though not in the way originally imagined. Anything's possible, never give up hope.:)

antmanb

Record Breaker
This is what I think. I do not particularly admire adults who try to extend their adolescence by continuing to devote themselves to children's games after they are grown up.

Hey MM, don't let the adults who are training hard for adult nationals hear you, or the adults who are competing in Oberstdorf, or it might "take them weeks to count the blade marks up your back" :rofl:

Ant

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hey MM, don't let the adults who are training hard for adult nationals hear you, or the adults who are competing in Oberstdorf, or it might "take them weeks to count the blade marks up your back" :rofl:

Ant

You got that right, Ant! I work my BUTT off to go to Adult Sectionals and Nationals every year with nothing in it for me but personal glory.

fdevine

Spectator
I'm hoping she might return to skating by touring again--SOI would be a wonderful place for her. I'm sad she never got to have a pro career, maybe that's what she wants now? I hope so!

Michelle has said over and over again, she doesn't want to skate pro and she loves competing. If she does come back, I dont care a bit what the reason is. I'd just love to see her skate again. If she does decide to tour that would be great too. If she decides to go for her master's at this point, well, that's great too.

If anyone can't tell, I'm a MK fan, big time. But I also like Sasha and Irina and some of the young skaters coming up. :)

grannie frances

Michelle Kwan 2010

fdevine

Spectator
or maybe she will run for Congress instead.

I love this girl!
:laugh:

Or.....

Michelle for President. :)

nubka

Final Flight
Will Michelle come back? Who knows? Why is the sky blue? What is the mystery of the Yeti? Do you know the muffin man...?? ;);)

A watch-pot never boils, and the waiting is soooooo hard. Just throw us a few crumbs Kween, anything...:p

fdevine

Spectator
. I totally disagree with the philosophy that Michelle, or Pluschenko or Shen and Zhao are taking someone elses spot by returning to competition. Spots belong to no one. They must be earned thru competition.

Return Michelle, and leave the others panting in your wake!

Well said. Thank you.

grannie frances

Michelle Kwan 2010

fdevine

Spectator
Thanks, Mathman. I don't know why I haven't been here for so long. Had to re-register here in February, then I don't think I've been here since.
I'm glad to see the board so active.

grannie frances :)

Michelle Kwan 2010

janetfan

Match Penalty
There is a rumor floating that Michelle will make an announcement sometime this summer, or possibly in the Fall.:cool: ;) :yes::) :agree::biggrin:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
There is a rumor floating that Michelle will make an announcement sometime this summer, or possibly in the Fall.:cool: ;) :yes::) :agree::biggrin:

So it is agreed that if she wanted to compete at Nationals she would not have to go through regional, sectionals etc? If she announces in the fall that would mean no GP, no international experience but then again she is the Kween. Kweens don't need experience.

nylynnr

On the Ice
Michelle wrote on twitter she would hold a press conference in June, so this must be a new rumor.

Anyway, if Kwan decides to return to competition, I know of no existing USFS rule that would allow her to gain a bye past regionals, unless she were assigned a senior B held around the same time (i.e., Nebelhorn). If she competed at Skate America, she would of course gain a bye past sectionals.

janetfan

Match Penalty
So it is agreed that if she wanted to compete at Nationals she would not have to go through regional, sectionals etc? If she announces in the fall that would mean no GP, no international experience but then again she is the Kween. Kweens don't need experience.

I agree that Michelle does not need the experience. Even her biggest detractor is not that foolish ;) Even the biggest stickler for the rules would admit how ridiculous it would sound to say "Michelle needs the experience" :rofl:

But Michelle - being the close to perfect lady and Kween that she is - recognizes that there are some who couldn't abide with even the slightest bending of the rules. Even for a Kween. So, of course she will do what is necessary to keep her legend alive. To keep her reputation untarnished. To keep the jackals at her feet away until she is ready to proclaim her destiny to the mortals who await her regal return.
And when the hour has arrived bells will ring throughout the land! Children will dance with joy and the ancient ones will weep gentle tears of joy.
And it is written that on such a day, from her Kweendom a cry will arise. "Long Live The Kween, Long Live Our Kween. "
And let it be said that Figure Skating will arise from ashes accrued in her absense and once again overflowing rivers of sweet cash will fill the empty coffers left in her absence.

Ok, ok, enough. What is my point?
"Rules, I don't need no stinkin' rules"

Last edited:

shah

Rinkside
I agree that Michelle does not need the experience. Even her biggest detractor is not that foolish ;) Even the biggest stickler for the rules would admit how ridiculous it would sound to say "Michelle needs the experience" :rofl:

But Michelle - being the close to perfect lady and Kween that she is - recognizes that there are some who couldn't abide with even the slightest bending of the rules. Even for a Kween. So, of course she will do what is necessary to keep her legend alive. To keep her reputation untarnished. To keep the jackals at her feet away until she is ready to proclaim her destiny to the mortals who await her regal return.
And when the hour has arrived bells will ring throughout the land! Children will dance with joy and the ancient ones will weep mighty tears of joy.
And it is written that on such a day, from her Kweendom a cry will arise. "Long Live The Kween, Long Live The Kween. "
And let it be said that Figure Skating will arise from ashes accrued in her absense and once again overflowing rivers of sweet cash will fill the empty coffers left in her absence.

Ok, ok, enough. What is my point?
"Rules, I don't need no stinkin' rules"

:rofl:

nubka

Final Flight
but michelle - being the close to perfect lady and kween that she is - recognizes that there are some who couldn't abide with even the slightest bending of the rules. Even for a kween. So, of course she will do what is necessary to keep her legend alive. To keep her reputation untarnished. to keep the jackals at her feet away until she is ready to proclaim her destiny to the mortals who await her regal return.
and when the hour has arrived bells will ring throughout the land! Children will dance with joy and the ancient ones will weep mighty tears of joy.
and it is written that on such a day, from her kweendom a cry will arise. "long live the kween, long live the kween. "

and let it be said that figure skating will arise from ashes accrued in her absense and once again overflowing rivers of sweet cash will fill the empty coffers left in her absence.

ok, ok, enough. What is my point?
"rules, i don't need no stinkin' rules"

!!! Lol !!!

Well, if Michelle answers she will skate competition next month, there are two TBAs in China, and one in SA. I doubt she will want to do GPs, she never did like them. I believe the new? rule allows for former Oly medalists.

If she doesn't skate GPs, for whatever reason, must she skate Sectionals to qualify for US Nats.

Personally, I doubt she will skate competitions this season. She doesn't even have a coach.