Page 114 of 118 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1757

Thread: Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

  1. #1696
    Custom Title LeCygne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    608
    Caroline skates last in the free skate on Friday. A first for her?? Best of luck to her, I hope she ends her season on a higher note than Nationals.

  2. #1697
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    wasn't there some kind of USFS policy (written or unwritten) that if a skater formerly in the A or B envelopes remained in the competitive ranks but didn't meet the criteria, that they would get a "soft landing" down to the C envelope for the next season rather than get booted out entirely? Didn't this happen to Kimmie, and Gregory/Petukov? Do you know if this is still likely to be the case?
    Emily Hughes and Gregory/Petukhov were in the Team A envelope in 2007-08 and were placed in C in 2008-09. There reportedly was an "unwritten" criterion at the time that envelope athletes weren't dropped more than 2 levels in consecutive seasons. Meissner and Liang went from A in 2008-09 to C this season due to a newly published criterion that reads:
    Athletes that were in the Team A Envelope the previous year and plan on continuing to compete will automatically be placed in Team C - Tier 1 if they do not meet the criteria for Team A or Team B.
    This criterion only applies to Team A envelope skaters, not B.

    BTW: thx for the very clear and helpful compilation of envelope criteria and qualifiers thus far for 2010-2011.
    You're welcome!

  3. #1698
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I would say that PR management/attitude is one of the few problems Caroline does NOT have. If you listen to her interviews, she comes across as very demure, reserved and modest. She never speaks ill of other skaters, of course very few skaters do. I don't see any evidence of an attitude problem
    She never smiles though, and she definitely turns off alot of people in the kiss and cry. Its less about her actual attitude I think, and more about how she comes across in this case.

  4. #1699
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,386
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    She never smiles though, and she definitely turns off alot of people in the kiss and cry. Its less about her actual attitude I think, and more about how she comes across in this case.
    I wouldn't say never. Just a lot of the time. Hahaha. But I think she's a adorable all the same.

    But she's three inches taller than me, so if I ever met her in person and told her that, it'd be kinda weird.

  5. #1700
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,692
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    She never smiles though, and she definitely turns off alot of people in the kiss and cry. Its less about her actual attitude I think, and more about how she comes across in this case.
    I just think she looks miserable like someone is forcing her to skate. That didn't seem to be the case a few years ago..

    ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MObZCjKHFaY
    (It's fun, Zhang said.)
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 01-28-2010 at 06:03 PM.

  6. #1701
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,134
    Can't find Caroline's SP from Four CC's. Seems like everyone else is up on youtube except her.

  7. #1702
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I just think she looks miserable like someone is forcing her to skate. That didn't seem to be the case a few years ago..

    ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MObZCjKHFaY
    (It's fun, Zhang said.)
    I think she's just tired of finishing off the podium. I remember she was quite happy when she finished third at World Team Trophy last year.

    Also, I don't think she's happy with the scores she's gotten these past two seasons. Then again, you gotta factor in the mule-kick, the speed, and some URs.

  8. #1703
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I think she's just tired of finishing off the podium. I remember she was quite happy when she finished third at World Team Trophy last year.

    Also, I don't think she's happy with the scores she's gotten these past two seasons. Then again, you gotta factor in the mule-kick, the speed, and some URs.
    Just a question about speed, to anyone who has seen these skaters live, just how much slower is Caroline's skating than Alissa and Rachael's? The latter two don't seem to be penalized for skating slowly and yet Caroline does....

  9. #1704
    Tanguera feraina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,149
    Wow, what happened to goldenskate? This new interface is so weird! The font is so small for one thing, and the smileys are all out of proportion...

    Anyway, congrats to Caroline! Bronze medalist at 4CC, first medal at an ISU championship, Envelope B Tier 1 funding from USFSA next season. Yay! I didn't get to see it, but heard that she skated more relaxed/smiley/faster than usual, and looked happy for a change in the K&C. So happy for her to end the season on a high(er) note and a happy thought. Apparently she skated well except for the messed up 3Flz.

    Now, I really hope that she gets some good rest, finds a good physical trainer, ditches Li and finds a much better technical coach. Arutunian isn't so far away, hint hint, nudge nudge...

  10. #1705
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,386
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Wow, what happened to goldenskate? This new interface is so weird! The font is so small for one thing, and the smileys are all out of proportion...

    Anyway, congrats to Caroline! Bronze medalist at 4CC, first medal at an ISU championship, Envelope B Tier 1 funding from USFSA next season. Yay! I didn't get to see it, but heard that she skated more relaxed/smiley/faster than usual, and looked happy for a change in the K&C. So happy for her to end the season on a high(er) note and a happy thought. Apparently she skated well except for the messed up 3Flz.

    Now, I really hope that she gets some good rest, finds a good physical trainer, ditches Li and finds a much better technical coach. Arutunian isn't so far away, hint hint, nudge nudge...
    She did! She did! I was so happy for her (my roommate was a little freaked out). The feed was really lagging, so I can't describe the program in detail, but it's the best she's done all season. She was really happy in the K&C and when she found out she won bronze, she was beaming. SO proud of this girl.

  11. #1706
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    510
    It's become obvious that Caroline is more consistent and expressive when she's in a good position after the short. I saw the feed, and she looked relaxed and ready both before and after her FS. Is it any wonder that she was in a position to medal and skated last? She can't have been more well-trained or made much improvement since Nats, so it's clear that doing badly in the short and having no hope of medalling affects how she does in the long. Just contrast her before and after reactions at Nats to how she looked like at 4CC...


    Anyway, congrats to her on the bronze medal. I'm confused when people say that it's her first medal at a senior ISU championship. She has medalled at senior GP events before (Skate America, Cup of China, and TEB) - aren't those considered senior ISU championships, too?

    It still saddens me that she failed to live up to her early promise and make the Olympic team, but when one considers that no American lady stands a really good chance of medalling at the Olympics, perhaps Caroline doesn't end up losing that much after all. It is also unfortunate that we most probably will never see both her this season's SP and LP skated as well as they could be, for I think both programmes had promise. And if this season's crushing disappointments don't motivate Caroline to take steps in drastically changing her skating and training, I don't know what will...

  12. #1707
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    beijing
    Posts
    1,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    Anyway, congrats to her on the bronze medal. I'm confused when people say that it's her first medal at a senior ISU championship. She has medalled at senior GP events before (Skate America, Cup of China, and TEB) - aren't those considered senior ISU championships, too?
    I think the Senior ISU championships are Worlds, Europeans, 4CC, maybe GPF (someone else please clarify that last one). But the component GP events aren't considered championships. Isn't it her first medal this season, though?

    I agree with your last paragraph completely.

  13. #1708
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    I am very happy Caroline made the podium, and that she seemed happy in the K and C.
    Now go get some rest and let your knee and back get better.

  14. #1709
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    For me, Caroline, is like a smouldering volcano waiting to explode. That will only happen when a new coach takes over.

  15. #1710
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I think the Senior ISU championships are Worlds, Europeans, 4CC, maybe GPF (someone else please clarify that last one).
    Not GPF or the GP events. ISU Senior Championships are Worlds, Europeans and 4CC (plus Junior Worlds is an ISU Championship for junior age-eligible skaters).

    Isn't it her first medal this season, though?
    Yes. I've updated my unofficial, projected team envelopes for next season (Caroline, the Hubbells and McLaughlin/Brubaker all qualify for the B-1 envelope due to their 4CC medals): http://unseenskaters.blogspot.com/20...projected.html

Page 114 of 118 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •