Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

AdamFan

Rinkside
The 'rumor' was posted in the Sekret Sources section on FSU because no one ever has the jutzpah to post it in the main section over there because of all the posters who will go nuts and get into a tizzy over it.

feraina

Record Breaker
Well, all that I could get out of Caroline is that she's in the process of making up her mind, and it's possibly out of state. Now that really opens up a lot of possibilities. Anyone wants to guess?

I think one of the Canadian coaches would really be amazing for her, either Brian Orser or Joannie Rochette's coach(es), but both are unrealistic...

OMG, what if it's Morozov!!! :eek: Oh, banish that thought, he's already got half of the Japanese team under his wings, he can't possibly take on more.

feraina

Record Breaker
The 'rumor' was posted in the Sekret Sources section on FSU because no one ever has the jutzpah to post it in the main section over there because of all the posters who will go nuts and get into a tizzy over it.

Oh, how do you view that section? I'm a paying member of FSU and yet I can't seem to view that section. What gives?

Wrlmy

Medalist
Well, all that I could get out of Caroline is that she's in the process of making up her mind, and it's possibly out of state. Now that really opens up a lot of possibilities. Anyone wants to guess?

I think one of the Canadian coaches would really be amazing for her, either Brian Orser or Joannie Rochette's coach(es), but both are unrealistic...

OMG, what if it's Morozov!!! :eek: Oh, banish that thought, he's already got half of the Japanese team under his wings, he can't possibly take on more.

But Caroline is a tiny little girl, and Morozov's got a pair of huuuuuge wings, so it seems. No.No.No. Ew.

So she's willing to relocate out of CA. She seems really determined. I really like the idea of Orser, which would mean David Wilson.

Off the top of my head, Caroline and Caro K should swap their coaches.

feraina

Record Breaker
Off the top of my head, Caroline and Caro K should swap their coaches.

:eek: Oh, I don't know. The last thing we need is for Caroline to lose her competitive nerves, her greatest strength besides her pearl spin. ;)

L

LKR722

I believe Orser has stated he will not take on anymore top elite skaters. It was mentioned at IFS magazine's website I think. As to feraina's question about the "Sekret Sources" section, I think you have to pay a certain amount to view the content, but I'm not absolutely certain about that. Thanks for the information about Caroline by the way, feraina.

feraina

Record Breaker
I'm afraid I don't have much of any useful information to report (yet). Whoever has access to FSU's "sekret sources" should pester the original posters for more info. ;)

Well, what seems certain is that she hasn't completely finalized her decisions, and she doesn't seem to want to publicize the coaching change until she makes up her mind.

AdamFan

Rinkside
Maybe Orser agreed to take Zhang on before he said no to Kostner?

It isn't like Kostner is going to win anything other than a few possible GP medals and a medal at Euros....all with extreme help from European judges and Speedy.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight

Joannie's coach Manon Perron has taken on a new responsibility as a manager of Quebec section for Skate Canada. She has transferred all of her students except Joannie to other coaches in her club, as it is next to impossible for to juggle both roles.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I was not expecting her to change coaches...but now that it is practically official....
I hope she does not go to Artunian. At least not until Sasha retires again. Sasha does not need all that competition and drama.

She should for sure go to Mr. Nicks if he is available. He gave Sasha and Naomi beautiful double axels...maybe he could fix Caroline's. Her family would not have to relocate either.

another possibility would be Christa Fassi. She is coaching at Toyota Sports Center (same rink as Evan, Bebe and now Mirai). She could be re-united with Mirai who is now taking from Mr. Carroll.

Andalusia

Final Flight
When I see clips of Caroline and Ms. Li in the kiss and cry, I think they are mother and daughter.

Why, because they're both Asian? :laugh: They don't look at all alike to me.

I'm shocked by this news, to be quite honest. At first, I thought it was some kind of ridiculous joke, but now that feraina has confirmed it, it has to be true. I know that Li Mingzhu didn't seem to be helping Caroline much in her problem areas, but I never expected a coaching change, because the both of them seemed quite tight. Caroline appeared to be kind of 'under her thumb', so to speak.

I'm glad Caroline might be making a move (a lot of us have been advocating a coaching change for her for a long while now), but I also wonder if now is the best time to be doing it. Look what happened to Michelle in 2002 when she left Frank. And really, can Caroline's lack of speed, jump issues, etc. be addressed in time for Nats and the Olympics? I don't see her covering much ice ;) in such a short span of time. Someone on another board also mentioned Jennifer Kirk, who lost her consistency when she tried to improve her technique - Caroline really can't afford to lose her most prized asset at this point.

