Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

feraina

Record Breaker
Oh, Caroline has tweeted that she is getting acupuncture for meniscus tear and is off the ice. :no:

feraina

Record Breaker
I just heard that Caroline injured her knee. I don't know how bad it is. :frown:

She said she didn't know she was injured. She skated on it for a while, but nothing was going right, and it started hurting more. She got her MRI's back today and she's going to the acupuncturist, I think to help it heal faster; she's supposed to be off the ice for at least a week or two. I just did a google search, and apparently acupuncture's supposed to facilitate the healing process. But it mentions nothing about putting a needle in the head! (which she said happened to her.)

I don't know who this Aunt Joyce is, but she sure relishes the opportunity to kick a victim when they're down already. Disgusting...

I think Caroline was probably having bad practices b/c of the meniscus tear. it's unlikely that she'd suddenly be having jump problems b/c of the growth spurt. She grew 5 inches last season and managed to adapt okay, she's not going to suddenly lose her jumps now that her height has stabilized. And while I agree that she probably spends too much time on the ice, I don't think it's a bad idea while she's getting used to her new height and body. In fact, this may be one reason why she adapted better than Mirai, who spends much less time on the ice. When your body is changing really fast, if you don't skate enough you end up not being able to regain all your skills before it changes again, so you're forever playing catch-up.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
This is not good news. Knee injuries can be serious. Wishing Caroline a speedy recovery.

I tore a minuscus many moons ago and eventually it did me in as a dancer. I hope they can repair the tear because removing it as what happened to me, may get you walking again but forget about sports.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Thank you for the videos Bob! They are beautiful. I'm so proud Caroline's landing loops like no business.

The injury though... I hope they can somehow "repair" as Joe says. I have not too much of a faith in acupuncture, but whatever works..

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Thank you for the videos Bob! They are beautiful. I'm so proud Caroline's landing loops like no business.

The injury though... I hope they can somehow "repair" as Joe says. I have not too much of a faith in acupuncture, but whatever works..

I have been doing a little research on minuscus tears. It seems that if it is not too bad, it can heal on its own. If it's bad, it will require surgery. There doesn't seem to be any agreement on how long it takes to heal. I've read 2 weeks, I've read 6 weeks, I've read months. We'll just have to wait and see. :frown:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I just heard that Caroline injured her knee. I don't know how bad it is. :frown:

I hope this is not bad. Caroline is the type who would over train to the point of injury. Does anybody know if the knee problem = the minuscus tear or are these two separate injuries? Knee pain in no stranger to skaters, we all deal with at least a little knee pain especially in our landing leg, but minuscus tears have potential to be more serious.

feraina

Record Breaker
It's the same injury. Ergh, this is really bad news, but least it's not a broken leg or something... She said she has a show in two weeks.

jjane45

On the Ice
I hope that Caroline heals fast, stays in good spirit
and Charlene uses this time wisely to connect with her...

It's the same injury. Ergh, this is really bad news, but least it's not a broken leg or something... She said she has a show in two weeks.
Broken legs can heal eventually.

Surgery for torn medial meniscus in my day meant removing the entire cartilege, but arthosopic(sp) surgery may prevent that. Didn't Plush's surgery work for him, if that was what he had done? Stephane, also?

If she skates in that show, I don't believe it wise to go as she would in competition.

feraina

Record Breaker
She says no surgery on twitter, so probably not a serious tear. Good that they caught it early.

As I understand how acupuncture works (separating the actual procedure from the folklore), I think it can help with pain management for this kind of condition. Practicianers also claim it can help with increased blood flow to the affected area, but I do not know if that is true or not.

I believe that part of the meniscus has its own blood supply, and so can recover on its own. But part does not, and requires surgery -- basically, removing the damaged cartillege.

Maybe Medusa or Bronxgirl will weigh in on the medical side?

^^^
As a patient of surgery for Torn Medial Meniscus, it can very well get worse. I hope she has a Sport Orthopedist to look into options. If there is a 'cure', then the doc should know. I don't believe it gets better by further use of the knees.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
As I understand how acupuncture works (separating the actual procedure from the folklore), I think it can help with pain management for this kind of condition. Practicianers also claim it can help with increased blood flow to the affected area, but I do not know if that is true or not.

I have read that acupuncture can speed the healing process for certain injuries, but I usually take such things with a grain of salt. I only hope that she is not doing this instead of going to a doctor. Ancient remedies may be a SUPPLIMENT to standard medicine, but must not be a REPLACEMENT.

feraina

Record Breaker
Caroline seems to be still planning on skating in a show in two more weeks -- maybe now only one week left. I really hope that she doesn't skate on her injured knee and make it worse! I'll be so sad if it negatively impacts her Olympic season. :(

skatingbc

Final Flight
I hope she isn't pushing that knee too hard. My sister tore her meniscus and has had three surgeries so far to fix it. I think part of the problem is that the pain isn't bad enough to keep her from playing the sport she loves. As long as she pops a tylenol or two she's fine. I don't know if Caroline could do that because of drug testing, but I think that was the biggest problem with my sister. She pushed through the pain when she shouldn't have.

I hope she isn't pushing that knee too hard. My sister tore her meniscus and has had three surgeries so far to fix it. I think part of the problem is that the pain isn't bad enough to keep her from playing the sport she loves. As long as she pops a tylenol or two she's fine. I don't know if Caroline could do that because of drug testing, but I think that was the biggest problem with my sister. She pushed through the pain when she shouldn't have.
Tylenole may kill some of the pain, but it does not repair the tear. Too much Tylenole leads to liver problems. Her best bet, imo, would be to exercise the thigh muscles to make up for the limited use of the knee. Not the best advice but what else if she insists on skating?