Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 86 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Can't find Caroline's SP from Four CC's. Seems like everyone else is up on youtube except her.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I just think she looks miserable like someone is forcing her to skate. That didn't seem to be the case a few years ago..

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MObZCjKHFaY
(It's fun, Zhang said.)

I think she's just tired of finishing off the podium. I remember she was quite happy when she finished third at World Team Trophy last year.

Also, I don't think she's happy with the scores she's gotten these past two seasons. Then again, you gotta factor in the mule-kick, the speed, and some URs.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think she's just tired of finishing off the podium. I remember she was quite happy when she finished third at World Team Trophy last year.

Also, I don't think she's happy with the scores she's gotten these past two seasons. Then again, you gotta factor in the mule-kick, the speed, and some URs.

Just a question about speed, to anyone who has seen these skaters live, just how much slower is Caroline's skating than Alissa and Rachael's? The latter two don't seem to be penalized for skating slowly and yet Caroline does....

feraina

Record Breaker
Wow, what happened to goldenskate? This new interface is so weird! The font is so small for one thing, and the smileys are all out of proportion...

Anyway, congrats to Caroline! Bronze medalist at 4CC, first medal at an ISU championship, Envelope B Tier 1 funding from USFSA next season. Yay! :) I didn't get to see it, but heard that she skated more relaxed/smiley/faster than usual, and looked happy for a change in the K&C. So happy for her to end the season on a high(er) note and a happy thought. :) Apparently she skated well except for the messed up 3Flz.

Now, I really hope that she gets some good rest, finds a good physical trainer, ditches Li and finds a much better technical coach. Arutunian isn't so far away, hint hint, nudge nudge...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Wow, what happened to goldenskate? This new interface is so weird! The font is so small for one thing, and the smileys are all out of proportion...

Anyway, congrats to Caroline! Bronze medalist at 4CC, first medal at an ISU championship, Envelope B Tier 1 funding from USFSA next season. Yay! :) I didn't get to see it, but heard that she skated more relaxed/smiley/faster than usual, and looked happy for a change in the K&C. So happy for her to end the season on a high(er) note and a happy thought. :) Apparently she skated well except for the messed up 3Flz.

Now, I really hope that she gets some good rest, finds a good physical trainer, ditches Li and finds a much better technical coach. Arutunian isn't so far away, hint hint, nudge nudge...

She did! She did! I was so happy for her (my roommate was a little freaked out). The feed was really lagging, so I can't describe the program in detail, but it's the best she's done all season. She was really happy in the K&C and when she found out she won bronze, she was beaming. SO proud of this girl.

Andalusia

Final Flight
It's become obvious that Caroline is more consistent and expressive when she's in a good position after the short. I saw the feed, and she looked relaxed and ready both before and after her FS. Is it any wonder that she was in a position to medal and skated last? She can't have been more well-trained or made much improvement since Nats, so it's clear that doing badly in the short and having no hope of medalling affects how she does in the long. Just contrast her before and after reactions at Nats to how she looked like at 4CC...

Anyway, congrats to her on the bronze medal. I'm confused when people say that it's her first medal at a senior ISU championship. She has medalled at senior GP events before (Skate America, Cup of China, and TEB) - aren't those considered senior ISU championships, too?

It still saddens me that she failed to live up to her early promise and make the Olympic team, but when one considers that no American lady stands a really good chance of medalling at the Olympics, perhaps Caroline doesn't end up losing that much after all. It is also unfortunate that we most probably will never see both her this season's SP and LP skated as well as they could be, for I think both programmes had promise. And if this season's crushing disappointments don't motivate Caroline to take steps in drastically changing her skating and training, I don't know what will...

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Anyway, congrats to her on the bronze medal. I'm confused when people say that it's her first medal at a senior ISU championship. She has medalled at senior GP events before (Skate America, Cup of China, and TEB) - aren't those considered senior ISU championships, too?

I think the Senior ISU championships are Worlds, Europeans, 4CC, maybe GPF (someone else please clarify that last one). But the component GP events aren't considered championships. Isn't it her first medal this season, though?

I agree with your last paragraph completely.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I am very happy Caroline made the podium, and that she seemed happy in the K and C.
Now go get some rest and let your knee and back get better. :clap:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I think the Senior ISU championships are Worlds, Europeans, 4CC, maybe GPF (someone else please clarify that last one).
Not GPF or the GP events. ISU Senior Championships are Worlds, Europeans and 4CC (plus Junior Worlds is an ISU Championship for junior age-eligible skaters).