Whatever happens, I hope it all works out for Caroline. She could be so unstoppable if she could fix her issues whilst maintaining her consistency. Oh, and not Nicks for her please; it's nice that he appreciates her as a skater, but Sasha, while gorgeous to watch, always had mostly crappy technique on her jumps (that flutz!) and subpar speed and edging. Caroline needs a real technician and jumps expert as her coach - what prominent coach best fits the bill? And is anyone brazen enough to ask Caroline about the coaching change on Twitter?

And having been home-schooled as well, I know that Caroline at least has an advantage in that she can move around and train somewhere else without having to worry about the change disrupting her life at school. :p

AdamFan

Rinkside
I think Kirk's issue that season was more that she grew and her mother passed away. It was disheartening, tragic and really affected her love for skating.

feraina

Record Breaker
Oh, how about Michelle Kwan if she decides not to make a comeback?! ;) I bet Michelle would make a very good coach. Brian Orser didn't have much experience coaching before Yu-na either, and turned out great.

Wish Caroline had thought of changing coaches earlier, and went to Frank Carroll. Ergh.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Originally Posted by Groshkova

Oh, how do you view that section? I'm a paying member of FSU and yet I can't seem to view that section. What gives?

The Sekret Sources section on FSU is only accessable to paying supporters of the site, not regular subscribers. There are several levels of paid support and I am not sure the cutoff level that gains you access.

Meanwhile a new thread there with speculation on who might be a good coach for her has been opened at this URL:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66584

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Why is Brian Orser seen as the second coming in terms of coaching?

I just don't understand it. Everyone is quick to jump on Tarasova's "success" in singles pointing out that all her students have been very accomplished technical skaters before going to her. Yuna only moved to Orser once she had her full jump arsenal and IIRC a world medal.

Orser is more or less unproven as a coach. Yes he has made imporvements to Yuna's skating but have they been so drastic as to warrant this "master coach" feeling? There is no denying she's an exceptionally talented girl who was already a technically and artisitcally accomplished skater before going to him.

Is it just that people simply love him from his elligible skating days? Otherwise i just don't understand why people are falling over themselves to suggest him as a coach for every single female skater.

Ant

Andalusia

Final Flight
Why is Brian Orser seen as the second coming in terms of coaching?

Ant

I think it's because of the worshipful feeling a lot of folks have towards Yu-Na; a little bit of that pixie dust can't help but rub off on Brian, too. :laugh:

Also, Yu-Na is the top female skater in the world right now, has broken all kinds of records, etc. Naturally, Brian is going to be attributed with some of that success, even though he might not have improved Yu-Na's skating that dramatically.

I will say, though; Yu-Na seems so much more confident since she's been with Brian. I think he has given her a sense of security. Plus, he seems like a very invested coach, too, what with his antics by the boards, etc. I guess that's why most regard him as a coach all troubled skaters should go to.

In regards to Caroline's coaching change, Brian's irrelevant anyways - there's no way he'll end up being her coach. Although Caroline could teach Yu-Na a thing or two about extension, and Yu-Na, well, there's a whole lot she could teach Caroline, too... :biggrin:

Mikoto

Rinkside
I just don't understand it. Everyone is quick to jump on Tarasova's "success" in singles pointing out that all her students have been very accomplished technical skaters before going to her. Yuna only moved to Orser once she had her full jump arsenal and IIRC a world medal.

Ant

No, Yuna moved to Orser after she won the junior title(2005-06 season). But yes, she already had all the jumps she has now including 3F-3T and excluding 3R.

She looked fragile and her expression was a bit understated at the time. Now she has strong presence on the ice. I think the credit goes to him or at least his team.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Interesting!!! I'm surprised by all the votes for Mr. Nicks though. Caroline already has much of Sasha's, and Naomi's, strengths, aside from a solid 2 axle. I think Caroline needs someone who can work on her basics-speed especially. I know she hasn't been dinged to harshly for her mule kicks in the TES department, but I would imagine non-mule kicks and better height/flow out of jumps should boost the PCS mark. She also skims the ice as she skates-which always bothered me about Sasha, leads to lack of deep edges, power and speed. IIRC, Sasha went to...Faye???...for help in this area pre-Turin, so obviously Nicks isn't the answer here. I remember an article where Nicks promotes spins and flexibility as a start point and we know Caroline excels in these areas.

I'd be happy if she could go to RA just because of jump help, and especially since she will still be around post-2010. If Michelle doesn't make a comeback, I'd love to see her coaching Caroline!!

One has to realize that there are Teaching Coaches, and Master Coaches. I do not know who taught YuNa the various elements when she first started training as a competitive figure skating.

It was Priscilla Hill who taught Johnny Weir the elements of competitive figure skating including his fabulous edging and flow over the ice, up to his remarkable 3A. She then brought him to TT to polish it all up.)

Why YuNa chose Orser, I do not know, but he has given her a sense of musicality and showmanship as well as a most promising Oly champ.

Is he yet a Master Coach? We'll see with Adam Rippon.