Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 82 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Caroline needs to step back and just reflect on what she wants. I think the fact is that skating seems laborious for her. She needs to sit back and remember why she loves it.

I think we all forget that she's just 16. She has another chance in 2014 if she really wants it,.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
It is heartbreaking seeing her looking down and clinging onto that board before taking a seat at the K&C. I just hope she finds joy in skating again.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Caroline did not do her pearl spin. She never leaves that out. Her back must still be hurting her really bad. :cry: Screw the Olympics, Worlds, and all that. Take some time off and recover. Get well. That's what's important.

Totally agree. Take care of your health Caroline. I would love to send her
a message wishing her luck in her LP.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think we all forget that she's just 16. She has another chance in 2014 if she really wants it,.

Precisely. It's not over yet. But she has some really big issues with her skating and likewise, big questions coming up over the next cycle. Does she wish to put in the hard work to get to the top? Is she content where she is? (By her reactions after her performances, clearly not.) Or is it time to retire and move onto other things in life?

inside edge

On the Ice
I think Caroline needs to step back and just reflect on what she wants. I think the fact is that skating seems laborious for her. She needs to sit back and remember why she loves it.

:yes: :yes:

cornell08

Final Flight
But she's never really shown that she's loved skating in her competition performances-- only in her exhibitions. Even at 4CC during the freeskate, she only started to enjoy herself and come alive after her jumps were completed. Winning skaters usually skate with joy and their faces show they love the sport. But even while Caroline had a win streak when she was in the JGP and first year seniors she never really even smiled, let alone skated exhuberantly during competition. I felt really bad for her last night, but it had to happen. I hope she takes this as a big wakeup call to get a good ("my way or the high way") coach who can help her. She needs to learn how to love skating her entire competition program.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
her score was correct--but as always they overmarked and overllo0k--sasha slow skate-and incorrect landing and incorrect take off--landing combo, takeoff and landing flip=-
didn't ur alissa fall and ashley when clearly landed incorrect,
didn't overlook
rachel landing on combo-all should have had -1 in pc not plus 1 and plus 2'2
they are r-part of r is the fact they they majority group allows the majority to screw up /overlook mistakes and give them high scores in tech and pc's
but forcing ethnic skater to skate perfect and not overlooking their mistkes.
sorry but that is what happed.
just zhang score was correct-but top 5 was overmarked by 5 points miminumin

fairly4

Medalist
also too many junior an dnovice skaters are better than her.so her conitnuinng on is a long shot-they are going to purposely look for her miskaters while overlooking others--especially tom's skaters --why

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Caroline should try to find a partner and do pairs, then she wouldn't have to jump so much but she could still skate and be good. For some reason I think she would look nice skating with a guy haha.

Binthere

On the Ice
This sport, the short program especially, can be the cruelest.

Hope she heals her body, and that the heart and mind then follow.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think Caroline should try to find a partner and do pairs, then she wouldn't have to jump so much but she could still skate and be good. For some reason I think she would look nice skating with a guy haha.

Maybe. She is a little tall now for pairs, but she seems very light. Honestly though, For pairs you need jumps that can match your partners and she will have to skate with a 10 year old boy for double axels that match hers. I can't really see her standing up on those triple throws either. Her technique is not really strong enough for dance, and that would be pretty much starting from scratch.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe. She is a little tall now for pairs, but she seems very light. Honestly though, For pairs you need jumps that can match your partners and she will have to skate with a 10 year old boy for double axels that match hers. I can't really see her standing up on those triple throws either. Her technique is not really strong enough for dance, and that would be pretty much starting from scratch.

Maybe. Caroline seems pretty strong though, and Amanda Dobbs does pairs and she's 5'5" which is taller than Caroline! Idk it just seems like in pairs you don't need to do as many jumps to be good. Caro has a good 3sal so that could be the side by side jump she does. Like I said it was just something I thought of.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
At this point, it would be easy to think that Caroline is finished with skating, but that's the way it always looks after a bad performance. We know she was hit with several injuries in a short period of time, which messed up her training. She is still hurt because she could not do her pearl spin.

