Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 81 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
How's Caroline's speed going?

Speed was not great, but she was trying to avoid running into other girls. I think the mule-kick is less pronounced. Caroline did the 'tano at Skate for the Heart. I will try to find the video when I have more time.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Speed was not great, but she was trying to avoid running into other girls. I think the mule-kick is less pronounced. Caroline did the 'tano at Skate for the Heart. I will try to find the video when I have more time.

Have you seen any clips of Caroline's practice in Spokane?

nylynnr

On the Ice
In addition to the problems with Caroline's back, noted above, coach Li said she had been having problems with a swollen knee (now mostly gone) and numerous issues with her skates (only recently resolved). So we will see.

feraina

Record Breaker
Oh! So she did try out briefly with Richard Callaghan, as was speculated on the boards, but "balked at moving to Florida." I guess it's understandable. At 16, she's still very young to be moving across the country, and I guess with the current economy, neither of her parents could move jobs easily. And it was that knee injury that made her panick and go back to Li instead of staying with Wong.

Well, it sounds like she's had a really tough year, with all the coaching changes and the injuries. I really hope that she skates to her own satisfaction this week, no matter where she places. I really miss the smiley Caroline who enchants the world with her skating! :love:

carolinefan177

On the Ice
From Sylvia's twitter:

"Going back to Caroline Zhang's 20 min warmup in Grp 2, once again she went straight into her triples: 3Lo-2T-'tano 2Lo, 3Lo, 3F, 3F fall,

Two 3F-3T, outside spread eagle (smiling) to 3Lo, 3F-3T, 3Lz-2T, 3S, 2A to spiral sequence and spins to end. More expressive facially, a +. "

I've got to say, Caroline is quite determined. I think that's what I like best about her, something I also like about Mao. Regardless of their circumstances, they always seem to just "go for it."

I've also noticed that Caroline seems to have more trouble landing the triple flip on its own than in combination with the toe; that is kind of odd.

At any rate,

I'm wishing her the best, and I hope she proves to everyone that she truly is worth the praise.

kate

On the Ice
I've also noticed that Caroline seems to have more trouble landing the triple flip on its own than in combination with the toe; that is kind of odd.

Some skaters have different timing for combinations than they do for solo jumps. Usually this is worse for the combination, but it can go the other way too. Also, if nerves factor in at all, when you do a combination, you're usually concentrating a little more on the second jump, which can be what you need to get through a "problem" jump.

Oh! So she did try out briefly with Richard Callaghan, as was speculated on the boards, but "balked at moving to Florida." I guess it's understandable. At 16, she's still very young to be moving across the country, and I guess with the current economy, neither of her parents could move jobs easily.

Honestly, 16 really isn't very young, in skating terms, to be moving across country to train. Even alone. I know a lot of people who did at 14 and 15, and they weren't competing for a spot on the Olympic team that year. Moving away at that age and level is not remotely uncommon in skating, and pairs skaters and dancers do it at much lower levels.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
According to practice reports, Caroline has been having problem with the flip all week. Between that and the back injury, I can't see her having anything like what could be called a sucessful showing here.

As for the move to Callaghan, I am not enthusiastic. He was not able to help Jenney Kirk or Kimmie when they moved out to him, I don't know why he would help Caroline.

janetfan

Match Penalty
According to practice reports, Caroline has been having problem with the flip all week. Between that and the back injury, I can't see her having anything like what could be called a sucessful showing here.

As for the move to Callaghan, I am not enthusiastic. He was not able to help Jenney Kirk or Kimmie when they moved out to him, I don't know why he would help Caroline.

Sorry to hear about Caroline's injury problems. Hope she does OK tonight.

Go Caroline!

LeCygne

Final Flight
At least she has semi-decent draw this time. Not that I expect it will help her scores at all, but at least she's not the only one skating two hours before the rest of the contenders. Anyway, I hope she does well and smiles in the K&C instead of cringing and looking disappointed. I miss her smile.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm so sad for Caroline, and Alissa too :cry::cry: . I think they may have just taken themselves out of the running for those Olympic spots but I guess it's too soon to tell.

Way to go Mirai, Rachael, and Christina though!

Sasha and Ashley better bring it! :rock:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Caroline did not do her pearl spin. She never leaves that out. Her back must still be hurting her really bad. :cry: Screw the Olympics, Worlds, and all that. Take some time off and recover. Get well. That's what's important.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Caroline did not do her pearl spin. She never leaves that out. Her back must still be hurting her really bad. :cry: Screw the Olympics, Worlds, and all that. Take some time off and recover. Get well. That's what's important.

Another thing. She looks like she's gotten really tall. She was the tallest in the warmup group behind Alexe, I was noticing the length of her torso and it is quite long. Anyone know how tall she is now?