Isn't it her first medal this season, though?
Yes. I've updated my unofficial, projected team envelopes for next season (Caroline, the Hubbells and McLaughlin/Brubaker all qualify for the B-1 envelope due to their 4CC medals): http://unseenskaters.blogspot.com/2010/01/2010-11-us-team-envelopes-c-projected.html

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
So happy for her, but this by no means her problems are solved. A coaching change is still in order. It is nice to see though, that she has a habit of peaking after Nationals, so if she ever makes the world/Olympic team she should do well.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm excited for Caroline and Amanda Dobbs too! They both did really well, and in Amanda's case, not having a lutz and struggling with the flip doesn't seem to be preventing her from getting good scores! So excited to see them next season :agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
So happy for her, but this by no means her problems are solved. A coaching change is still in order. It is nice to see though, that she has a habit of peaking after Nationals, so if she ever makes the world/Olympic team she should do well.

But if she can't skate well up to and including Nationals, especially with Flatt and now seemingly the emergence of Nagasu and Wagner, she'll be hard pressed to make a World/Olympic team.

janetfan

Match Penalty
But if she can't skate well up to and including Nationals, especially with Flatt and now seemingly the emergence of Nagasu and Wagner, she'll be hard pressed to make a World/Olympic team.

I think Christina will be a strong podium contender at Nats next season. There are others to consider as well. Let's hope Mirai and Rachael can get back the three spots which will make all of us a little happier

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Well, this Olympic team is chosen, so she needs to worry about next season. I'm pretty sure she has a good chance of getting 2 Grand Prix assignments with this medal. Mirai should be tough next season. As for Rachael, it looks like the puberty monster did a passover. If she gets taller, wider and heavier, her skating will suffer.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Christina will be a strong podium contender at Nats next season. There are others to consider as well. Let's hope Mirai and Rachael can get back the three spots which will make all of us a little happier

She did well this year but I'm not ready to annoint her as The Next Big One just yet. Although she came in 5th, she was quite a distance behind 4th in point total, let alone the top 3. Still, this might mean she will get some senior GPs next fall.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, this Olympic team is chosen, so she needs to worry about next season. I'm pretty sure she has a good chance of getting 2 Grand Prix assignments with this medal. Mirai should be tough next season. As for Rachael, it looks like the puberty monster did a passover. If she gets taller, wider and heavier, her skating will suffer.

Ugh, I HATE the term "puberty monster". Oh noes, it's gonna stomp over and eat her! :rofl:

Flatt is 17; she already has a normal, healthy build to her (she's not a stick figure like most other skaters). The one thing she has to worry about long-term is staying healthy (one has to wonder whether all those 3-3's will catch up to her at some point??) And if she lucks into an Oly medal, who knows if she'll even stick around or keep up her competitiveness since she seems to be aiming for college. As for Nagasu, those URs will continue to kill her unless either the scoring system is modified to penalize them less, or she fixes them. If she can fix them though, I seriously think she can contend with the best in the world.

Joesitz's comment that she's a smoldering volcano waiting to explode is interesting. For me, she's like a smoldering volcano waiting to expire. I just don't have a good feeling about her skating. I look back on her juniors skates and see all the seeds of her present issues there. It's not that she changed... it's that she didn't. What worked for her as a tiny tot just doesn't do it any more.

We'll see who's correct. I wish her the best but don't foresee much of a future unless she makes some big changes. But congrats on 4cc podium! She seems to like that competition.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I tend to think Rachael, Caroline, and Mirai are all through the biggest of physical changes. Their weight might shift a little bit but I don't expect any of them to grow taller or gain much weight at this point. Christina is the one we will have to watch and see if her jumps stay with her once she grows. I guess she is almost 16 and may be naturally stick thin, I have no fears that she will get heavy, she might just end up taller than ideal for a skater. I don't know how tall she is now but I think it gets harder for skaters once they reach 5'6" or 5'7", or at least Carolina, Alexe, Kiira seem to struggle with inconsistency and are all around that height. 5'5" is fine though that's what Yuna and a lot of other ladies are and it seems like a good height for skating, and judging by how much Christina physically resembles Yuna at a young age, she will probably end up being built like Yuna once she matures. Her jumps are super solid though so even if she does get really tall it might not matter.