The best thing for her to do is finish the competition, then take the rest of the season off to heal up and get back into training. I just have a bad feeling that somebody is pushing Caroline into these events when she is not ready. :mad:

R.D.

Record Breaker
At this point, it would be easy to think that Caroline is finished with skating, but that's the way it always looks after a bad performance. We know she was hit with several injuries in a short period of time, which messed up her training. She is still hurt because she could not do her pearl spin.

The best thing for her to do is finish the competition, then take the rest of the season off to heal up and get back into training. I just have a bad feeling that somebody is pushing Caroline into these events when she is not ready. :mad:

:scratch: So you're saying, essentially, that she should have WD from the competition?

jjane45

On the Ice
From what I've heard so far about her work ethic, it's likely Caroline who pushes herself hard into the competitions regardless of injury.
My heart was broken last night. She was so tense on and off the ice. I wish fans can absorb her pressure!!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
:scratch: So you're saying, essentially, that she should have WD from the competition?

It now appears she should have.

From what I've heard so far about her work ethic, it's likely Caroline who pushes herself hard into the competitions regardless of injury.
My heart was broken last night. She was so tense on and off the ice. I wish fans can absorb her pressure!!

I am hoping she is putting this pressure on herself. I would hate to think that she feels she needs to land big endorsement deals so she can support her grandparents' village back in China. I know that sounds silly, but that is my fear. :cry:

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
Caroline's Back, VERY WORRISOME

With her bad technique on all her jumps, and these recent reports that she is having back problems, I think this is a huge indicator of where she is headed. She is going to break her back and not be able to skate ever again. If she keeps on going the way she does. Having good posture and technique are essential traits towards being a good skater. I don't think she has this. And I think that Pearl Spin is also a reason why her back is not as in good shape.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I am hoping she is putting this pressure on herself. I would hate to think that she feels she needs to land big endorsement deals so she can support her grandparents' village back in China. I know that sounds silly, but that is my fear. :cry:

You're right, this sounds incredibly silly. I doubt the welfare of villages in China are much in her thoughts. I've no doubt she (or her family) would love to see her get the big endor$$$$$ement deals, but as a US skater, you get those by winning big competitions when it counts. The way she's going, she's not going to make enough endorsement deals from skating to support herself, much less others.

Caroline's problems started back, at a critical time in her skating development (around intermediate level), she went essentially coachless and picked up some bad technical habits. Never corrected. Got a coach that is too much of a marshmallow to deal with Caroline and/or her family (mother?), and maybe just not a strong enough techical coach. Was touted in the media as the Next Big Thing, had a taste of success on the junior circuit, at a time when her tech flaws were overlooked. Never corrected. I think this is where she started to get a little overcocky as to her true abilities. Then she hit the big time and hit a wall when all her issues started biting her in the backside. Now the Winning Momentum and the publicity have gone to others. I'm sure she doesn't like being relegated to the back seat of US skating now, but so far she doesn't show much awareness that if she wants to stay in competitive skating and succeed, she needs a complete overhaul. And that means....getting out of that old familiar comfort zone, and being able to take some coaching ToughLove.

The observation above about Caroline liking exhibitions but never seeming to find much joy in the competitive part, rings true, now that I think about it. She may need to come to the realization that competitive skating at this level is just not for her, and get out of it. I think her season is likely over after this Nationals, (or maybe 4CC), and she needs to make some hard decisions. And if a pushy family behind the scenes is the issue, she is old enough now to put her foot down and have some say in what the vision will be. I suspect the USFSA is frustrated with her visible lack of skating improvement this year--regardless of how she places at competitions. The injury excuse doesn't fully wash with me---you can be injured, not able to jump or do Pearl spins, but still improve stroking and power and learn to skate faster. She hasn't even done that. Sorry if this all sounds harsh. I really don't hate Caroline, but this season, I find her enigmatic and frustrating.

Last edited: